Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 09:44 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times

Advertisements

Country is done for financially. Wow, we will cut 90 billion out of spending........ out of a 1.5 TRILLION shortfall. Hahaha, with revenue enhancements we may trim 200 billion a year off of 1.5 TRILLION..............wow, country is a JOKE run by insane people.

20-22 TRILLION by the end of 2016..............Heck Yeah!!!!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 09:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,033 times
How is this the fault of anybody but our Bastard President? He just went on an unprescedented 2 1/2 year spending binge in the middle of a recession. Who does that? And why??? With no plan to pay for anything??? The buck stops with him and him alone.

Last edited by zz4guy; 07-28-2011 at 09:54 PM..

Old 07-28-2011, 09:58 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,412,481 times
People keep electing career politicians who serve special interests and then they have the nerve to call the Tea Party fringe lunatics. John McCain is so out of touch that he didn't know the Hobbits won. He must have been listening the valley girl Meghan McCain.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:18 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,300,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
The GOP is trying to double-cross it's base (like usual), and the Frankenstein Tea Party won't let them!

GOP Establishment to Tea Party: "Ah c'mon, guys- you really didn't think we were serious with all that "Stop spending!" crapola, did you? That was just so we could sneak back into power. Haven't you ever heard of election rhetoric? "

I find all this amusing- the GOP trying to put the Tea Party monster back in its cage!
By not uniting behnd Boehner the Tea Party has cut their own throat. Now Boehener literally has no choice but to seek a deal with Democrats and moderate Republicans in the house.

They have also shown themselves to be unable to govern and irresponsible. The essence of politics is compromise.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:54 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,264,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
By not uniting behnd Boehner the Tea Party has cut their own throat. Now Boehener literally has no choice but to seek a deal with Democrats and moderate Republicans in the house.

They have also shown themselves to be unable to govern and irresponsible. The essence of politics is compromise.
Why do I keep seeing that word, compromise, from you lefties? I have to wonder if you even now what it means. How do you compromise with someone who has no plan of his own but refuses to even let your bill get to the floor of his house for debate?

I wish more people knew how laws are made but I guess that Schoolhouse Rock video just didn't get seen by enough people.

Old 07-28-2011, 11:26 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Why do I keep seeing that word, compromise, from you lefties? I have to wonder if you even now what it means. How do you compromise with someone who has no plan of his own but refuses to even let your bill get to the floor of his house for debate?

I wish more people knew how laws are made but I guess that Schoolhouse Rock video just didn't get seen by enough people.
I'm a lefty and I don't want comprimise. I don't want the Reid Plan I want Obama to use the 14th Amendment like HARRY TRUMAN DID.
The is no middle ground, why pretend there is

Old 07-28-2011, 11:30 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RottenChester View Post
Both parties need to agree that taxes should be raised on corporations and the ultra wealthy, or at the very least have tax loopholes closed so they pay their fair share. Then, we need to slash the defense budget and get out of Iraq and Afghanistan once and for all. Eliminate earmarks and wasteful spending, such as that outlined by Senator Coburn in "Back to Black." Don't touch Social Security and Medicare, as the poor, sick, and elderly should not have to suffer, especially those that have paid into it their entire working lives.
I personally support the tax proposals put forth by the deficit commission. Lower the corporate and income tax rates, tax capital divends at income rates, and close most loopholes. It'd be a good step in increasing government revenues and equalizing the tax code.

I agree that the defense budget needs to be slashed and there needs to be deep spending cuts. But SS and Medicare also have to be reformed.

As for the current debt ceiling debate, there just needs to be some sort of deal that will raise the current limit. I'm sympathetic towards the Tea Party, but we can't be playing Russian roulette with the debt ceiling (forgot who used that reference).

Old 07-29-2011, 12:58 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
The GOP will vote for the raising of the debt ceiling but the numbers being debated seem to be more than what it would do to pay the debts you talk about. Obama has already had three raises so surely we are getting to the point where we are paying for his debtsl
Thats because the President wants it extended out for essentially two years. The number debated cover two years of debt and interest.

The continuing budget resolution is over in what, a few months. Thats when a balanced budget should be debated.

I see it this way. Whoever wins this fight, will win the budget fight in a few months. Whether we have revenue increases or not, will be hammered out by who wins the debt ceiling argument. If we "default" or the President has to use the 14th, and the American people blame congress, then Republicans are in for a bad year and a losing budget battle. If the people blame the President and that happens, then Dems are in for a bad year. I don't think we'll default, and I think the ceiling will be raised cleanly through 2013. If that happens, then it'll be two months before we know who the general population agreed with.

That will decide the budget battle. The budget battle is where the balanced approach should be debated.

Old 07-29-2011, 01:08 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,563,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meson View Post
Isn't it fun watching the repug party implode!!!
I think it's hilarious! The "Tea Party" members of Congress are a bunch of political "neo phtyes"! The infighting doesn't bode well for the GOP if they can't even get a bill out of the House!

PS : Memphis? agreed! They are trying to tie the budget, spending and everything else including a "balanced budget Amendment" to raising the debt ceiling and like the the President said "turning it into a 3 ring Circus"! It's all political by the GOP to make Obama look bad!

Conservatives & Republicans! This is your party and look at how they are acting! You want these fools running the nation?

Old 07-29-2011, 01:10 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,386,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
I think it's hilarious! The "Tea Party" members of Congress are a bunch of political "neo phtyes"! The infighting doesn't bode well for the GOP if they can't even get a bill out of the House!
Thing is, the "TEA" party candidates don't have to vote for it. There are enough fairly safe Republicans, combined with Democrats to pass a clean bill through the house.

The only thing TEA party representatives have to do is follow the Reagan doctrine. Though shall not criticize a fellow Republican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies