Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2011, 06:49 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
It's never made much sense to me when someone says they "disagree" with homosexuality. How do you "disagree" with somebody's sexuality?
Me either. It makes as much sense as a person saying they "disagree" with tallness.

How does one "disagree" with someone else's physiology?

Last edited by Ceist; 07-08-2011 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,387,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
Homophobes frequently refer to homosexuality as a mental disorder, despite there being no evidence to support that viewpoint. It is actually them, the homophobes who are mentally ill, often times relying on bogus and puerile religious doctrine to form their ill-informed viewpoints.

What do you think? Are homophobes suffering from a mental disorder?
No I don't think homophobes are suffering from a mental disorder.

Perhaps just mental deficiency.

I think the more intelligent and rational a person is, the less likely they are to be homophobic.

And the less likely they are to gullibly swallow the mindless rantings, distortions or fear-mongering of the anti-gay crusaders.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
As a heterosexual male there is nothing more pugnacious than another mans anus.
On the other hand, what woman have between her legs is a virtual passport to heaven! If that makes me mentally ill so be it.
So as a man who finds other men sexually disgusting, you'd be able to empathize with a woman who also felt men were sexually disgusting?

More to the point - if you wouldn't want to have sex with a guy, why should I have to?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:40 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunkisses87 View Post
So are you guys considering a homophobic as someone who disagrees with homosexuality? I've always thought homophobia was a phobia of some sort(i.e. an irrational or extreme amount of fear about homosexuality). If your saying the latter(phobia--fear of homosexuality) is a disorder I could definitely agree, but I don't think disagreeing with homosexuality (as a whole) is a mental disorder.
No, homophobia is the aversion to, discrimination of, or irrational fear of homosexuals.

Not all words follow their Greek/Latin break down.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:42 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelution View Post
Christians.
Funny because last time I heard there are "homophobes" that aren't Christians too. "Homophobe" is a loaded word, and it seems like you haven't put much thoughts into it.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:45 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,216,280 times
Is homophobia a mental disorder?

NO. It's just a fear and like the man said...

We have nothing to fear but fear itself.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:08 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80SC View Post
Homophobes frequently refer to homosexuality as a mental disorder, despite there being no evidence to support that viewpoint. It is actually them, the homophobes who are mentally ill, often times relying on bogus and puerile religious doctrine to form their ill-informed viewpoints.

What do you think? Are homophobes suffering from a mental disorder?
I'v never met anyone with an irrational fear of homosexuals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No, homophobia is the aversion to, discrimination of, or irrational fear of homosexuals.

Not all words follow their Greek/Latin break down.

When you get to define the terms, it's makes it easier to find people that fit it.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:15 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I'v never met anyone with an irrational fear of homosexuals.
Do you ever tire of living in a literalist world governed only by black and white concepts, and no room for grey or abstract concepts? Or does it take the burden of critical thinking away, making life that much easier?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist
When you get to define the terms, it's makes it easier to find people that fit it.

Do you propose a different word, then, to describe the weird obsession/opposition to innate physiological sexual characteristics that is typified by those purporting to "disagree" or "be against" homosexuality? Dazzle us with your knowledge of Greek and Latin. Get creative!

When you adhere to literal latin derivations to define your terms when speaking modern American English you come up with absurd or incomplete results.

Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Do you ever tire of living in a literalist world governed only by black and white concepts, and no room for grey or abstract concepts? Or does it take the burden of critical thinking away, making life that much easier?
What other kind of way is there to live then? Why would I want to live in post-modern world where nothing is concrete? It's easier than trying to live by other people's definitions of things.

Quote:
Do you propose a different word, then, to describe the weird obsession/opposition to innate physiological sexual characteristics that is typified by those purporting to "disagree" or "be against" homosexuality? Dazzle us with your knowledge of Greek and Latin. Get creative!

When you adhere to literal latin derivations to define your terms when speaking modern American English you come up with absurd or incomplete results.
How about "moral"? Honestly...if we disagree with you why do you have to play those stupid games and label us like that?

I suggest we coin a few new terms: how about moralphobe? Or logicphobe?

Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
What other kind of way is there to live then?
Reality?

Quote:
Why would I want to live in post-modern world where nothing is concrete?
Because self-delusionment is the worst kind there is?

Quote:
It's easier than trying to live by other people's definitions of things.
Which shows you don't quite understand that nobody is making YOU live by someone else's definition. It is instead YOU who are forcing YOUR arbitrary definition of things on "everyone else."

THAT is the beauty of "post modernism" or whatever it is you think you're rebelling against.

Quote:
How about "moral"? Honestly...if we disagree with you why do you have to play those stupid games and label us like that?
Doesn't work. "Moral" is too broad, and, given that just as many if not more people who are also "moral" have no problems or qualms with homosexuality (or may be homosexuals themselves), and do NOT think its immoral, you don't get to co-opt the definition and keep it exclusively for yourself.

Try again.

Quote:
I suggest we coin a few new terms: how about moralphobe?
Doesn't make sense. People are rarely "against" morals. They only have different notions of what "being moral" means.

Quote:
Or logicphobe?
This works for those who are "against" innate physiological characteristics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies