Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 05:30 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,726,125 times

Advertisements

well i kinda think they are some what bad for kids... because thats all the kids want to do nowdays. my brother has 2 kids boy girl the boy wants to play video games all the time rather go boating or camping or just hiking something physical... makes me wonder. when i was a kid i was extremally active skateboarding biking swimming hiking sailing diviing fishing etc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 05:35 PM

6,022 posts, read 7,826,282 times
no! everyone knows right from wrong

Old 04-15-2009, 05:44 PM

500 posts, read 702,787 times
In moderation, it can be good.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:04 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,300,646 times
If they're allotted some time to play them, then yea. Not playing them non-stop, because that's just as bad as doing anything non-stop.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:41 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
The video games in and of themselves aren't bad. The problem is that there's a whole generation of kids who can't do anything that doesn't involve some kind of computerized device. When a computer becomes the central focus of your life, that's bad. City414 insists that everyone knows right from wrong. Maybe more people--surely it was never actually everyone--did at one time. These days, I'm not so sure.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:42 AM

41 posts, read 106,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
well i kinda think they are some what bad for kids... because thats all the kids want to do nowdays. my brother has 2 kids boy girl the boy wants to play video games all the time rather go boating or camping or just hiking something physical... makes me wonder. when i was a kid i was extremally active skateboarding biking swimming hiking sailing diviing fishing etc

Exactly, but don't blame the kids.
Parent's need to control video games.
I refuse to buy my kids a video game console. They can go outside and play the way I did when I grew up. If a kid is playing video games more than 30 minutes a day, then thats a problem.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:49 AM

432 posts, read 604,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike8290 View Post
Exactly, but don't blame the kids.
Parent's need to control video games.
I refuse to buy my kids a video game console. They can go outside and play the way I did when I grew up. If a kid is playing video games more than 30 minutes a day, then thats a problem.

30 minutes is not enough to play a video game... at least for a good game

I don't understand though, why some people think it's ok for kids to go to school for 7 hours a day when about 5 of the hours could be cut out completely if they actually had efficient teachers and course work.

Much of the day is wasted on busy work and that of teachers who love the sound of their own voice while kids daydream and wish they were doing something productive.

So how can you be against video games, yet be for inefficient/waste of time schools?

Truth is- kids (10-18) should be going to school for about 3 hours a day (with one break of recess/gym) , working for about 4 to 6 hours, and have free time for the rest of the day..

Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManGoneADreamin View Post
30 minutes is not enough to play a video game... at least for a good game

I don't understand though, why some people think it's ok for kids to go to school for 7 hours a day when about 5 of the hours could be cut out completely if they actually had efficient teachers and course work.

Much of the day is wasted on busy work and that of teachers who love the sound of their own voice while kids daydream and wish they were doing something productive.

So how can you be against video games, yet be for inefficient/waste of time schools?

Truth is- kids (10-18) should be going to school for about 3 hours a day (with one break of recess/gym) , working for about 4 to 6 hours, and have free time for the rest of the day..
You must be a serious gamer.
Go to school. Get a teachers degree and change the educational system.
Do all our kids a favor and have them in school for 3 hours a day so they can waste their lives playing video games the rest of the time instead of learning something usefull in a competitive world.
Maybe you can even figure out when to let them go out and breathe fresh air for 5 or 10 minutes a day or learn body coordination from doing some physical activity.

Old 10-29-2009, 04:37 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,377,473 times
Would you rather they sit at home after dark and watch TV all evening? What about on rainy days? What about winter?

Don't get me wrong, there are outside activities that can be done during these times. However, many parents don't want their children outside during incliment weather, or at night anymore.

So I think a child playing a video game during these times is actually a good thing. Its been studied that watching TV turns off the brain. You learn far less from watching anything on television, then you do by participating in something else. Therefore, I would argue that an interactive video game, of almost anytype, would at least keep the brain functioning at a higher level.

I agree children need to spend more time outdoors, however, this is up to the parent as well. I take away my sons television, and video games until 30 minutes before dusk. He can either play with toys in his room, or he can play in the back yard. He ususally chooses the back yard, and plays with the dog.

On the weekends we are usually on the run somewhere.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:22 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
[quote=cruxan;8361208]well i kinda think they are some what bad for kids... because thats all the kids want to do nowdays. my brother has 2 kids boy girl the boy wants to play video games all the time rather go boating or camping or just hiking something physical... makes me wonder. when i was a kid i was extremally active skateboarding biking swimming hiking sailing diviing fishing etc[/quote

Ban them, or trade time on the video for equal reading time. Only allow use at certain hours of the day (early evening). Tie use to not only reading, but performing certain chores or achieving grades. Video games are mind rotters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies