Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you start to/continue patronizing this restaurant?
Yes! It is about time 118 89.39%
No, this is completely unreasonable 14 10.61%
Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 05:58 PM

9,394 posts, read 15,694,356 times

Advertisements

Be responsible and take your kids to restaurants where little kids yelling isn't a problem. That doesn't exclude all fine cuisine; if you know the chain Fogo de Chao then you know they have some kick-ass meat. But their locations are also very loud and you regularly have little kids there and they're not a bother.

My dad and stepmom have two very little kids and they never go to fancy/quiet restaurants with them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2011, 06:10 PM

2,417 posts, read 3,562,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

I like the idea of charging more for apartments/houses for people with kids. I have to pay an extra $75 a month for my two dogs who have never caused any damage to a place I've rented, kids are far more destructive.
but they'd never get away with it but I agree, children are oftentimes way worse than any pets but they stick it to pet owners b/c they can.

Old 07-17-2011, 06:17 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,054,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This was already posted in the local forum for this story, but I thought it highlighted some more widespread social issues.

Children under six banned from Pennsylvania restaurant

As the ACLU has already released a statement that this does not violate any anti-discrimination legislation, this is not a legal issue, however I am wondering what people's thoughts are.
As a person who raised two very polite, well behaved children that we could take anywhere, I agree with this restaurant 100%.

Today's parents seem to have raised millions of ill behaved, spoiled whiners.

I'm tired of sitting near this...."jimmy, stop that! jimmy, stop that! jimmy stop that!" over and over and over again. I'm tired of kids running all over the place annoying everyone except their clueless parents.

Old 07-17-2011, 08:42 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,568,977 times
I don't have a problem with policies such as this one under any circumstances.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:58 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
I can't count the times I had to leave an eatery earlier than I planned because of ill-behaved children. Worst of all the is the parents who do nothing about it. I would like to see a ban on all children under 12 from all restaurants. However, I see no problem with fast food joints allowing children of all ages. Coffee shops and eateries with wifi should also ban children.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:18 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
As a person who raised two very polite, well behaved children that we could take anywhere, I agree with this restaurant 100%.

Today's parents seem to have raised millions of ill behaved, spoiled whiners.

I'm tired of sitting near this...."jimmy, stop that! jimmy, stop that! jimmy stop that!" over and over and over again. I'm tired of kids running all over the place annoying everyone except their clueless parents.
No, it's more like, "Brandon . . . (or Hunter or Porter or Grayson or some other white trash soap opera name), please don't throw water on the nice lady, okaaaaaaaay? Thank you . . . Brandon . . . Brandon . . . BRANDON! Thank you, okay? Thank you . . ." while the kid is busy dousing everyone in his radius.

I agree with the restaurant 100% but like many posters before me have already said, I think it's so sad that MOST parents today (at least, it seems like most) are frankly incompetent and have ruined it for everyone else. That's thanks to modern experts and their permissive parenting philosophies. When "obey" and "punishment" are bad words, you know things can only go downhill. I, too, was raised to be on my best behavior in public places and knew there were consequences if I screwed up. I also raised a son who could be taken anywhere at any age and behaved well - part of that is due to his temperment and part of that is due to my strict parenting. My two younger children are still toddlers, but are more willful and louder and they will not be going into public places unless and until they learn to behave.

Dining out is such an important family activity that I'm truly disgusted so many bad parents have ruined it for the good families.

Oh, and about those "learning disabled" or autistic children - I'm very sorry for any family that has this challenge to contend with, but you do not have the right to impose your child's problem on society at large. What nerve! Keep these children at home or frequent establishments where you will find others like yourself and your child.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:10 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Overheard while waiting at the airport (and hoping that none of these kids would end up sitting behind me on the plane)

Parker, Mommy would be sad if you fell off that counter.

Tucker, it hurts mommy when you won't sit still.

Bailey, Mommy asked you nicely to stop crying

Riley, Mommy appreciates it when you don't stand on the table.

Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
This was already posted in the local forum for this story, but I thought it highlighted some more widespread social issues.

Children under six banned from Pennsylvania restaurant

As the ACLU has already released a statement that this does not violate any anti-discrimination legislation, this is not a legal issue, however I am wondering what people's thoughts are.
Dangit, I read too fast and voted wrong. Add another vote to the Yes column.

My thoughts are that if the restaurant wants to do it, so be it. If they lose customers b/c of it, they may change their mind. It's a business decision...are they losing more customers b/c people don't want to deal with kids in the restaurant, or are they losing more customers b/c there are families that now can't eat out with their <6 y/o?

Old 08-01-2011, 03:36 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I will jerk your kid up and haul them right back to where they came from, if I see an out of control kid.

I have always received an apology and the kid does not want a stranger to snatch him up and drag him screaming to his parent, who has the look on their face of... You actually touched my kid in their eyes, but know they themselves were in the wrong.

I have waited for the one parent to go off on me, but it has never happened.
You'd probably shoot them!

Old 08-01-2011, 03:40 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,303,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wow, so glad I'm not a kid today. Back in the 1970s my parents took us to a fine dinning local Cajun restaurant complete with soft table cloth, silverware, soft carpet, and well dressed waitstaff. We behaved ourselves because we knew what we'd be in for when we got home. While it is their right to do this, where does this type of decision cross a line? Banning blacks cause they too are loud? I'm also surprised at the type of restaurants you don't feel are appropriate for children. Olive Garden is far from fine dining. It's upscale but not fine dining. Slightly upscale chain restaurants are fine for kids and if the parents don't control their kids then the staff needs to inform management who should then speak with the family and ask them if they'd like to take their meal to go if they can't get their child to behave,...but in a more polite manner. Fast food shouldn't be the only restaurant for children. Expose the kids to social settings that don't involve a clown or chuckie cheese and food other than burgers or pizza. Infants shouldn't be at restaurants but I wouldn't ban them.
Exactly by the time I was six years old I knew how to behave in a restarurant. I don't know what parents are thinking about these days when they let their children just act rude and run wild.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies