Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 02:26 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Solutions constantly presented by the so called intellectual Marxists:

Tax the rich, tax the rich, tax the rich, steal the wealth, redistribute the wealth, tax, tax, tax, tax some more, chase our jobs away, keep the borders wide open, give illegals everything they want for free, don't prosecute illegals that break laws, spend, spend, spend some more, cause racial and class divisions, tax, tax, tax, spend, spend, spend, don't pass a budget, tax, tax, spend some more, give wallstreet money, shaft the tax payers, shaft the bond holders, give foreign banks more money, print money, print money, print money, cause the UE rate to go higher, pander to Islam, let terrorist out of jail, call everyday Americans terrorists, ignore the real terrorists, don't dare say Islamic extremism, bash Christianity and last but not least, have nice things to say about Che and Mao then hang a Mao Christmas ornament on the WH tree. Did I forget anything? I'm sure I did.
what i find so bizarre, is that we're more or less in agreement that we're against the same problems -- and I consider myself a conservative, and so do you -- and yet we have totally different ideas about how these problems were caused, as well as how to fix them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 02:27 PM

800 posts, read 781,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
I agree, but I don't think you see the entire picture of what the administrations plans actually are. It has been laid out for everyone to see. What do you think he meant when he said this would be the most transparent administration ever?
A lie obviously haha

I knew he was full of crap the moment he started talking and rags on the wealthy an absurd amount. I personally beleive in a flat tax, decrease in defense spending by reducing active duty troops and putting some of the savings to develop technology(A more advanced army is better than a large army), reducing foreign involvements abroad, and putting a tarriff on Chinese goods and/or buying American will do more to solve the budget than unfairly taxing rich people. Legalizing marijuana would also be a great source of revenue.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:30 PM

605 posts, read 705,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
If you read these guys, then good for you. However, I have rarely (if ever) seen any of these people cited by conservatives on C-D. Instead we get Glenn Beck, Fox News and other pathetic excuses for intelligent conversation here. I could respect the conservative movement if there was a strong intellectual element to it. As it is, I see nothing to admire, nothing to respect because American conservatism today is an anti-intellectual movement dominated by shrill extremists who habitually deny reality. They are fed their own talking points by dumbed down media personalities and parrot them to no end.

I can respect a thinking conservative...if I can ever find one.
Spot on! They have always been there, but what scares me more than anything else is that they have become "mainstream" and the extent they are influencing the general populous.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:33 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
These people have been suckered in and believe all these doomsday "They're coming to get me! Aaahhh!!" fear tactic propaganda from the Fox news/Beck/Limbaughs on the far right.
Anyone who doesn't think America hasn't declined so precipitiously, to a point of crisis and impending collapse, must listen exclusively to the liberal media instead of researching and understanding what has changed about our economy, our Labor Market, and our political system over the past 30 years.

When I was growing up in the 1960s and early 1970s, nobody had clue how bad things would be for our generation. We thought we'd do better than our parents; instead they retired with pensions at age 62 and we'll be lucky to get ANYTHING from Social Security, even retiring at 67. A college degree used to guarantee financial security and good employment, now it gives you a 50% chance of unemployment versus the joy of working 80-hours a week for wages that stagnated in the 1970s.

I would love to think the nation isn't collapsing, since my spouse and I worked our whole lives and don't want to see ourselves losing everything we've worked ridiculously hard for. But I can't see anything good about our gutted economy, and now permanent structural unemployment. The Middle Class has been destroyed. The dollars we've saved, and the wages we are paid, are being devalued to nothing. Interest remains zero on savings. Our housing assets are worth half of what we've already paid into them, and local government taxes us more than you could net working full-time in almost any job, every single year. Plus the federal government taxes 15.3% of our incomes for the Social Security and Medicare they've already told us they can't afford to give us, plus the equivalent of a luxury SUV sent to Washington every year for world war-mongering, Big Business bailouts and stimulus.

Instead of just name-calling and school-yard insults, I love to hear someone explain WHY they think our economy can recover with no economic engine; why unemployment will go down despite the foreign outsourcing that caused it; why dollar devaluation (thanks to the Fed and Government overspending) isn't a "stealth tax" that reduces our savings, investments and wages; why the national debt and continued overspending won't result in further loss of credit status and loss of the dollar as reserve currency; and why small businesses will suddenly recover after the Big Business/Big Government regulation and taxation that destroyed them in the first place.

And BTW, "It always gets better" isn't an answer to a national decline--and certainly has never been true over the 50 years of my life.

Last edited by NHartphotog; 08-11-2011 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 02:36 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,637,967 times
George will is a panelist on the Sunday morning talk shows fairly frequently (usually ABC's "This Week"), and had an hourlong interview on the Charlie Rose show only a couple days ago.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:39 PM

800 posts, read 781,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Well I guess you missed these folks. Charles Krauthammer, George Will, Bill Kristol, Thomas Sowell etc. Your premise, is silly in the extreme. Your belief that there are no conservative intellectuals may be, because their are no John Kenneth Galbraiths on the other side.

Now on to serious matters, the current standard bearer of left intellectuallism, comes up very short.

I agree! But they don't tend to have the same sort of influence as Buckley had in his day. Rather people like Hannity, Falwell et al have way too much influence because unfortunately they have drowned out the voices of those you listed above. Unfortunately people like them and myself seem to be growing smaller and smaller and religous blowhards only gaining more and more power.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:41 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,940,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
Where has Republican intellectualism gone?

I miss people like William F. Buckley.

Our party has been hijacked by overzealous fundamentalist idiots
Mark Levin

Old 08-11-2011, 02:42 PM

3,410 posts, read 4,468,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
I'm not disagreeing with that, but Chrisitan fundamentalism is exerting way too much influence over the party.

The Reagan era was good balance this is out of control.
There was no balance during the Reagan era, Reagan was a liberal(tax increases, out of control spending, amnesty for illegal immigrants). The GOP is still in need of purging.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mackinac81 View Post
If you read these guys, then good for you. However, I have rarely (if ever) seen any of these people cited by conservatives on C-D. Instead we get Glenn Beck, Fox News and other pathetic excuses for intelligent conversation here. I could respect the conservative movement if there was a strong intellectual element to it. As it is, I see nothing to admire, nothing to respect because American conservatism today is an anti-intellectual movement dominated by shrill extremists who habitually deny reality. They are fed their own talking points by dumbed down media personalities and parrot them to no end.

I can respect a thinking conservative...if I can ever find one.
Interesting: thinking conservatives don't exist because even though I gave you examples of people who are nationally-known intellectual conservatives (indicating that a large number of people follow them), you have "rarely" seen any of these people cited on C-D. I've cited them both, a lot, and have seen others also cite them.

Frankly, I find the fiscal conservative and Libertarian movements very intellectual--much more so than the Liberal movement that thinks Big Government is "here to help" and is the solution to Big Business corruption--rather than its enforcement arm. Libertarians know far more about the founding of our nation, Federalism versus State's Rights, and the history of political and economic changes than any Liberals I know.

After all the give-aways to Big Business under Obama, from bailouts to stimulus to freedom from taxes, I don't know how any thinking person can still think Government wants to protect "the little guy." All government wants to do is tax the little guy into bankruptcy, to support spending so insane that not even a 100% tax rate would be enough.

True, the Religious lunatic fringe is extremely anti-intellectual, and they have succeeded in getting far too much leverage in the Republican and Tea Party movements. This is very sad, because it takes the focus off of fiscal reform and responsibility, and puts it into social oppression. I would prohibit ANY religious interference in government, as the Founding Fathers tried to do.

Old 08-11-2011, 02:47 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TylerJAX View Post
There was no balance during the Reagan era, Reagan was a liberal(tax increases, out of control spending, amnesty for illegal immigrants). The GOP is still in need of purging.
Reagan was NOT a liberal. He was at least centre right, maybe not hard right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies