Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I was very upset to see that Obama was pushing for this cross-border trucking. Bush was big on this, but the Congress opposed him every step of the way and it never happened. Hopefully, Congress will block this DOT program.

I still don't understand why Obama wants to sign a couple more free trade agreements. Hasn't free trade destroyed enough jobs in this country already.
Think "globalist" and the pieces will fall in place.
Obama announced this trucking deal in March and Congress did nothing.
When it was signed a lone Dem is now putting forward something but I think it's too late.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,728,231 times
The GOP taking the house was indeed the kiss of death. Talk about sabotaging anything Obama wants to do

It's just how it works. The GOP cares only about the GOP and taking the WH.

The economy is a victim of partisan politics. Whether you want to accept it or not.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:29 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
The GOP taking the house was indeed the kiss of death. Talk about sabotaging anything Obama wants to do

The economy is a victim of partisan politics. Whether you want to accept it or not.
Pray tell..what got sabotaged in 6 months ?

Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Because we have far too many of them, they're paid far, far more than they're worth, and they don't deserve to be protected from the effects of the recession any more than private sector workers.
I agree that they shouldn't necessarily be protected from the recession. But that's different than saying it's "good news" when someone is laid off. It's never good news when someone is laid off. these people have families to feed and bills to pay, just like private sector workers. We're not "someone else". We're not leeches. We're actually Americans too, believe it or not.

Quote:
Originally posted by Oz in SC
Government produces little,it leeches off of the people.
This is what I mean when I ask why so many conservatives hate government employees.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:31 AM

4,884 posts, read 5,016,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Frankly I don't care if they are finished or not. I do not vote Dem, I just fear that people are going to vote in people who will repeat the mistakes of 2000-2008 which led the the meltdown.
It appears that we have repeated history and done exactly that. Doesn't matter about the D or R besides their name in the House, in the Senate or in the White House. It's the same old thing again.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 AM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How do you expect to keep an expanded government work force when your government revenue cannot meet the demands ?

Get realistic here..the US is broke.
The simple fact is that we can afford to have a lot of govt workers with competitive pay and benefits, or we can have a few with exorbitant pay and benefits. The unions obviously prefer the latter.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,904,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Another obama jobs disaster report.

Employment Situation Summary

Meanwhile, his rogue EPA is doing all it can to kill jobs.

This has to be intentional.

News Headlines

Of course, we all know this is "unexpected", a "surprise", don't we?
First of all this is not a partisan issue. Blaming Obama or the Republicans exclusively is just not accurate. The fact is that Obama shares in the blame. He has failed as a leader, seems to be not involved and delegates leadership he should be providing to others like Joe Biden and Nancy Pelosi. Honestly I wonder how the man stands erect with no spine.
But you should keep in mind that the Republicans played a huge role in this mess along with the old Democrats under Bill Clinton. You cannot build an economy on a house of cards or a Ponzi scheme and expect it to survive. Sure I can flip houses and sell credit default swaps and make the economy look good for awhile. But eventually reality will win out over schemes. Gravity always wins in the end and any economy will seek equilibrium.
The fact is that we saw this play before. It was called The Great Depression. And wise people like FDR put in regulations on the banks and investment houses that regulated and separated them. That system served this country well until the Clinton administration scrapped it in favor of a "self regulating" system. And many Democrats such as Barney Frank protected agencies like Fannie and Freddie from any oversight.
The Republicans, including George Bush, could not stand the thought of any regulation and the mess accelerated under that administration. And when the house of cards fell, they and the Obama administration made matters much worse with TARP and the bailouts.
I am of the opinion that the big banks should have been allowed to fail and fall including GM, Fannie, Freddie and AIG. Yes, it would have hurt for awhile but if nature was allowed to take its course, we would be well on the way to recovery now.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:34 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:

What EXACTLY has been done since last November to 'sabotage' poor Obama's plan to save us all????

Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
Quote:

LOL, Ok I'll bite. What was the game changer, that program or piece of legislation that would have turned that UE number from 9.2% to 2.9% if those dasterdly Republicans just didn't block it.

Give it up, this is all Dem.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:35 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,875,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post

This is what I mean when I ask why so many conservatives hate government employees.
GOVERNMENT produces little,it leeches off the people.

Are you denying this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies