Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 02:10 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,065,499 times

Advertisements

Frankly, the day is irrevocably etched into my mind and heart, and I would rather not relive the trauma all over again. As I rapidly approach my 60th year, I just feel that I've experienced more than my share of American tragedies non of which require a weeks worth of 24/7 media on steroids reminders.

Just as an example, I was in DC for a couple of meetings and made the "mistake" of driving along the National Mall, past the MLK memorial, the Vietnam Memorial before making a wrong turn and finding myself in front of the Arlington Cemetery where I foolishly decided to go up to the Tomb of the Unknown, which of course required me to pass the the rows of military dead and the JFK gravesite. PTSD just won't allow me to handle much more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 02:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,004,055 times
10 year anniversaries of anything are usually a big deal...marriages, high school reunions, deaths in the family.

Whats the problem with honoring one day for the victims on 9/11 especially considering how far we've come as a nation since then?

Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM

2,472 posts, read 3,199,324 times
I think it's commercialized is why. The same reason why people are annoyed around the holidays. It doesn't seem sincere, not to mention that it is true that people need to move on, it's a part of life. There's a reason why a whole nation doesn't mourn every single casualty of every tragedy we've ever had.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:25 PM

13,138 posts, read 22,824,585 times
It's a important historical landmark and was a terrible event, but lets face it; it was not anywhere near the most terrible, brutal and world altering event in history.

If anything, (truther claims or not) it's hard to come to any other conclusion other than the fact that 9-11 was blown up to solar gas giant porportions on purpose by the Man as a means to force a otherwise unpopular and immoral dark agenda on us (and even the world).

Old 09-08-2011, 02:26 PM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, the day is irrevocably etched into my mind and heart, and I would rather not relive the trauma all over again. As I rapidly approach my 60th year, I just feel that I've experienced more than my share of American tragedies non of which require a weeks worth of 24/7 media on steroids reminders.

Just as an example, I was in DC for a couple of meetings and made the "mistake" of driving along the National Mall, past the MLK memorial, the Vietnam Memorial before making a wrong turn and finding myself in front of the Arlington Cemetery where I foolishly decided to go up to the Tomb of the Unknown, which of course required me to pass the the rows of military dead and the JFK gravesite. PTSD just won't allow me to handle much more.
...ya want a little cheese with that whine?....

Old 09-08-2011, 02:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,017,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
I think it's commercialized is why. The same reason why people are annoyed around the holidays. It doesn't seem sincere, not to mention that it is true that people need to move on, it's a part of life. There's a reason why a whole nation doesn't mourn every single casualty of every tragedy we've ever had.
Yeah can't just have a simple national moment of silence or something along those lines. Gotta have these grand show's so all these pol's can show up and get their photo op and show how much they care. That's all it really is. Probably be raising money with some high dollar a plate dinners later that night.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:31 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,022,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

I'm done. Getting like Pearl Harbor. Do it too much -
it becomes almost meaningless.

I only go to DC for the Library of Congress - simple
and a real joy

Old 09-08-2011, 02:32 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,460,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganusn View Post
Commercialized how? On T-shirts and commemorative coins?

I haven't seen any of that.

I disagree that "it's a part of life". Death yes. But terrorists flying jets into the World Trade Center, the Pentagon and a Shanksville field - Not "a part of life". It was an extraordinary event which knocked this country off its balance, and marked the beginning of this nation's economic decline.

Are they making sure that we don't forget what happened 10 years ago? Yes. There are plenty of programs on PBS and Discovery, History channel etc.

If you don't want to watch it then change the channel to some reality show drivvel.

Quite frankly I don't think there is enough being broadcast on television, or in newspapers about the 10th Anniversary of September 11th.

It was without a doubt the darkest day in Modern American history of the last 10 years. It deserves to be remembered as long as this country is a nation.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:33 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,763,518 times
Quote:
Yeah can't just have a simple national moment of silence or something along those lines.
I will do the moment of silence at 8:46am. We as a nation should have that above anything else.

Old 09-08-2011, 02:35 PM

760 posts, read 685,898 times
9/11 - 2,996

Iraq - 4474
Afghanistan - 1613

The only thing I'd like to see this 10th anniversary of 9/11 is our troops back home protecting Americans. Hell with the media coverage and moments of silence. BRING OUR TROOPS HOME!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies