Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You've read this entire thread and you still don't know why the term is racist? I presume you've completed a Google search on the term........and you still don't understand?
No, I don't see how it is racist, and no, i did not read the entire thread.

I guess I'm just not a big enough bigot to know the secret underworld of racist analogies.

I read the story as a child, so I know what analogy the man was referring to. I did one quick search for the Uncle Remus story on the tar baby, just to get the quote. I do not know any racial message here, cuz I don't wallow in bigotry or racism, so sue me already.

Maybe you live in a world where you are exposed to racism, and have used racist terms and analogies like this, and expect everyone else to know them, but don't expect me to live in that same world too.

Last edited by Wapasha; 08-02-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Fly paper. Grease bucket. Honey pot. Falling in a tar pit. etc., etc.

Grease bucket is a racist term aimed at denigrating poor Mexicans. I'm suprised that you would choose to use such a term. RacistRacistRacist.

Besides, it doesn't make sense in the context it was used in. We were talking about "sticky" situations, grease is slippery.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,619,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
Rep. Lamborn: Working With Obama Is like 'Touching a Tar Baby' - Political Punch

I'm sure he has no idea how that term is interpreted in 2011 despite McCain and Romney both being screwed by using the term in recent years.

True feeling always seem to slip out in soundbites.
Honestly..this sillyness is getting old. When rappers stop using the "N" word in their "music" maybe I'll care more if a congressman uses a phrase like that.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:09 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
No, I don't see how it is racist, and no, i did not read the entire thread.

I guess I'm just not a big enough bigot to know the secret underworld of racist analogies.

I read the story as a child, so I know what analogy the man was referring to. I did one quick search for the Uncle Remus story on the tar baby, just to get the quote. I do not know any racial message here, cuz I don't wallow in bigotry or racism, so sue me already.

Maybe you live in a world where you are exposed to racism, and have either used racist terms and analogies like this, and expect everyone else to know them, but don't expect me to live in that same world too.
You don't have to wallow in bigotry or racism to know racist terms. Your ignorance of the racist connotations of a word does not preclude them from existing.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:10 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwm1964 View Post
And none of those carry the same connotation as tar baby.

If anything the term is an acknowledgement of African Culture,

"the term's provenance arose in African folklore (e.g., the gum doll Anansi created to trap Mmoatia, the dwarf)"

Black culture has just been so abused in this country that we praise misogynist rhyming as brilliant yet contributions originating from African culture is termed racist.

The idea that contribrutions from true African culture is racist is the true racism.
The term 'tar baby' evolved from African folklore, true, but it was picked up and used by advertising media and political cartoonists back in the late 1800s/early 1900s and was used in a derogatory way to the black community. Thus for a long time it was used (and still is in many circles) as a racist slur. Word meanings change over time. So spin all you want but the term 'tar baby' NOW is not an acknowledgement of African Culture and I doubt that 90% of people in America even knew about the folklore of Anansi the gum doll trapping the dwarf and the fact that the Uncle Remus tar baby story was based on it. So how could it be "an acknowledgement of African Culture" as you claim if no one really knows about the legend?

Old 08-02-2011, 09:13 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,894,256 times
Zippity-doo-dah, zippity yay, my oh my what a wonderful day. I guess Song of the South is deemed politically incorrect these days. But that tar-baby, he don't say nothin' he just sits there.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,317,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Grease bucket is a racist term aimed at denigrating poor Mexicans. I'm suprised that you would choose to use such a term. RacistRacistRacist.

Besides, it doesn't make sense in the context it was used in. We were talking about "sticky" situations, grease is slippery.
Seriously? I didn't know that and the urban dictionary doesn't list it as such. Must not be a term used universally, yet, in the manner you say.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:14 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,580 times
Quote:
The term 'tar baby' evolved from African folklore, true, but it was picked up and used by advertising media and political cartoonists back in the late 1800s/early 1900s and was used in a derogatory way to the black community. Thus for a long time it was used (and still is in many circles) as a racist slur. Word meanings change over time. So spin all you want but the term 'tar baby' NOW is not an acknowledgement of African Culture and I doubt that 90% of people in America even knew about the folklore of Anansi the gum doll trapping the dwarf and the fact that the Uncle Remus tar baby story was based on it. So how could it be "an acknowledgement of African Culture" as you claim if no one really knows about the legend?
this.

granted i only saw the word used once in my life, it was by a white nationalist on stormfront, which is why i know its a derogatory term.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,211,040 times
Quote:
Seriously? I didn't know that and the urban dictionary doesn't list it as such. Must not be a term used universally, yet, in the manner you say.
This site says it's grease ball/bag. The Racial Slur Database

That pp is just making ish up to support his argument.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:20 AM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
You don't have to wallow in bigotry or racism to know racist terms. Your ignorance of the racist connotations of a word does not preclude them from existing.
The point is that people like you are assuming everyone must know the same racial slurs as you, which is not realistic. But here we are, with people crucifying this man for exactly that.

How many people like me read the OP and were not aware how this was racist? How many people had to Google or read thru this thread to find out how this phrase is racist, before they were sufficiently outraged enough to condemn this man?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies