Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 09:48 AM

29,981 posts, read 43,008,413 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Yay, finally someone said it.

Republicans and Democrats ALREADY created this budget knowing we would need to raise the debt ceiling, so why are they not willing to now. That isn't being responsible. First pay your bill and then fix your future habits.
That's like and addict promising to quit using after the next high, and the next high, no really, just one more fix and he'll stop...

You have to do BOTH at the same time. You must cut the drug and change behavior to address the addiction head on.

Ron Paul and those fiscal Conservatives shaking and shouting at Congress trying to wake up this country are the only ones speaking the truth. Why is it so difficult to hear? Are most in this nation so dependent that they cling to their kidnappers for their next meal instead of embracing the responsibility that accompanies freedom?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

17,823 posts, read 23,497,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Despite what many may think, I have always approached politics and economics with an open mind and I am prepared to admit the Tea Party is nuts when it comes to this vote.

This is not because all of the emotional, progressive talking points about default, economic terrorism, blah blah blah , but rather because the Tea Party voted for this budget that created deficit spending and is now refusing to raise the limit so the budget they voted on can be implimented.

What the Republicans should have done is the following.

• Maintained a stern, but compromising outlook but eventually raising the debt limit up to the amount of the deficit they voted on.
  • Let the economic policies of the President and Democrats in the Senate continue to fail and watch the Democrats self destruct so that they can get the Presidency and the Senate.
  • Stay as far away from Obama as possible and let the ratings plummet so that no blame can be thrown to the Pubs.
  • Upon successful 2012 election, the Tea Party keeps the Republicans in line and leads the charge for the balanced budget amendment which has huge popular support.
You are mistaken. Those who were elected in 2010 have not yet enacted a budget, and they had absolutely nothing to do with the fiasco last year when a Democrat controlled Congress failed to enact a budget for this fiscal year. Thus far 6 of the 12 appropriation bills have been passed by the House. The House has until September 30th to enact a budget for fiscal year 2012.

Source: Status of Appropriations Legislation for Fiscal Year 2012 - THOMAS (Library of Congress)

The debt ceiling should not be raised. Raising the debt ceiling is essentially telling the nation, and the world, that it is perfectly acceptable to spend well beyond our means like immature children unable to control our infantile urges.

6,233 posts, read 9,495,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Despite what many may think, I have always approached politics and economics with an open mind and I am prepared to admit the Tea Party is nuts when it comes to this vote.

This is not because all of the emotional, progressive talking points about default, economic terrorism, blah blah blah , but rather because the Tea Party voted for this budget that created deficit spending and is now refusing to raise the limit so the budget they voted on can be implimented.

What the Republicans should have done is the following.

• Maintained a stern, but compromising outlook but eventually raising the debt limit up to the amount of the deficit they voted on.
  • Let the economic policies of the President and Democrats in the Senate continue to fail and watch the Democrats self destruct so that they can get the Presidency and the Senate.
  • Stay as far away from Obama as possible and let the ratings plummet so that no blame can be thrown to the Pubs.
  • Upon successful 2012 election, the Tea Party keeps the Republicans in line and leads the charge for the balanced budget amendment which has huge popular support.
You realize that this post will get you excommunicated from the tea partiers on this board, right? They don't take kindly to people who disagree. In any case, I have no problem with an honest debate over our debt and spending. We need an honest discussion about it. But the tea party has taken things way, way too far by holding the full faith and credit hostage to an idea, IMO. And they chose the wrong time to pick a fight. Why couldn't they have brought this up when we were making the national budget? The economic risk would have been lower and we'd have more time and a better chance to deal with our debt. They simply shot themselves in the foot while holding a gun to the country's head.

263 posts, read 627,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Any elected representative that is willing to risk the full faith and credit of the nation, which will result in economic hardship, in order to make an ideological stance is an irresponsible extremist and has no business holding public office.
I like that! However these lunatics where voted in by people that bought that oversimplified message of how things should be done, a lot of voters have a 6 grade intelligence level, I have employees that have not saved a dime in 20+ Years at a decent paying job, live week to week looking for social programs, most of the like the Tea party.... nuts out there!

The Tea party was around in the late 19th Century, they fought against indoor plumbing, did not like the stink in the house.....anti progress and ignorant.

31,387 posts, read 37,123,838 times
I'm feeling charitable this morning, perhaps its the drugs I am taking for my back, they are nuts, simply the most constitutionally, and politically ignorant individuals to have a seat at the table of government.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:53 AM

29,981 posts, read 43,008,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
You realize that this post will get you excommunicated from the tea partiers on this board, right? They don't take kindly to people who disagree. In any case, I have no problem with an honest debate over our debt and spending. We need an honest discussion about it. But the tea party has taken things way, way too far by holding the full faith and credit hostage to an idea, IMO. And they chose the wrong time to pick a fight. Why couldn't they have brought this up when we were making the national budget? The economic risk would have been lower and we'd have more time and a better chance to deal with our debt. They simply shot themselves in the foot while holding a gun to the country's head.
Wrong analogy. Those holding the gun to the head of this country are the Progressives addicted to other people's money and willing to bring down this country rather than face the prospect of losing the entitlement nation they've built over the last century. The fiscal Conservatives are the hostages refusing to cooperate. They would rather fight and suffer casualties than to have never tried to save this country.

We are more than $200 Billion over the debt ceiling now thanks to Progressive spending policies and the sky has not yet fallen. Obama is in the aisles screaming fire at the Kabuki theater and hoping for a stampede.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 AM

4,003 posts, read 10,856,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You won't get the ammendment. It's just an idiot idea. You can't tie the hands of government to be able to act in emergency situations.

I can just see it now. "WEll , my fellow Americans, we have been attacked but we can't do anything about it because we don't have the funds this year. Maybe 5 years from now we will be able to do something.

Well, we here in Washington know that the big one has hit and LA lays in ruins, the people are dying like flies but we can't do anything because we have spent all our money for this year.

It's just plain and simple an idiot idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You can make provisions for those situations in the bill. We can also have an emergency savings fund built into the budget to cover those situations.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:02 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,036,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You won't get the ammendment. It's just an idiot idea. You can't tie the hands of government to be able to act in emergency situations.

I can just see it now. "WEll , my fellow Americans, we have been attacked but we can't do anything about it because we don't have the funds this year. Maybe 5 years from now we will be able to do something.

Well, we here in Washington know that the big one has hit and LA lays in ruins, the people are dying like flies but we can't do anything because we have spent all our money for this year.

It's just plain and simple an idiot idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Maybe you should read into a balanced budget amendment which requires a super majority
in case of "being attacked".

Certainly no member of Congress would deny monies to
support our armies if we are "attacked". Hell, even
Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich would support that

In the mean time... maybe not entering into unjust
wars of choice without congressional declaration
of war, would be in order, thus saving money
for a real "just cause" in using our military
Along with that declaration of war, we would enact
a temporary war tax to support those armies That
way, preventing our congressional representatives
from dragging out war, you know... for 10 years or
more

Old 07-30-2011, 10:05 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,495,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Wrong analogy. Those holding the gun to the head of this country are the Progressives addicted to other people's money and willing to bring down this country rather than face the prospect of losing the entitlement nation they've built over the last century. The fiscal Conservatives are the hostages refusing to cooperate. They would rather fight and suffer casualties than to have never tried to save this country.

We are more than $200 Billion over the debt ceiling now thanks to Progressive spending policies and the sky has not yet fallen. Obama is in the aisles screaming fire at the Kabuki theater and hoping for a stampede.

We're not going to change each others' minds, so I'll just agree to disagree here and nothing more. I've said what I've said, and I'm absolutely convinced that these tea partiers are nuts, and nutty people in power are very dangerous indeed.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:11 AM

90,296 posts, read 120,998,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If we do not get a balanced budget amendment our country will be bankrupt and that is NUTS IMO.
As was pointed out on NPR this morning, that could take ten years b/c a super-majority of states have to ratify it.

Quote:
Ok, the Tea Party might be nuts..

You got that right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies