Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does this Ad help the Same Sex Marriage Cause?
Yes, its a great Ad and would sway me in the direction of support for Same Sex Marriage. 26 29.89%
No. It's offensive and pushes me away from support for same sex marriage. 61 70.11%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 12:59 AM

23,655 posts, read 17,562,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VerticalReasoning View Post
What does insults have to do with anything? No one cares if Christians are insulted any more than white supremists were insulted by interracial marriage.
So you think Christians = white supremists. OOOKKKAAAAYYYYY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2011, 01:04 AM

Quote:
The cause isn't set back by your opinion. If you want homosexuals not to marry put forth some reasons ( other than biblical). Other than that the train has already left. You can be on the wrong side of history or the right side, it's your choice.
I guess you haven't read very much of this thread and all the reasons that was posted. A lot of them are not biblical.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:04 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,579,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Feeling you are not the sex you were born with is transgender/transsexual and today people can have a sex change operation. A bi-sexual is attracted to both sexes and can have both attractions no matter what sex they are. At least, that is how I understand it. It can get complicated.

Most people do not believe in reincarnation. Most believe in one life for each person, at least in our country. We could get into a lot of thoughts on marriage if we include other religious views. India for instance and the way they believe animals were once people in another life. Then we could get marriages of all kinds.
actually most of the world believes in reincarnation and many people who have had near death experiences come back with a belief in reincarnation because it's one of the truths that they've discovered while they were in the spirit world

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM

1,615 posts, read 2,579,817 times
Quote:
Why can't a civil contract handle all of this? A lot of people make up relationships they want. I heard of a couple who adopted a girl who was already grown because they never had children and the girl never had parents and was in foster care. They formed a close bond as parents and child. I'm not sure how they are handling it with insurance, etc but I am sure they have all those benefits.

You can make up any will you want to have, no one is stopping you.
a marriage is not the same as a 'will' and our partnerships are JUST as valid as YOURS. how about you stop thinking you deserve special rights that come from the government (which is unconstitutional) because you happen to be born straight and not gay.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 AM

148 posts, read 85,834 times
Quote:
I guess you haven't read very much of this thread and all the reasons that was posted. A lot of them are not biblical.
That is fine because there are absolutely zero secular reasons to deny homosexuals the right to marry that don't involve some kind of fallacy or some kind of guised appeal to religiosity.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rlarson21 View Post
actually most of the world believes in reincarnation and many people who have had near death experiences come back with a belief in reincarnation because it's one of the truths that they've discovered while they were in the spirit world
I haven't read about those experiences only about the ones who come back certain there is a life beyond this. They call it heaven.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:08 AM

148 posts, read 85,834 times
Quote:
Not they. A poster made that statement.
You're free to show me where I said that those who don't want to let homosexuals marry are the same as white supremacy instead of like white supremists in the historical context of being on the wrong side of history.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:09 AM

Quote:
That is fine because there are absolutely zero secular reasons to deny homosexuals the right to marry that don't involve some kind of fallacy.
I see your mind is made up. LOL

Old 07-21-2011, 01:10 AM

Quote:
You're free to show me where I said that those who don't want to let homosexuals marry are the same as white supremacy instead of like white supremists in the historical context of being on the wrong side of history.
Well it all depends on what the word is is. You must be a lawyer.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:13 AM

14,916 posts, read 13,132,457 times
Quote:
Well societies set up relationships to be that way for a reason. Mostly for the protection of children and inheritance concerns for them. Society can't be everything to all people. A lot of people find out when a spouse dies how unprotected they really are, not just gays.
Yes, but our society was set up to value freedom and liberty and the equal treatment of people under our secular law.

And these invidiously discriminatory laws harm and hurt gay people in real ways.

I'll tell my friend Ben's story. Ben is my best friend from college. He's one of the smartest people I've ever known. Ben is gay. After college, Ben received a Fulbright Scholarship to study retrovirus assembly, and he did so at Charles University in Prague. While there, he met and fell in love with a man. If Ben were straight and Lukas were a women, they'd be married and living happily here in the US (probably in Ben's hometown of Seattle). However, since they're gay, they were forced to make a decision: not be together, or live a very stressful itinerant lifestyle. They chose the latter.

Ben and Lukas, for the last 4 years, have been going back on forth between Prague and Seattle however they can: temporary tourist visas, an occasional work visa if Ben can wing a job in a lab in Prague, etc, etc, etc. Usually only one can work at a time (the person in his native country), and that creates a lot of problems - financial and social (since one is basically sitting around in a foreign country with little to do for 6 months while the other is off working to support them both).

If Ben simply had the right to contract a civil marriage, he wouldn't have to put up with this BS. He wouldn't be broke from not having a career because he has to fly between two continents every 6 months simply to be with the man he loves. If he could simply get married (well, DOMA would have to be repealed to because even married gay couples are denied spousal immigration visas), he's probably be finishing up an MD-Phd program.

I find this deplorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies