Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 10:36 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,066,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by satanoid View Post
I'm a militantly liberal libertarian and atheist, and have a rather large (30 or so) collection of firearms. Whenever I rub elbows with other gun nuts, they're invariably staunch right wingers, or rabidly anti government conspiracy types (who are still fairly conservative on most issues.)
So my question is - any other liberals out there with a penchant for firearms?

Every male (and many female) member of my family is also both very pro-gun and very liberal. Even still, I never meet many other folks who share my ideology.

So speak up, my gun-toting, liberal brothers and sisters!
I've found the gun question to be more of an East vs West and urban vs rural divide than Republican vs Democrat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 10:59 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
I've found the gun question to be more of an East vs West and urban vs rural divide than Republican vs Democrat.
Hmmm, Rural vs Urban , sure, east vs west? Nahh, not so much. The east has plenty of gun owners , states such as WV being a good example, out west, we have CA. One of the most rabidly anti firearms states in the union. Rural folks, born and bred , look at firearms as a daily tool, I sure do. Can't live without at least a good rifle in the truck at all times. Urbanites, not really an option or need, at least not for the same purposes. A city dweller is not so likely to bump heads with dangerous animals (four legged kind), two legged varmints are a risk for all of us and more so in the city, though it's certainly not an unheard of risk out here in the weeds either.

Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,241,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
No group needs to be "between them and us." Nobody will ever be able to take guns away from America's citizens. It simply cannot be done. This NRA scare tactic is just that--another scare tactic; we should be used to that propaganda by now.

Try to imagine the tens of millions of Americans who will be out in the streets upon a moment's notice if such a thing were to become imminent. But it will never get to that point--such efforts will die a quick death long before anyone ever has to seriously worry about it.

Neocons keep on getting elected because of this load of c--p about Democrats wanting to take everbody's guns away. I'm sick of hearing such a bogus claim.
Next you'll be telling me you don't believe in OGDC (Obama Granny Death Camps)!!!! They're comin' I'm tellin ya. Glen Beck said so! It must be true.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:02 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Who found this old thread??

Either way, count me in!

Old 01-05-2010, 11:08 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,728,906 times
My boyfriend is a firearms collecter and hunter and he is no conservative! He has been into guns and military equipment all his life.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:11 AM

2,352 posts, read 2,279,434 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was always distrustful of the NRA. When they backed Tom Delay, I decided never to give them money every again.
I'm liberal. But I do not own a firearm but I come from a family loaded with gun owners. (no pun intended). I have no problem with guns per se. I just wish some common sense would apply to ownership, ESPECIALLY for hand guns.

A few questions.

1. Are assault rifles really necessary for private ownership?
2. And why can't safety testing be mandatory? (we do it for cars)

Old 01-05-2010, 11:16 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
The NRA's okay. It's the National Machine Gun Association and the National Saturday Night Special Association that give me pause.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:19 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,628,399 times
Count me in as a liberal female gun owner/operator!

I was involved in the shooting sports group in 4H for 8 years and taught plenty of young kids to shoot safely and properly.

Old 01-05-2010, 11:45 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
I'm a militantly liberal libertarian and atheist, and have a rather large (30 or so) collection of firearms. Whenever I rub elbows with other gun nuts, they're invariably staunch right wingers, or rabidly anti government conspiracy types (who are still fairly conservative on most issues.)
So my question is - any other liberals out there with a penchant for firearms?

Every male (and many female) member of my family is also both very pro-gun and very liberal. Even still, I never meet many other folks who share my ideology.

So speak up, my gun-toting, liberal brothers and sisters!
I am, and always have been, a gun owner, served in the Army in combat, 11B, not a total liberal on all issues, guns would be one of them, but the farsides here consider me one. There are more out here than you may realize. Oh, many gun owners, when in a group will act the redneck conservative, get them alone and many times the tune changes to something much more moderate, it is the pack mindset.
Casper

Old 01-05-2010, 11:56 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
I am politically and economically left wing (some would say way left wing) and I am a liberal gun owner from the east. I vehemently support civilian ownership of what ever firearms forks want to keep. I think the confiscatory Fire Arms Act of 1934 should be repealed because it effectively discriminates against armed civilians without effecting criminals. I am in the NRA and support their efforts to build local ranges and provide training. I am opposed to all the rest of their RW crap.

Yeah, there are a lot of political leftists and economic redistributors out here that own fire arms. I am one of them.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon, all bow to the M-2.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies