Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2011, 06:28 PM

898 posts, read 830,460 times

Advertisements

Messianic Jews are not Jews, they're Christians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,898,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
The Bible has no teaching on homosexuality. .
Go, and learn.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:30 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,823,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
I thought I was on ignore? Jew is an ethnicity and culture, not just a religion. Get a clue. Half of all Israeli Jews are atheists. They are still Jewish.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomba View Post
Exactly.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Go, and learn.
I have. Perhaps you should learn what homosexuality is. Straight men having sex with male pagan prostitutes in the temples of the Caananite gods, in order to gain favor and fertility in their land is not homosexuality. That's what's being talked about in Leviticus. This was the common understanding that Moses was referring to in the 1st Century too, as indicated by Jewish legal experts like Philo.

While it's Conservative, not Orthodox, the Dean of the Rabbinical School at the American Jewish University, Rabbi Bradley Artson, has stated:

He looked up every reference he could find to homosexual activity mentioned in ancient Greek and Latin writers. Every citation he found described an encounter between males where one party, the master, physically abused another, the slave. Rabbi Artson could not find a single example where one partner was not subservient to the other.

"Homosexual relationships today," Rabbi Artson says, "should not be compared to the ancient world. I know too many homosexual individuals, including close friends and relatives, who are committed to one another in loving long-term monogamous relationships. I know too many same-sex couples that are loving parents raising good descent ethical children. Who's to say their family relationships are less sanctified in the eyes of God than mine is with my wife and our children?"

http://www.jewishjournal.com/opinion...on_8_20081028/

Orthodox leaders did submit a statement on the issue last year, basically saying gays deserve respect and dignity, they should not seek therapy they deem as harmful, and should generally not pursue relationships/marriage with the opposite sex. So while, by tradition they may still reject certain same-sex activity (and even what that includes is debated), they take a less harmful stance than most conservative Christians.

Last edited by Fiyero; 07-17-2011 at 06:42 PM..

Old 07-17-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
I thought I was on ignore? Jew is an ethnicity and culture, not just a religion. Get a clue. Half of all Israeli Jews are atheists. They are still Jewish.
It doesn't matter what your DNA says or whether you like gefilte fish - if you believe Jesus is your Lord and Savior, you are a Christian. Halacha looks very differently upon those genetic Jews who are atheist vs. those who worship Jesus (or adopt any other religion, for that matter).

Old 07-17-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
I have. Perhaps you should learn what homosexuality is. Straight men having sex with male pagan prostitutes in the temples of the Caananite gods, in order to gain favor and fertility in their land is not homosexuality. That's what's being talked about in Leviticus. This was the common understanding that Moses was referring to in the 1st Century too, as indicated by Jewish legal experts like Philo.
From My Jewish Learning website:

"The basis of the prohibition against homosexual acts derives from two biblical verses in Leviticus: “Do not lie with a male as one lies with a woman; it is an abhorrence” (Leviticus 18:22) and “If a man lies with a male as one lies with a woman, the two of them have done an abhorrent thing; they shall be put to death—their bloodguilt is upon them” (Leviticus 20:13). The Torah considers a homosexual act between two men to be an abhorrent thing (to’evah), punishable by death—a strong prohibition."

As you can see, there is no mention of straight men having sex with pagan male prostitutes in these verses. The language is plain as day. Specifically, the Torah prohibition is against sodomy. Maybe the Reform movement wrote a new and different Torah??

Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 PM

Quote:
From My Jewish Learning website:

"The basis of the prohibition against homosexual acts derives from two biblical verses in Leviticus: “Do not lie with a male as one lies with a woman; it is an abhorrence” (Leviticus 18:22) and “If a man lies with a male as one lies with a woman, the two of them have done an abhorrent thing; they shall be put to death—their bloodguilt is upon them” (Leviticus 20:13). The Torah considers a homosexual act between two men to be an abhorrent thing (to’evah), punishable by death—a strong prohibition."

As you can see, there is no mention of straight men having sex with pagan male prostitutes in these verses. The language is plain as day. Specifically, the Torah prohibition is against sodomy. Maybe the Reform movement wrote a new and different Torah??
Or maybe my Jewish learning isn't telling the whole picture. A to'evah is not abhorrent. Wearing cotton and polyester fabric or planting 2 crops in the same field are also "to'evah". To'evah was a cultural taboo put in place to distinguish the Israelites from the Caananites and Egyptians.

You also are ignoring the context and structure of Leviticus 18. Leviticus 17 talks of pagan prostitution. Leviticus 6-20 refers to incestual relations and the idolatry of the Caananites. Verse 21 changes the subject to pagan worship practices, specifically referring to Molech. It includes child sacrifice and pagan prostitution. Verse 22 is right in the middle of the pagan worship discussion. Why would they arbitrarily throw sexual prohibitions smack in the middle of the discussion of pagan worship practices and Molech, if they weren't referring to idolatry?

Leviticus 18:22 would more accurately say "Do not have sex with male temple prostitutes", as the Torah says in Deuteronomy 23. However, even in the original Hebrew, the verse says a Man shall not "shakab" (which is always used to refer to forced/deceptive sex) another man, in the lyings (beds) of a woman. It doesn't make much sense in English. A man can not have sex with another man the same way he does a woman, since men don't have the same genitalia. If it's referring to the "beds" as the literal hebrew states, then it merely prohibits the location.
Everyone apparently ignores the context of Leviticus, even you, and they quote that verse out of context to condemn modern day gays. It's crappy hermeneutics, and completely dishonest scholariship.

And to get this back on topic, it's this crappy scholarship and blatant disregard for context that makes people like Michelle Bachmann so annoying. She hates gays because she hasn't the foggiest understanding of the Bible, but pretends she does.

Old 07-17-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter what your DNA says or whether you like gefilte fish - if you believe Jesus is your Lord and Savior, you are a Christian. Halacha looks very differently upon those genetic Jews who are atheist vs. those who worship Jesus (or adopt any other religion, for that matter).
Good for them. Doesn't make them right. While I'm well aware Judaism holds not authority to the NT, it does say most Jews would specifically reject Jesus and cut off those who follow him, to pave the way for the Gentiles. Meaning Biblically, Jews are supposed to behave like they do regarding non-Gentile messianics. The apostles didn't cease being practicing Jews, just because Jesus ministered to them.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:05 PM

204 posts, read 202,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Are they a part of Satan as well, or is it only gay Democrats?
Still claiming that someone said gays are part of satan??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies