Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 02:01 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,863,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
When the inn applied for a business license to make that private property available for rental to the public, they gave the public the right to use their private property. They agreed to do so within the parameters of Vermont's laws.
No. It is a privilege by Vermont law. It is not a right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvanian1 View Post
If sexual activities were somehow part of the celebration, ie., strippers at a bachelor party, the reasoning would be sound, but, to become selective in what willful sins a Christian business chooses to allow, is clear hypocrisy.
That's exactly the problem with this line of thinking. It's not your position to judge how reasonable their religious beliefs are. Is that what you want? Lawyers deciding which of your religious practices are "reasonable" while you run your business?

Old 07-25-2011, 02:05 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
No. It is a privilege by Vermont law. It is not a right.
An assertion not backed up by anything is called an opinion.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:31 PM

204 posts, read 201,193 times
Quote:
That's exactly the problem with this line of thinking. It's not your position to judge how reasonable their religious beliefs are. Is that what you want? Lawyers deciding which of your religious practices are "reasonable" while you run your business?
I believe you may be missing my point. First let me preface by saying, I am a Christian. I simply take issue with biblical cherry picking. The Inn owners admittedly welcomed, respectfully, same-sex couples, and anyone else desiring lodging in the past. This would suggest that these individuals have no problem with possible pre-marital heterosexual sex, or possible homosexual sex, but draw a line in the sand when it comes to celebrating something honoring a contract between two lesbians, who held no ceremony on their property.

I am simply looking for a little consistency from the Inn owners who claim to be Catholic/Christian. If religion is the basis for their actions, (and by their own words, it is), what of all the room rentals to same-sex couples, and unmarried couples, which kept the Inn in business over previous years, to which the Inn owners were willing to turn a blind eye. These owners would be better off leaving religion out of the equasion altogether as it exposes obvious hypocrisy, and gives ammunition to liberal activists, who can once again make the Church appear as though it believes homosexuality to be the ultimate in evil practices.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
I believe you may be missing my point. First let me preface by saying, I am a Christian. I simply take issue with biblical cherry picking. The Inn owners admittedly welcomed, respectfully, same-sex couples, and anyone else desiring lodging in the past. This would suggest that these individuals have no problem with possible pre-marital heterosexual sex, or possible homosexual sex, but draw a line in the sand when it comes to celebrating something honoring a contract between two lesbians, who held no ceremony on their property.

I am simply looking for a little consistency from the Inn owners who claim to be Catholic/Christian. If religion is the basis for their actions, (and by their own words, it is), what of all the room rentals to same-sex couples, and unmarried couples, which kept the Inn in business over previous years, to which the Inn owners were willing to turn a blind eye. These owners would be better off leaving religion out of the equasion altogether as it exposes obvious hypocrisy, and gives ammunition to liberal activists, who can once again make the Church appear as though it believes homosexuality to be the ultimate in evil practices.
I understand your point 100%. The inn owners may very well be hypocrites - but they should have that freedom. Besides, who is to decide what constitutes hypocrisy regarding someone else's religious beliefs? It should be completely and totally irrelevant; a religion is a religion, and beliefs are beliefs, whether rational or not.

If you make it legitimate courts to even consider the "merits" of these people's beliefs when making a decision I believe that is dangerously close to infringing on freedom of religion - a right which is not contingent on acceptance by others or even rationality.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:51 PM

37,138 posts, read 42,234,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, if you don't believe in following the law, you can make up whatever slanderous remarks you want, I guess. They're meaningless. All that matters is what the law is.
I'm not making up or slandering anything. I'm sure the people who run the Inn weren't expecting this kind of thing to happend to them. They aren't criminals, they just got caught in something beyond them so someone else could make a point.

I recently read another thread about laws, federal laws, obscure laws, that people sometimes get caught up in just by minding their own business and not bothering anyone because other folks look for those opportunities to make a statement about something.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:56 PM

Quote:
An assertion not backed up by anything is called an opinion.
Well then we'll have to agree to disagree on the meaning of the word "right"

Old 07-25-2011, 03:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Quote:
Well then we'll have to agree to disagree on the meaning of the word "right"
Both ways. Right versus wrong. AND right versus privilege.

Because you seem to think that hypocrisy is fine and dandy.

I might also point out that when the inn's owners applied for their license to run a business, that that was a privilege dependent on their obeying the laws of Vermont. They didn't obey those laws, so, following your logic, their privilege to operate that business should be taken away. Right?

Old 07-25-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Both ways. Right versus wrong. AND right versus privilege.
Right vs wrong? I believe it is wrong to deny people based on sexual orientation. I however also believe it is wrong to force people to provide services they don't want to provide.

Quote:
Because you seem to think that hypocrisy is fine and dandy.
The freedom to be a hypocrite on your own private property is quite fine by me.

Quote:
I might also point out that when the inn's owners applied for their license to run a business, that that was a privilege dependent on their obeying the laws of Vermont. They didn't obey those laws, so, following your logic, their privilege to operate that business should be taken away. Right?
From a legal perspective? Yeah. I conceded that many pages back.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:23 PM

545 posts, read 400,574 times
Quote:
I believe you may be missing my point. First let me preface by saying, I am a Christian. I simply take issue with biblical cherry picking. The Inn owners admittedly welcomed, respectfully, same-sex couples, and anyone else desiring lodging in the past. This would suggest that these individuals have no problem with possible pre-marital heterosexual sex, or possible homosexual sex,
unless they are closely monitoring the rooms then how the hell would they know someone is having sex in one?..should they ask everyone if they going to get it on on their property and if so, demand a marriage license?...and who the hell would want to get it on with a religious catholic family with 8 kids on the same property?....and how are they cherry picking the bible by allowing anyone to use their rooms?...I am sure "hospitality" or something is mentioned in the bible...

Quote:
but draw a line in the sand when it comes to celebrating something honoring a contract between two lesbians, who held no ceremony on their property.
of course they draw the line, it was their property and their beliefs....the inn owners can't stop the couple from honoring their marriage, but the inn owners can stop themselves from doing taking part in it... you see people may or may not be having sex in their rooms, (I know I wouldn't, it would feel like doing it in a church or something)...they have no real way of knowing someone is getting busy in their rooms.....but they did know that a gay couple is "honoring" their "marriage" on their property...so they drew the line..

besides, so they didn't want to take part in the "celebration" and "honoring" of these lesbians....so what?....is that a problem?...this couple ran into people who didn't want to "celebrate" their "love" somehow means they "hate" them or something?..

Quote:
I am simply looking for a little consistency from the Inn owners who claim to be Catholic/Christian. If religion is the basis for their actions, (and by their own words, it is), what of all the room rentals to same-sex couples, and unmarried couples, which kept the Inn in business over previous years, to which the Inn owners were willing to turn a blind eye.
So even though it is well known that they never discriminated before, this one time they say no to a request and of all a sudden they are being "inconsistent"?...despite years of consistency?...they said no, deal with it...that is what most people would do...

Quote:
These owners would be better off leaving religion out of the equasion altogether as it exposes obvious hypocrisy, and gives ammunition to liberal activists, who can once again make the Church appear as though it believes homosexuality to be the ultimate in evil practices.
the owners of the inn own the property, they can do as they please....hell, they even live on the property....they are better off doing whatever the hell they please....there is no "obvious hypocrisy"...they can't stop gays from getting it on or marrying or whatever, but they can stop themselves from having any part of it....they knew beyond a doubt that their recpetion hall, their proptery would be used for something against their beliefs...they don't know what is going on in their rooms once the doors close.....it may be "obvious" if you perceive everyone who isn't paying attention and "celebrating" you all the time as "discrimination" or something..

even though they have never turned down a gay couple before, this one time somehow turns into "religious oppression of homosexuals" is baffling..despite years of compliance and "tolerance" this Inn has given to gay couples, this one time where it would have been too much for the Inn owners to handle turns into the "Church appear as though it believes homosexuality to be the ultimate in evil practices"....for what?...cause these people can't get your way all the freaking time? get over yourselves...the world doesn't have to bend to their every demand...this need to have perpetual acceptance and "in your face" is bizarre...

Last edited by EricGold; 07-25-2011 at 03:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies