Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:37 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times

Advertisements

What happened to all the lefties like this guy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Futures are way up! We will see a 100-300 point rise in the Dow tomorrow if everything stays on track. I wish I didn't sell my options on Friday !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:38 PM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
How soon we forget. Headlines last week- 'If we don't increase the debt, the Dow will tumble'.
Yes, I heard many times that the market may not respond well.

I'm glad Bush was unsuccesful with privatizing SS. LOL, we would have lost that in 08', but......here soon maybe it will be a good time to buy cheap?

Old 08-04-2011, 06:51 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,861,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post

Spending when you can't pay your bills is not a solution. Do you ask the bank to raise your credit limit when you can't pay your bill just so that you can spend some more? That's a simplified analogy to raising the debt ceiling when you can't make the payment.
cutting budgets and trying to get the government towards the Libertarian (Ron Paul) size and spend little isn't the solution either.

if you want expansion in the economy someone has to infuse capital... the people aren't doing it, the businesses aren't doing it. The rich with all their trillions they made aren't doing it. so who does that leave?

Either the gov. spends in a way that stimulates the economy or the outlook is bleak. While people criticize his move, the stimulus for the auto industry gave then the jump start they needed at the cost of the cruise missiles we launched at Libya.... Im thinking our auto industry was a far more worthy cause.

The saber rattling of the Repugs shook confidence in our market.... right or wrong this was the effect. and guess what... markets fall when they have uncertainty.

We have everyone wanting government to cut back and yet it is the only source investing in our economy in scale. Some will say,, but they should be the investors... ok but Im not seeing business step up to the plate. seems they aren't stepping on plate but planes as they drain the country of jobs. as their bank accounts explode at the seams.

My best solution for our issues is:

#1 - eliminate the federal reserve - the savings in interest would be enough to lower our deficit by substantial amounts

#2 - invest in alternate energies and get us weaned off of foreign oil. - drilling does nothing to save us, we are past peak Oil. The economy is being drained of $70 B / month heading to the middle east. We have the most brilliant engineers in the world, lets challenge them and get their products in place here at home then export them.

#3 - reduce military spending, including closing unneeded bases. Do not just bring the soldiers home release them from service.

#4 - kill off Medicare part D - the totally unfunded act.

#5 consolidate all the healthcare plans toward the national healthcare, stop with the redundancy. Make sure the politicians are the first on the new plan so you know they will make it right.

#6 either eliminate SS or the pension plan of the Congress. there will be one for all the people

Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Actually, there is a lot to be said for that.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
It is amazing. There is a direct correlation between electing Republicans and destroying the economy.
Actually the economy's been in the tank since the 2008 election when Democrats took over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistygrl092 View Post
Actually, there is a lot to be said for that.
Yeah, shows the amount of stupid hate the left has

Old 08-04-2011, 06:57 PM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually the economy's been in the tank since the 2007 election when Nancy Pelosi's Democrats took over congress.
Fixed it for ya!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:00 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
The 500+ point drop was courtesy of me to Obama.... it was his birthday present! Happy Birthday Obama! 2011 stock gains..... GONE!

Old 08-04-2011, 07:03 PM

5,546 posts, read 10,001,241 times
Everyone had better get used to this. Baby gains and then big plunges. It's only a matter of time.

Old 08-04-2011, 07:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
The 500+ point drop was courtesy of me to Obama.... it was his birthday present! Happy Birthday Obama! 2011 stock gains..... GONE!
Hey, I had something to do with it as well. It was all a big plot by you and I to cause a world wide economic collapse, just to embarass the President.

Wow, we are soo powerful, woo hoo..

Old 08-04-2011, 07:09 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,535,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Great buy opportunity. If I had any money...
Yes, stocks went on sale today. Its a great buying opportunity! I definitely take advantage of these blips.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies