Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 03:49 PM

4,437 posts, read 4,868,007 times

Advertisements

" We represent a diversity of faith communities — ranging from just war to pacifist traditions. As leaders of these communities, some of us initially supported the war in Afghanistan as a justified response to the September 11, 2001 attacks on New York City and Washington, D.C. Others opposed the war, believing there were better ways than military force to address the al Qaeda threat. Today, however, we are united in the belief that it is time to bring the U.S. war in Afghanistan to an end".

The whole letter and a complete list of the co-signers.

Aid, Not War in Afghanistan: An Open Letter From Religious Leaders to President Obama - Jim Wallis - God's Politics Blog
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2011, 03:51 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What our government/military is doing between the wars, money spent on the military and in general it's empire building is a direct conflict with the Gospel message; I shutter every time a president or other politician mentions God in one of their speeches supporting war; I doubt she would approve of her name being mentioned.
When our government does what it considers to be in its best interest while leaving out an option for the poor their actions become morally apprehensive.

As Robert Kagan has put it in his book that we have become a dangerous nation.
Dangerous Nation deals largely in ideas, especially the distinctive assumptions, beliefs and values that have shaped America's singular role in the world. Yet this, too, is in the end a book about power. And it is aptly titled. Americans, he argues, have long worshipped at the altar of Mars, the god of war.

Kagan, a senior associate at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and a Washington Post columnist.

His article
THE TENSION: Dangerous Nation by Robert Kagan

Old 07-15-2011, 04:39 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What our government/military is doing between the wars, money spent on the military and in general it's empire building is a direct conflict with the Gospel message; I shutter every time a president or other politician mentions God in one of their speeches supporting war; I doubt she would approve of her name being mentioned.
When our government does what it considers to be in its best interest while leaving out an option for the poor their actions become morally apprehensive.

As Robert Kagan has put it in his book that we have become a dangerous nation.
Dangerous Nation deals largely in ideas, especially the distinctive assumptions, beliefs and values that have shaped America's singular role in the world. Yet this, too, is in the end a book about power. And it is aptly titled. Americans, he argues, have long worshipped at the altar of Mars, the god of war.

Kagan, a senior associate at the Carnegie Endowment for International Peace and a Washington Post columnist.

His article
THE TENSION: Dangerous Nation by Robert Kagan
Kagan is a neo-con. I can't open your link, but he was in favor of the wars in the middle east. Robert Kagan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-15-2011, 04:43 PM

5,036 posts, read 5,138,344 times
Jim Wallace, Mr. Social Justice. Its so nice that HE is posting God's blog for God.

I could care less what Wallace has to say about anything. He seems to know little about the teachings of Jesus if he thinks Jesus would preach social justice.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:45 PM

12,436 posts, read 11,950,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucsLose View Post
Jim Wallace, Mr. Social Justice. Its so nice that HE is posting God's blog for God.

I could care less what Wallace has to say about anything. He seems to know little about the teachings of Jesus if he thinks Jesus would preach social justice.
I would say just the opposite, but that is just my opinion as yours is just your opinion.

Old 07-15-2011, 04:46 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
Religious leaders against War? Since when? They know, "there are no Atheists in fox holes".

Old 07-15-2011, 04:48 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
Quote:

Thanks! For me that makes reason #47 to reject Jesus.

Old 07-15-2011, 05:08 PM

The Empire, which today is the U.S., imposes its will on others with immense power.
The Empire sees itself as having the right to define for everyone the best expression of being human (individual success) and the most important values (the good life enjoyed by those who are successful.) It assumes for itself the right to identify what in time is important.
For example, 9/11 is now an important benchmark in U.S. history, and it is expected that the rest of the world will understand that 9/11 is the day everything changed.
Unnoted is the day in 1981 when a thousand people were murdered in El Mozote, El Salvador, by the U.S. trained Atlacatl Battalian (12/11), the days of the slaughter in Rwanda, the months two million people were murdered in Congo, the time of the 2001 floods in Mozambique, the bombing of Afghanistan (10/7), and the bombing of Iraq (3/30).

The Empire uses God to justify its actions, seeing itself as God-appointed to rule, God- blessed for the supreme role in human history, and also as the source of salvation for others

Where is God?

Let us begin by saying where God is not: in the empire.
But mysteriously, God is in all the victims that the empire produces--and that we all produce.
God is not very helpful in understanding the horrors of Afghanistan, Iraq and Africa
. But the victims in those places help us not to be confused about God
. He is not the God of the empire.
The most courageous believers will tell us: he is the God of the victims.
He is the God of Jesus, who was also a victim of the empire

Old 07-15-2011, 09:16 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:

While I don't agree with everything Jim Wallace says, I'd rather listen to him over James Dobson and the "Jesus was a Neo-con" club. (aka "Focus on the Family")

But actually it's best to read Jesus himself.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:19 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Any open letters from "religious leaders" needs to be closed as quickly as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies