Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM

1,615 posts, read 2,574,282 times

Advertisements

I'm 34 and i'm gay and i've only been with one guy and that was four years ago and i've been out since age 25, known i was gay since i was a child and i an NOT ugly, as a matter of fact i've been told I'm one of the best looking gay guys in my community.

I happen to believe that sex is meant to be with someone you actually love and i am deeply spiritual and believe that sex is not the main purpose in life. I do not LOOK DOWN on people who have sex with lots of people, i just think that we have different beliefs.

Yet for some reason i can't donate blood and i'm told that i'm a 'pervert' by people on discussion boards the very second i reveal that i'm gay and it's assumed that i have aids etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2011, 12:04 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
I'm 34 and i'm gay and i've only been with one guy and that was four years ago and i've been out since age 25, known i was gay since i was a child and i an NOT ugly, as a matter of fact i've been told I'm one of the best looking gay guys in my community.

I happen to believe that sex is meant to be with someone you actually love and i am deeply spiritual and believe that sex is not the main purpose in life. I do not LOOK DOWN on people who have sex with lots of people, i just think that we have different beliefs.

Yet for some reason i can't donate blood and i'm told that i'm a 'pervert' by people on discussion boards the very second i reveal that i'm gay and it's assumed that i have aids etc.
Anyone who is different is labeled as something with a stigma. I wouldn't be able to give blood either because I am on so many meds. Don't let it get you down. Be who you are, but don't go announcing it on forums. Why? Because believe it or not the stigma exists. If you want to deal with it, fine. If you don't want to deal with it, say nothing.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:06 AM

396 posts, read 906,060 times
Short explanation:

Because some in the gay community are. And those with an agenda highlight any negative they can find towards a community.

Long Explanation:

Our gender roles place men into the sex crazed aggressor role. Those who believe in strict gender roles are unable to think about men as anything less than horny sex crazed maniacs. Some religions even command women to cover up so as not to tempt a man since his sex drive is so uncontrollable! Notice it's always based around gay male promiscuity. It's never lesbians because women are taught to be repressed sexually and not to seek it out. Thus two women would, in strict traditional gender role terms, be in a sexless relationship.

It's a garbage stereotype. There are just as many straight people who are just as promiscuous.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:08 AM

1,906 posts, read 1,615,200 times
A gay friend of mine says it's because "those kind of people" only hear the word "sex" in homosexual, and they think that's all it's about.

A minority of my gay friends are promiscuous. Most have been in long term relationships for a decade or more. More of my straight friends have been promiscuous.

Funny those same people don't only hear the word "sex" in heterosexual.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:15 AM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
Probably because the only exposure they have, that they know of, is seeing "Pride Parades". Which are nothing to be proud of.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:17 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,515,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatsCats View Post
A gay friend of mine says it's because "those kind of people" only hear the word "sex" in homosexual, and they think that's all it's about.

A minority of my gay friends are promiscuous. Most have been in long term relationships for a decade or more. More of my straight friends have been promiscuous.

Funny those same people don't only hear the word "sex" in heterosexual.
What you said....plus it's a convenient excuse to justify bigotry and/or homophobia.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:18 AM

11,237 posts, read 11,015,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post

Ohhh... Here we go again.....

Did someone say you were ugly? Why the qualifier?

I commend you. You sound like a decent guy RL. I think you're a good guy that has a lot of issues you need to work out with yourself. That being said, why do you take to heart every word from other people? You know that you will receive opposition here on CD, yet you continue to take it personally. Sorry to say, it comes with the terretory.

Nobody assumes you have AIDS, but most people on CD who are familiar with your posts (gay and straight alike) agree that you need professional help. People have given you sound advice on MANY of the threads you have started, yet you continue with the victim mentality. You seem to only see the negative. I wish you the best in the future.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:23 AM

5,546 posts, read 9,995,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Probably because the only exposure they have, that they know of, is seeing "Pride Parades". Which are nothing to be proud of.
Yeah, I lived in San Francisco. While the gays in the Castro throw a Halloween party like no other, I don't understand the parades. I'm fine with the rainbow flag, but I don't even like the Fillmore St. parade so it's not necessarily a gay thing on my part. Someone who is gay please tell me...why do you need these parades?

Old 07-19-2011, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Yeah, I lived in San Francisco. While the gays in the Castro throw a Halloween party like no other, I don't understand the parades. I'm fine with the rainbow flag, but I don't even like the Fillmore St. parade so it's not necessarily a gay thing on my part. Someone who is gay please tell me...why do you need these parades?
I've never been to a parade mainly because they don't have any where i'm from but i've never felt the need too... i don't see anything wrong with them either.

Old 07-19-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
Ohhh... Here we go again.....

Did someone say you were ugly? Why the qualifier?

I commend you. You sound like a decent guy RL. I think you're a good guy that has a lot of issues you need to work out with yourself. That being said, why do you take to heart every word from other people? You know that you will receive opposition here on CD, yet you continue to take it personally. Sorry to say, it comes with the terretory.

Nobody assumes you have AIDS, but most people on CD who are familiar with your posts (gay and straight alike) agree that you need professional help. People have given you sound advice on MANY of the threads you have started, yet you continue with the victim mentality. You seem to only see the negative. I wish you the best in the future.
No, actually i'm considered to be a very good looking guy. guys and girls hit on me all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies