Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I think you don't understand the financial impact.
Perhaps you could tell me what the financial impact to the taxpayer is, in dollars and cents, and % of GDP.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:26 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,417,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Perhaps you could tell me what the financial impact to the taxpayer is, in dollars and cents, and % of GDP.
Obviously I cannot, but if the patient is covered by a government health plan the taxpayers will foot the bill. That is not acceptable to me in this current climate of US financial instability.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 PM

63 posts, read 57,924 times
Don't forget all of the regulatory departments that will have to be created for this, and the numerous federal personnel that will be required to staff the offices. More federal cars, SUV's for very rural areas. etc. etc. I could probably think of many more. The big problem being generational welfare families will NOT take them. If they quit having kids they don't get that monthly check.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:52 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,810,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
Obviously I cannot, but if the patient is covered by a government health plan the taxpayers will foot the bill. That is not acceptable to me in this current climate of US financial instability.
The feds are footing the bill now for Medicaid. I can't think of any other govt. program that would pay for BCP. Possibly SCHIP for older girls and for acne treatment, cramps, etc.

In Colorado, the copays for prescription drugs are $1 for generics and $3 for brand name drugs. Obviously, eliminating these for BCP is not going to result in a huge cost to the fed/state. For SCHIP in Colorado, the co-pays are $2-$5. Again, eliminating these co-pays for BCP will hardly bankrupt our state, and may help prevent some unwanted pregnancies, which would be a good thing, IMO.

HCPF:Pharmacy

Child Health Plan Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustGinger View Post
Don't forget all of the regulatory departments that will have to be created for this, and the numerous federal personnel that will be required to staff the offices. More federal cars, SUV's for very rural areas. etc. etc. I could probably think of many more. The big problem being generational welfare families will NOT take them. If they quit having kids they don't get that monthly check.
WTH??? This is a bunch of BS. The mechanisms for these programs are already in place.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:20 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
It is one or the other. Sorry for the inconvenience.
It shouldn't be one or the other, though. People should have to deal with their own issues, period. It should not be a choice of $5 now or $500 later.

Btw, this thread is not about poor people, it's about people with insurance and the fact that Obamacare mandates health insurance companies pay for BC in full.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:25 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It shouldn't be one or the other, though. People should have to deal with their own issues, period.
So we should do away with insurance since the whole idea of insurance is other people paying for other people's issues.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:35 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
Personally I think insurance is at the root of most of the issues in health care today. I would love to see them removed from the picture... my complaint with Obamacare is that they play a role in it.

Let me give you an example of what insurance brings to us.

I go to the Chiropractor I have had 2 primarily I had no insurance one charged me $20 and the other charges me $40

If I go the way of insurance the $20 one charged the insurance co $75 and I think the new one exceeds $120. So basically Insurance causes a 3x escalation in the costs. Do youwonder why health care costs have gone up so much in the last 30 years?

If I know what service I need I should be able to opt for that only instead of being charged for a nurse to take a temp I know is fine, or for them to check my BP which I also know is fine. Insurance companies cause us to get more service and pay for it than is needed.

Insurance is not our friend The health care laws came about to a great extent to counteract the actions of insurance companies.
The issue is that most people don't understand how insurance even works. A provider must bill an amount that exceeds what the insurance will pay out so they can get the full allowed amount. The insurance pays whatever the contracted amount is. That contract may differ between insurance companies, it depends what has been agreed upon when the contract was set up. I don't think they charge individually for taking a temp and BP, etc., that probably goes under some kind of initial workup or whatever, it depends on what is being done and where you're at, I imagine. Getting those things done at a routine checkup is billed as part of that checkup, not as each individual service. Take a look at the statements your insurance company sends when it pays something, it's quite enlightening.

That being said, I agree that the whole thing needs to be reformed. Healthcare costs are very high and there is a variety of reasons for that.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:40 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The feds are footing the bill now for Medicaid. I can't think of any other govt. program that would pay for BCP. Possibly SCHIP for older girls and for acne treatment, cramps, etc.

In Colorado, the copays for prescription drugs are $1 for generics and $3 for brand name drugs. Obviously, eliminating these for BCP is not going to result in a huge cost to the fed/state. For SCHIP in Colorado, the co-pays are $2-$5. Again, eliminating these co-pays for BCP will hardly bankrupt our state, and may help prevent some unwanted pregnancies, which would be a good thing, IMO.

HCPF:Pharmacy

Child Health Plan Plus

WTH??? This is a bunch of BS. The mechanisms for these programs are already in place.
Did you just say that the 53 or 54 new bureaucracies that will be need to run Obamacare have already been installed and we are still 2 years away from it going into effect. Mercy me think of the money being wasted paying those bureaucrats and they aren't even working yet. How wasteful is out Obama administration? How many guaranteed votes does he have from those people who don't have to work but do get paid. I think that as I learn more and more about that law I like it less and less.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:43 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,285,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So we should do away with insurance since the whole idea of insurance is other people paying for other people's issues.
Not at all but we should not have the government mandating that businesses pay for people who they want to insure, up to a point. Your question that ws written like so many of mine with a period at the end is at least as asinine as any I have seen today and I have seen many, even my own.

Old 08-06-2011, 09:57 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,312,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not at all but we should not have the government mandating that businesses pay for people who they want to insure, up to a point. Your question that ws written like so many of mine with a period at the end is at least as asinine as any I have seen today and I have seen many, even my own.
I didn't ask a question, I made a statement, hence the period.

I still don't understand how people can rail against paying for other people's health care in one breath, and write a check to an insurance company in the next.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies