Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 09:16 PM

1,337 posts, read 1,523,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExcellentFudge View Post
I have a video camera and it within my right to ride on the road video recording things.
Sounds like a plan. Just make sure you don't inadvertently run afoul of the states felony anti wiretapping statute, which I am sure you are aware of. Not sure what state you are in, so can't offer you additional details on if that would be a problem in your state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,144,723 times
What did they do to "harass" you?

Old 07-06-2011, 09:22 PM

159 posts, read 632,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
You might try posing your question here:

Legal Help

But I would suggest that you grant power of attorney to your attorney and then pay him to go out and do the postings.

PS, No one likes bicyclists on vehicular roadways.
Thanks for the link.

As far as no one liking bicyclists on vehicular roadways, that is probably true. The town I live in has very sparse shoulder space on the roads. The state I live in supposedly promotes bicyclists and has summer rides across state for charity,etc. The difference is however, I do not like a legally allowed thing does not mean I can harass someone over it. We want laws and justice and we fight with words over many moral and behavioral issues but we somehow arrive at the fact that people can comply with things or be penalized by a heavier hand that has more weight on its side.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laysayfair View Post
What did they do to "harass" you?
Yelling at me out of their passenger window about 2 feet from me while they drive at least 40 mph and then an hour and half later seeing me again on the other side of the road and blaring their horn. I think I had a run-in with them a week earlier also at a traffic lighted intersection near my regular ride route. At that time I brushed it off but the passenger had yelled something incoherent. I did not let it bother me then but only the other night I put two and two together and realized that that might of been the same car a week earlier still being a jerk. I think they recognized my helmet and bike and backpack in this more recent set of incidents and continued their taunting. You see, when someone yells at you once or calls you names and honks their horn to distract you, you can let it go and consider it just a jerk. If they regularly do it and do not realize that they are creating a dangerous situation potentially then they should face consequences. Suppose when they road up along side of me and startled me with a yell that that did not cause me to crash my bike?

Here is another bit of info. The same day that they harassed me twice I had a town fire dept. SUV pull over and ask me if I needed assistance as I was walking my bike with a flat tire at that point. I asked them about the car harassing me and they of course could not tell me if it was unlawful what the driver was doing. All the fire dept. person could do is say that if they were breaking any vehicular laws then they would be culpable. The fire dept person did not even know or want to tell me that the car's behavior was not illegal.

Old 07-06-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Yelling at me out of their passenger window about 2 feet from me while they drive at least 40 mph and then an hour and half later seeing me again on the other side of the road and blaring their horn. I think I had a run-in with them a week earlier also at a traffic lighted intersection near my regular ride route. At that time I brushed it off but the passenger had yelled something incoherent. I did not let it bother me then but only the other night I put two and two together and realized that that might of been the same car a week earlier still being a jerk. I think they recognized my helmet and bike and backpack in this more recent set of incidents and continued their taunting. You see, when someone yells at you once or calls you names and honks their horn to distract you, you can let it go and consider it just a jerk. If they regularly do it and do not realize that they are creating a dangerous situation potentially then they should face consequences. Suppose when they road up along side of me and startled me with a yell that that did not cause me to crash my bike?

Here is another bit of info. The same day that they harassed me twice I had a town fire dept. SUV pull over and ask me if I needed assistance as I was walking my bike with a flat tire at that point. I asked them them about the car harassing me and they of course could not tell me if it was unlawful what the driver was doing. All the fire dept. person could do is say that if they were breaking any vehicular laws then they would be culpable. The fire dept person did not even know or want to tell me that the car's behavior was not illegal.
I wonder if you inadvertently and unknowingly did anything that pissed them off and they keep trying to pay you back for it. I see bicyclers ahead of me on roads doing things they shouldn't do and making me slow down to a crawl to avoid them. Since they don't usually have any rear-view mirrors they never know what havoc might be going on behind them.
I often think they should be required to have rear-view mirrors and some type of license plate or they will never know when they have erred. If you see those guys again throw them the PEACE sign, smile and wave. It may take the wind out of their sails if they can't **** you off.

Old 07-06-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I wonder if you inadvertently and unknowingly did anything that pissed them off and they keep trying to pay you back for it. I see bicyclers ahead of me on roads doing things they shouldn't do and making me slow down to a crawl to avoid them. Since they don't usually have any rear-view mirrors they never know what havoc might be going on behind them.
I often think they should be required to have rear-view mirrors and some type of license plate or they will never know when they have erred. If you see those guys again throw them the PEACE sign, smile and wave. It may take the wind out of their sails if they can't **** you off.
If it were the same guys that were at the intersection, then they do have a beef with me. You see, at the intersection, I waited at the red light and then seeing the coast was clear attempted to cross to the other side. I was too early as that car came to the intersection from the other side to make a left hand turn. I probably was a third of the way out into the road before realizing that the oncoming car was coming into the lane I wanted to cross. So yeah, they were probably ticked at me and I let it go as I realized that I jack rabbited too soon ( hence best wait at red lights on a bike until they turn green and lessen chances of being in the wrong and other legal woes).

OK, now if I see the same car again on my ride and they still yell at me or honk their horns, are they in the right? You can get in hot water flashing your lights at oncoming traffic (usually if you are warning about a radar trap, but I think the law is blanketed to cover the use of flashing lights as being illegal usage then) . How about using your horn unnecessarily? Or yelling out the window unnecessarily? When does the disorderly behavior line get crossed.

Here's the thing. I don't expect people to like me being on the road riding my bike. Adults do not go about taunting bicyclists and think that they are doing something legally approved. Whether I deserve being honked at or yelled at, well, can I yell at people in grocery stores or honk my horn randomly or taunt other bicyclists in my car? Even if the kids in the car needed to blow off some steam, at what point does it get to be disturbing that they need to still taunt me?

Old 07-06-2011, 10:24 PM

Quote:
If it were the same guys that were at the intersection, then they do have a beef with me. You see, at the intersection, I waited at the red light and then seeing the coast was clear attempted to cross to the other side. I was too early as that car came to the intersection from the other side to make a left hand turn. I probably was a third of the way out into the road before realizing that the oncoming car was coming into the lane I wanted to cross. So yeah, they were probably ticked at me and I let it go as I realized that I jack rabbited too soon ( hence best wait at red lights on a bike until they turn green and lessen chances of being in the wrong and other legal woes).

OK, now if I see the same car again on my ride and they still yell at me or honk their horns, are they in the right? You can get in hot water flashing your lights at oncoming traffic (usually if you are warning about a radar trap, but I think the law is blanketed to cover the use of flashing lights as being illegal usage then) . How about using your horn unnecessarily? Or yelling out the window unnecessarily? When does the disorderly behavior line get crossed.

Here's the thing. I don't expect people to like me being on the road riding my bike. Adults do not go about taunting bicyclists and think that they are doing something legally approved. Whether I deserve being honked at or yelled at, well, can I yell at people in grocery stores or honk my horn randomly or taunt other bicyclists in my car? Even if the kids in the car needed to blow off some steam, at what point does it get to be disturbing that they need to still taunt me?
First of all, I salute you for fessing up to your own misdeed. I really admire you for that. When you jack-rabbitted did you do anything to show the oncoming driver that it was "your bad"?
Did you do an apologetic wave or in some way show them that you did wrong and you were sorry to have scared them? Some acknowledgement? If you didn't then they think YOU are the jerk. If you did, maybe it was too small and they didn't catch it or it wasn't a good enough "apology". People get extra pissed when you do something that scares them that they could have been hurt or could have hurt you. If the PEACE sign does not work do a mea culpa and apologize. Acknowledge that it was a "dick" move. It will all be over and you both can move on. After that they'll honk and wave when they see you.

Old 07-06-2011, 11:03 PM

Quote:
First of all, I salute you for fessing up to your own misdeed. I really admire you for that. When you jack-rabbitted did you do anything to show the oncoming driver that it was "your bad"?
Did you do an apologetic wave or in some way show them that you did wrong and you were sorry to have scared them? Some acknowledgement? If you didn't then they think YOU are the jerk. If you did, maybe it was too small and they didn't catch it or it wasn't a good enough "apology". People get extra pissed when you do something that scares them that they could have been hurt or could have hurt you. If the PEACE sign does not work do a mea culpa and apologize. Acknowledge that it was a "dick" move. It will all be over and you both can move on. After that they'll honk and wave when they see you.
Thanks. Believe or not, this bothers me alot because I like my small town and do not want anger brewing underneath. I think foes can shed their beef and go on with life. That is more healthy and more 'adult-like'.

I can let it go and if they are still on the road bothered by my riding and still need to yell at me because of maybe a road error, then it is a lesson to me. I went to the police and I am trying to deal with my resentment that I will be harassed maybe all the time by this car if they think they are in the 'right' . It will come to an accelerated phase however where if they still harass me I will need to push back. They might be kids, but how do they not know that I might be willing to involve grass-root actions to get the neighborhood to keep an eye for these guys? You see, you can blame me for riding my bike dangerously once and I can see someone being mad at me for causing them anger but I do not go after someone if they walk out in back of my car when I am backing up and cause me a mini heart-attack. I blame myself for not backing out slow enough to allow for someone not looking (usually this happens in parking lots) for cars with reverse lights, but I am opening another can of worms.

Let's say they are even steven with me. They yelled at me and distracted me enough times to get the message to me. If they continue coming up behind me and maybe honking their horns or yelling, what are they doing then?

Oh, and after they yelled at me at the intersection and I rode on, I muttered " eff you" under my breath but they could not see my mouth then. They did not come close to hitting me and if they thought they could of, why are they reminding me of their rage with it and not just hit me from behind and get out their anger?

Should I wear a sign on my back apologizing? Gee, I'd love to do that along with a website detailing on how I am a crackpot for caring about trying to do the right thing. I'd love this town to know me as the guy with a slight case of crack-pot ideas. I'd love for the town to not even want to bother themselves trying to stir up my crack-pot big-mouth.

Last edited by ExcellentFudge; 07-06-2011 at 11:16 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old 07-06-2011, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Believe or not, this bothers me alot because I like my small town and do not want anger brewing underneath. I think foes can shed their beef and go on with life. That is more healthy and more 'adult-like'.

I can let it go and if they are still on the road bothered by my riding and still need to yell at me because of maybe a road error, then it is a lesson to me. I went to the police and I am trying to deal with my resentment that I will be harassed maybe all the time by this car if they think they are in the 'right' . It will come to an accelerated phase howver where if they still harass me I will need to push back. They might be kids, but how do they not know that I might be willing to involve grassroot actions to get the neighborhood to keep an eye for these guys? You see, you can blame me for riding my bike dangerously once and I can see someone being mad at me for causing them anger but I do not go after someone if they walk out in back of my car when I am backing up and cause me a mini heart-attack. I blame myself for not backing out slow enough to allow for someone not looking (usually this happens in parking lots) for cars with reverse lights, but I am opening another can of worms.

Let's say they are even steven with me. They yelled at me and distracted me enough times to get the message to me. If they continue coming up behind me and maybe honking their horns or yelling, what are they doing then?

Oh, and after they yelled at me at the intersection and I rode on, I muttered " eff you" under my breath but they could not see my mouth then. They did not come close to hitting me and if they thought they could of, why are they reminding me of their rage with it and not just hit me from behind and get out their anger?

Should I wear a sign on my back apologizing? Gee, I'd love to do that along with a website detailing on how I am a crackpot for caring about trying to do the right thing. I'd love this town to know me as the guy with a slight case of crack-pot ideas. I'd love for the town to not even want to bother themselves trying to stir up my crack-pot big-mouth.
Awww, so you didn't acknowledge your eff-up. You should have. It would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. It would have been the right thing to do. When you stir up the grassroots action make sure you tell the whole story even though you will look like a bit of a jerk. And when people ask if you made any attempt to let the driver know you were sorry, make sure you tell them "No".

The driver's are being vengeful and you are being somewhat arrogant in order to hold on to feelings of righteous indignation. You started it and you're older than they are. Be an example of how people in nice town's behave. They are nice town's because people in them behave courteously towards each other. A wave and a mouthed "Sorry" is all it takes. You can be big or you can be small. Your choice. I wish you what you deserve.

Last edited by laysayfair; 07-06-2011 at 11:25 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Awww, so you didn't acknowledge your eff-up. You should have. It would have been the gentlemanly thing to do. It would have been the right thing to do. When you stir up the grassroots action make sure you tell the whole story even though you will look like a bit of a jerk. And when people ask if you made any attempt to let the driver know you were sorry, make sure you tell them "No".

The driver's are being vengeful and you are being somewhat arrogant in order to hold on to feelings of righteous indignation. You started it and you're older than they are. Be an example of how people in nice town's behave. They are nice town's because people in them behave courteously towards each other. A wave and a mouthed "Sorry" is all it takes. You can be big or you can be small. Your choice. I wish you what you deserve.

The police will ultimately decide what flies or not. Believe me, if these guys do not back off it does not matter about etiquette in the eyes of the law. If these are the same guys at the intersection and my lack of judgment is going to follow me with them on the road, after a while they are the heavy. And yes, if they are kids, they will learn that you get to be a harasser until age 18 and then it goes into a new realm of someone that police keep a file on.

I started it and it is up to who to let it go? What would the police say to this scenario? So far they are neutral and have a town to patrol. I told you in my post that this behavior has worsen over past years. People are yelling at me as I ride along the roadside and I have to let it be. I have the license plate of someone who is making an effort to taunt me when they see me on the road. When will they get over being dissed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies