Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2011, 03:48 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,107,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Read my post. I said Vermont law may cover it, but that does not make it a "right." I've read quite a few posts on here implying that the inn owners were violating the couple's rights. They weren't.
I read your post. You said:

"You don't have the right to use someone else's private property. That is not a right. Maybe under Vermont law it's protected somehow but it is not a right."

I was simply rebutting that. All 50 states define businesses of "public accommodation" (what you call "someone else's private property") in their laws and then do not allow such businesses to deny service to any person because of that person's race, religion, sex, nationality, and in 21 states because of that person's sexual orientation.

This is a protection written into the civil laws of all 50 (or 21) states. What do we call protections, responsibilities, benefits, and privileges crafted by our civil law? - we call them civil, or legal, rights.

Everywhere in the United States, people have the RIGHT not to be denied service at a businesses of public accommodation because of their religion or race or sex. In 21 states, people have the RIGHT not to be denied service at a business of public accommodation because of their sexuality. Vermont is one such state, and denying these women the rental use of a banquet hall because of their sexuality violated that RIGHT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2011, 05:50 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,572,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Same-sex couple sues Vt. inn for discrimination - WCAX.COM Local Vermont News, Weather and Sports-

Can't respect the religious beliefs of a business owner, they have to try to force people to accept them...disgusting.
I just dont understand all this havoc the gay community is stirring up. Why are they trying to strong arm their way into people lives. Why is marriage being devalued? Marriage already had a bad name now its slowly going in the gutter. People lining up to get married like its some sporting event or black friday. What is the point of that sort of thing?

Old 07-24-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I read the first comment to that article and the woman who wrote it said that this place had stopped holding that kind of meeting about 6 months ago and obviously this whole thing is an agenda driven thing from the ACLU and whoever else is trying to push these people.

Also the writer said that the owners have 8 children and it appears to me that they will have to get out of that business since the gay-ACLU people are after them. It seems that these people will be in all kinds of trouble and if they have to move on 8 little children will be in for some tough times. Ain't that something. These two women will never have any children but the gay movement can drive these people out of their method of making a living.
Wow...evil creates evil. Why do people think they are so important to the rest of us.

Old 07-24-2011, 05:57 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
I just dont understand all this havoc the gay community is stirring up. Why are they trying to strong arm their way into people lives.
Strong arm? No, in the case with the Vermont bed and breakfast, they're just following the law. Perhaps you don't believe that people should follow the law.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post

It's not the same. Race is not comparable to who someone has sex with.

I doubt they'd hire a state democratic party official to represent them though.
Hate that arguement, who you choose to have sex with is nothing similar to any race. No one chooses their race. Parents do that. You choose to have sex with who you want, if people judge your for it...well....

Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Strong arm? No, in the case with the Vermont bed and breakfast, they're just following the law. Perhaps you don't believe that people should follow the law.
Yes be gay and be happy, stop trying to make people respect you and act like they understand the gay lifestyle when they do not. I just dont understand all this in your face fighting the homosexual community does to people who don't want to be around or affiliated with them. They want people to respect their choice, but they dont respect others choices. The INN owner said no, take your money and spend it with someone who says yes. Stop forcing people.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:23 PM

The Gay community seems to be becoming the "bad guys" They equate being gay with being Black, Latino or Asian. Where is the peace in all this?? Where is the love? Trying to force people to tolerate you because of your sexual choices is not fair to the people who dont tolerate. Its like this country needs another civil war again.

Old 07-24-2011, 06:44 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,636,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Strong arm tactics most definitely or else why the lawsuit and resulting negative publicity instead of simply taking their business elsewhere? These women were clearly not welcome at this establishment and rather than forcing the Inn to accommodate homosexuals the Inn has discontinued hosting weddings and special events for everyone. Is this the goal the homosexuals hoped to achieve or did they really think and expect that they would receive service under less than ideal circumstances to their full and complete satisfaction at an establishment where they are clearly not wanted? One can only imagine how these wonderful individuals would react if God forbid a waiter or other service person looked at them in a manner they determined “funny” or if other guests at the Inn were visibly upset or revolted.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:11 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JobZombie View Post
Strong arm tactics most definitely or else why the lawsuit and resulting negative publicity instead of simply taking their business elsewhere?
The law is the law. If your house was robbed, would you report it to the police, or would you just install a better alarm system? If a physician permanently injured you, would you sue or would you just take your business elsewhere?

Quote:
These women were clearly not welcome at this establishment and rather than forcing the Inn to accommodate homosexuals the Inn has discontinued hosting weddings and special events for everyone. Is this the goal the homosexuals hoped to achieve or did they really think and expect that they would receive service under less than ideal circumstances to their full and complete satisfaction at an establishment where they are clearly not wanted?
Again, the law is the law. I guess you don't understand how it works. And if the people of Vermont want to discriminate against people based on sexual orientation, they are welcome to change their law. I don't know of any movement to do that.

Quote:
They want people to respect their choice, but they dont respect others choices. The INN owner said no, take your money and spend it with someone who says yes. Stop forcing people.
The law is the law. If you don't like it, you're welcome to try to change it, but don't tell others that they shouldn't adhere to it simply because it makes you uncomfortable.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:34 PM

11,761 posts, read 14,661,252 times
Quote:
Hate that arguement, who you choose to have sex with is nothing similar to any race. No one chooses their race. Parents do that. You choose to have sex with who you want, if people judge your for it...well....
I know you hate that argument, even though it happens to be true.

I can choose to have sex with any woman in the world who's willing to have sex with me.

I cannot possibly choose to want to have sex with another man.

I suspect the same is true of you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies