Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,221,111 times

Advertisements

Lobbyists
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2011, 09:15 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,420,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The Federal Government can save billions just by decriminalizing all drugs.

Why don't they do it?

I have a feeling they don't really care about saving money. They just want to cut the other party's programs so they can spend it on what they think is more important.
So........all these drug addicts who can legally purchase drugs, where will they get the money? Do you think they have jobs and discretionary income for the purchase of drugs?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:17 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,414,055 times
"Self-medicating" is a way to reduce health care expenses. It takes those expensive doctors, nurses and pharmacists out of the equation.

Seriously, you can buy a lethal dose of one drug in any of 100 flavors, probably within a mile or two of where you live. But we spend a kajillion dollars on Prohibition of all other drugs. I'm a small government guy, and agree with the sentiment in the original post. The war on drugs has many casualties, few of them intended.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:18 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,858,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Because they believe that drug abuse is are immoral, unless your name is Rush LImbaugh. They would rather cut 9 million from NPR.
Not true at all, I want to end the war on drugs AND cut all public funds from NPR because they're both a waste of public funds. I'm also for completely cutting funding for the war in Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:20 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
And that $45 billion will make how big a dent in the $2.4 trillion Obama wants? How about blowing up the Department of Education? That would save $90 billion right now.
As a teacher I can say I'm all for that.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:21 PM

455 posts, read 633,482 times
45 Billion sounds awfully low to me, truth is the govt is powerless to change anything significantly

without ALL private money removed from the election process, don't hold your breath !

Old 07-27-2011, 09:22 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,958,168 times
Quote:
Can Ron Paul veto everything Congress does? If not he won't be the hero that so many of you seem to think he could be.
Yes he can; let Congress put together enough votes to over-ride his vetoes if they can. Likely many would love his use of the veto pen as in the right hands it will be a mighty sword.

For someone who pretends to love the Constitution you sure do strongly dislike the only elected Representative who has proven he is willing to uphold it with every vote.

I'm no proponent of drug use but I believe if they haven't "won" the war against drugs that it never will be won. Thousands of law enforcement lives lost and hundreds of billion$ of dollars later (if not Trillion$) what do we have to show for it, BATFE illegally traffiking firearms across the border and arming Mexican drug cartels?

Let the states handle the laws and get the federal government out of it (per the US Constitution). A person of God won't turn to drugs just because they are legalized. Weakness of the flesh exists despite any laws man can make, does it not?

‪Ron Paul on marijuana, prohibition, and personal freedom‬‏ - YouTube

9,855 posts, read 10,420,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
"Self-medicating" is a way to reduce health care expenses. It takes those expensive doctors, nurses and pharmacists out of the equation.

Seriously, you can buy a lethal dose of one drug in any of 100 flavors, probably within a mile or two of where you live. But we spend a kajillion dollars on Prohibition of all other drugs. I'm a small government guy, and agree with the sentiment in the original post. The war on drugs has many casualties, few of them intended.
You can also motivate people to commit crimes to get money to purchase these drugs that are now legalized.

11,531 posts, read 10,298,352 times
Quote:
And that $45 billion will make how big a dent in the $2.4 trillion Obama wants? .
Quote:
Enough cuts of $9 million at a time can add up to a pile of money and NPR is surely one of those that needed to be cut.

Old 07-27-2011, 09:23 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,172,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
The Federal Government can save billions just by decriminalizing all drugs.

Why don't they do it?

I have a feeling they don't really care about saving money. They just want to cut the other party's programs so they can spend it on what they think is more important.

Addition:

What I would like to see is the use of ALL drugs decriminalized BUT make the sale of drugs a civil offense that requires the forfeiture of the drugs (which will be destroyed) and the proceeds from the sale but no jail time for the seller. The drug money seized can then be used to pay for the treatment of drugs users.

I think this is the right way to approach the problem. Help users get treatment instead of just throwing them in jail. Take the risk premium out of the drug market and the drug gangs/cartels won't be able to make any money.

I'll be honest with you I've never heard any tea partier ever address this issue either pro or con. So, how can you criticize them without actually knowing their position?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies