Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2011, 07:26 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
The entitled will NEVER give up what they have today.
As evidenced by the rioting in Greece.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2011, 07:29 AM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Quote:
The entitled will NEVER give up what they have today.
Hah! They are going to cut entitlements. I told this forum 7 months ago it's going to happen. And I"m sure of it now.

Obama has already agreed to 10% spending cuts over the next 10 years. It will wind up being 4 dollars in spending cuts for every 1 raised in taxes.

The Senate Dems have already caved on raising the tax rates on those earning over $250K. So will get some minor increases for the ultra rich and some loopholes closed.

You right wingers living pay check to pay check are about to get what you wished for. Less SS cola increases and cuts to your health care benefits.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:30 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,318,346 times
What have we learned in 2,066 years ???

"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

Cicero - 55 BC

So, evidently we have learned nothing.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:31 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Hah! They are going to cut entitlements. I told this forum 7 months ago it's going to happen. And I"m sure of it now.

Obama has already agreed to 10% spending cuts over the next 10 years. It will wind up being 4 dollars in spending cuts for every 1 raised in taxes.

The Senate Dems have already caved on raising the tax rates on those earning over $250K.

You right wingers living pay check to pay check are about to get what you wished for.
Are the left living paycheck to paycheck going to get exemptions or will they get hurt as well with cuts ?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Are the left living paycheck to paycheck going to get exemptions or will they get hurt as well with cuts ?
Yes. That's the sad part. The people that actually know what is going and attempting to make a stand on this are going to get their benefit cuts as well.

Old 07-09-2011, 07:38 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times
Actually know what's going on? Ha. I don't mind being able to keep more of my money. I'd rather invest in a retirement fund for myself instead of continuing to pay into a benefit that won't even be around by the time I'm 62 (which honestly will probably end up becoming 75).

Old 07-09-2011, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Actually know what's going on? Ha. I don't mind being able to keep more of my money. I'd rather invest in a retirement fund for myself instead of continuing to pay into a benefit that won't even be around by the time I'm 62 (which honestly will probably end up becoming 75).
Of course. You are clueless how SS works.

If you divert your SS funds into a private account, where are the current retiree's going to get their money from?

Don't tell me....you want to borrow the money from China?

Old 07-09-2011, 07:49 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Of course. You are clueless how SS works.

If you divert your SS funds into a private account, where are the current retiree's going to get their money from?

Don't tell me....you want to borrow the money from China?
I think it should be phased out... current and some future retirees continue to collect... other future retirees will have the option of staying in a SS with FUTURE CUTS being phased into SS to push them over the private plans...eventually it will be 100% private plans and the government will get rid of the SS tax and be less liable to future debts and at the same time, protecting taxpayers retirement...

Old 07-09-2011, 08:28 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,744,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I think it should be phased out... current and some future retirees continue to collect... other future retirees will have the option of staying in a SS with FUTURE CUTS being phased into SS to push them over the private plans...eventually it will be 100% private plans and the government will get rid of the SS tax and be less liable to future debts and at the same time, protecting taxpayers retirement...

Exactly.

We need to preserve all SS benefits for those who are now retired and those that are close.

Then gradually phase it out. And add High School classes that train students to live within their means and not rely on other people for their retirement.

Old 07-09-2011, 08:34 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Exactly.

We need to preserve all SS benefits for those who are now retired and those that are close.

Then gradually phase it out. And add High School classes that train students to live within their means and not rely on other people for their retirement.
You got about $3 billion a month in SS going to kids. SS was expanded over the years to include more people who are NOT retired nor working.

Get SS back to what it was meant to be..supplemental income for retired folks who worked and their spouses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies