Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
all they are doing is beating there chest and saying im better then the person on welfare or food stamps.

people always have to try and be better them somebody else.
Don't know about your reasoning, but I do believe a lot of the folks in the system have a better life than a hard working tax paying working person, and it shouldn't be that way.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:30 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
LOL and some of you want the government to provide us health care. They can't even feed people

Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
I lol at that video. Sorry.

I did too when the lady said people were banging on the glass walls. I'm picturing in my head a bunch of fat people banging on the glass asking the clerks with an angry or cookie monster voice saying '' Where are my stamps? Feed me now!''. lol But the humanitarian in me feel sympathy for the children and even for the single parents.

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 08-14-2011 at 12:47 PM..

Old 08-14-2011, 12:38 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,860,623 times
Yea, that should really break the bank

Old 08-14-2011, 12:54 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
How do you suggest that we, as a civilized people, deal with starving children??
i have already said that we need food centers where people can pick up ACTUAL FOOD if they need it. we can also match up surpus food with need. if you grow tomatoes and have extra, take them to the food center. if you cooked too much food and have extra, take it to the food center. see how that works for everyone's benefit?

if they can make it to a grocery store, they can make it to a distribution center.

if they don't want it, they will weed themselves out of the system-and i am sure that the system abusers will do just that. at least you take the incentive to sell food stamps off the table (and let's face it, if they are selling the stamps their children aren't getting food anyhow).

Old 08-14-2011, 12:55 PM

7,787 posts, read 8,030,764 times
no one in America should have to go hours without eating. that womans kids hadn't eaten since breakfast and I'm sure it was past lunch

Old 08-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
no one in America should have to go hours without eating. that womans kids hadn't eaten since breakfast and I'm sure it was past lunch
Ah of course.
Something is entirely wrong with this one example. How on earth did she get last months stamps, buy the month supply of food and somehow run out of EVERYTHING until ironically the day the stamps were supposed to come in again?

Even though I go food shopping (with my own money, like an idiot lol) there's always SOME food left next week. But that's also because I take responsibility and buy sales and buy in bulk so I don't go hungry.

We allow people buy pringles and soda with food stamps. THIS is the problem. If she received $300 last month in stamps and $100 of that went towards NON FOOD items, then they deserve to starve.

I mean, we are already HELPING people.. what MORE can we do?!

We could create a new government program that hires a chef for each welfare family!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:07 PM

1,081 posts, read 916,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
These people need to learn to think beyond one meal. That mentality is for animals.

Old 08-14-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyBaaBaa View Post
These people need to learn to think beyond one meal. That mentality is for animals.
Exactly!! Whenever I see a shopping cart FILLED with banquet TV dinners I know it's a welfare customer! (Coming from someone who worked as a cashier at a super market for over a year).

It's HIGHLY unlikely that they buy products that can stretch like rice, beans, and pasta! I RARELY saw that when the 'stamp card came out!

Old 08-14-2011, 01:10 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,331,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Communities also create jobs. I know that the history of slavery had destroyed a significant part of the African American culture to create the underclass that exists today. But that's the thing, it is cultural, it is a problem with the mindset that CAN BE CHANGED. The SYSTEM which oppressed them, has ALREADY CHANGED, yet the mindset of the underclass has not changed.
It didn't change all that long ago, though, which is the point. And meanwhile, the economic opportunities that were lifting many of them out of the underclass have since been shipped overseas to Asia.

Quote:
Upwardly mobile Blacks today are proof that the system has changed. They are the ones who "get it", and have succeeded because the system has changed. Yet, the ghetto underclass continues to be mired with the same social problems and mindsets that existed in the hole of hopelessness that they lived in before.
Escaping your own environment isn't always that easy. I'm not trying to make excuses for some of the people in the video. I agree that they probably could be doing more to help themselves, and I think that many are doing that.

You're also right about the second part: the hopelessness. I think that's the mentality that begins to descend upon these people. They're socially disconnected from the kinds of positive role models and influences that are likely to make a difference in one's life. Take a look at how many people get jobs these days. It's through networking. What networks do these people have? I'm not trying to oversimplify the problem, but I think you see the point here. Heck a lot of inner city blacks like the ones in the video probably don't even have traditional networks that would benefit them and allow for socioeconomic mobility. What about newer networks like Facebook and Linkedin? How many have the skills to market themselves in cyberspace? How many even have internet access on a regular basis? What if they've never really learned to read and write?

What if someone grows up in a family that doesn't value education, goes to school with a classroom of others who don't value education. What if they were never taught to value education. Thanks to segregation and the fact that many blacks could never be considered for executive positions, could they be blamed for not valuing education? If they grow up in a community of nothing but Dollar Tree shops and liquor marts, could they be blamed for not understanding the value of hard work and being a self-started? Sure, a lot of people 'get it' and move out, and they're the models that others should follow. But it takes family support and a strong sense of self, which many simply have been robbed of. It's all around them. I'm not making excuses here. I'm all for changing some aspects of the system, but I'm not for crass generalizations and throwing out the baby with the bathwater.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Why is it that certain communities always "need support"? I swear to god, that you can put a community of a million Germans or Japanese in the middle of a desert and in two generations, they'd find a way to create a prosperous and orderly society, and even create jobs so that immigrants from other lands want to move to that desert to work! It's all in the culture and the mindset!
I agree that culture has a lot to do with it. African societies are actually some of the most family-oriented and socialized cultures on the planet, so the generalizations here that are made about African Americans point to the fact that something has gone horribly wrong with their experience here in the land of the free, home of the brave, at least in this one regard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies