Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:12 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,483,407 times

Advertisements

Honest to God, I'm not trolling. This is a real question.

I hear a lot of conservatives say that the government should only provide for defense and little else. So here's my question: If you had the power, would you eliminate Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid or other entitlements, since, in your view, they aren't part of the Constitution's enumerated powers, and therefore unconstitutional? Or do you dislike entitlements because the federal govt. runs them and not states? I look forward to any responses.

mackinac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 05:18 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
Eliminate, no. Restructure to help only those who truly need the help and not those who leech off the system even though they are physically and mentally able to work. My father-in-law is 85 and receives aid through SS, Medicare, and the VA. My wife is disabled due to multiple spinal problems causing her constant shooting pain and is on Medicare and SS. She uses my health insurance as the primary. She would rather stop getting aid and be pain free but we've yet found a doctor who could end her pain without the use of strong pain medicine which incapacitated her.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:19 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,538,276 times
I also have a relative receiving aid for their severely autistic daughter who is almost an adult now. He works and his wife cares for the daughter but it takes it's toll on the whole family.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Eliminate, no. Restructure to help only those who truly need the help and not those who leech off the system even though they are physically and mentally able to work. My father-in-law is 85 and receives aid through SS, Medicare, and the VA. My wife is disabled due to multiple spinal problems causing her constant shooting pain and is on Medicare and SS. She uses my health insurance as the primary. She would rather stop getting aid and be pain free but we've yet found a doctor who could end her pain without the use of strong pain medicine which incapacitated her.
Wow, that's terrible. Sorry to hear that.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:57 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,758,413 times
No, you haven't heard Republicans espouse that viewpoint. That is a libertarian view.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
No, you haven't heard Republicans espouse that viewpoint. That is a libertarian view.
Okay then. Change "Republican" to "conservative or libertarian"

Old 08-06-2011, 06:00 AM

31,292 posts, read 20,749,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
Honest to God, I'm not trolling. This is a real question.

I hear a lot of conservatives say that the government should only provide for defense and little else. So here's my question: If you had the power, would you eliminate Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid or other entitlements, since, in your view, they aren't part of the Constitution's enumerated powers, and therefore unconstitutional? Or do you dislike entitlements because the federal govt. runs them and not states? I look forward to any responses.

mackinac

Yes. Over and extended period of time.

Entitlements have ruined America, stolen the responsible spirit of millions and made us dependent on government and other people's money.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,815,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It's one of the core stances on the right to defund medicare, medicaid, social security, etc. while keeping the handouts and heavy spending for the rich and large corporations. Libertarians feel everything should be cut and no one should be getting handouts.

Old 08-06-2011, 06:25 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,695,462 times
Yes. Private sector charities, churches, and other organizations can help the needy much more efficiently than the government.

Old 08-06-2011, 10:27 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,211,393 times
For a start, there are countless federal agencies and bureaucracies, not to mention enormous waste, that could be eliminated or severely trimmed back--and all this before even taking a harder look at "entitlements".

Does anyone remember the Grace Commission from the Reagan years? It was an investigation requested by President Reagan, in 1982. The focus of it was waste and inefficiency in the US Federal government. It's findings were presented to Congress, which ignored them and continued with business as usual.

It appears that Congress has finally gotten the message that the country is fed up with its waste and inefficiency and wants some real reform in how they handle OUR money. We need a sensible austerity program that doesn't use the threat of holding up salaries to soldiers and Social Security payments to seniors as clubs to scare the public with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies