Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 10:05 AM

4,164 posts, read 6,318,958 times

Advertisements

Most people put a little money in the collection box when they go to church each Sunday...Churches depend on money from their flock to pay expenses and "stay in business!"... Some of this money is used to sponsor events and outreach programs in the community and to help the poor and needy...In a way we are asked to "tithe" to our country when we pay taxes. Some of our taxes go to our city and county and state governments to pay for services and re-pave roads and fund new projects etc...Our federal taxes go into a "community pot" for a wide variety of expenses too...Churches view themselves as a "body of people." And city and state and federal governments operate on this same principle. ..Questions arise concerning how the money will be spent. Or how much we should be required to pay in taxes. Churches don't demand a "fixed amount" when it comes to donations....What would happen if everyone stopped tithing to their local church? What would happen if no one paid any taxes whatsoever?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2011, 10:18 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,206,697 times
There is a HUGE difference between the two....

In church I voluntarily give money, if I don't there is no repercussion for me personally.

With the IRS if I don't give them what they demand of me I have my personal possessions taken, my paycheck garnished and my family harassed......

The scenario in the OP is ludicrous......

If everyone stops giving to the church? It goes the way of the Dodo bird....

If everyone stops paying the IRS?

Would never happen, too many sheeple here in America.........

Old 08-14-2011, 10:37 AM

We are viewed as a "body of people" by our local and state governments. And the federal government views us the same way...It's a "group sharing" mentality. Churches view their flock and congregation as a "body of people" too...Families operate this way too. Money is dispensed as needed to individual members and for "family matters" as a "whole."

Old 08-14-2011, 10:47 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
According to CBO 42% of us don't pay a dime in taxes. We see what happens when they pick and choose winners (GM,GE) as they call for increasing the already heavy tax burden on the so-called rich.

A tithe is supposed to be a payment for the teaching you receive. It is in addition to donations and good deeds. It is done with nothing in return expected yet we are promised that our tithes will be rewarded 100X.

A church, foundation or any non-profit organization is less heavy and much better at getting donations into the hands of the people they are helping. Halfway homes, orphanages, missions, food programs...etc.

The government is a slow cumbersome bureaucracy -- skimming cuts off the top, passing frivolous legislature, and expanding their power over the people. It isn't about taking in money for the peoples business. It's about how much the politician can squeeze through bills and attachments. Some politician thought that spending a $2.6M (of the people money)on "teaching Chinese prostitutes how to drink alcohol responsibly" was a good investment.

$2.6 Million Spent To Train Chinese Prostitutes To Drink Responsibly

Old 08-14-2011, 11:30 AM

I think it's good to question what we are asked to pay in taxes. And question how the money is spent..But I want to understand how we are "lumped together" in the eyes of local and state and federal government officials...it's going to take a lot of protesting and threats of recall to get my mayor and city council to listen to residents' complaints...In many ways they view us all as "their kids." And they view themselves as our "wise parents." They feel that they always "know best" for their community. Their power and position has "gone to their heads."...We are their flock and congregation and the "kids" in their family. And they consider our tax dollars and revenue "their money" to do with as they please....Politicians usually start off their careers at the local level and try to move up the ladder to positions in "higher places."....Some politicians try to paint themselves as "our friends" when elections roll around and others go farther and evoke God into their speeches and present themselves as "holy people" who will "save" our country....But all in all we just serve as a group of people who might be inclined to vote for them if they say the right things to each group they are with at the time.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:39 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,007,279 times
[quote=steven_h;20450950]According to CBO 42% of us don't pay a dime in taxes. We see what happens when they pick and choose winners (GM,GE) as they call for increasing the already heavy tax burden on the so-called rich.

A church, foundation or any non-profit organization is less heavy and much better at getting donations into the hands of the people they are helping. Halfway homes, orphanages, missions, food programs...etc.

How can we be so sure about this? The Catholic church hierarchy (Vatican, archbishops, etc) skim part of the take from the donations. We don't necessarily know how much goes to those in need.

Old 08-14-2011, 11:45 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Hmmmm Not really comparable.
1 is forced and the other is not.
less waste involved in the church where as in gov at all levels tremendous waste. A sense of entitlment.
Churches normally cntract amoung their own. Govs normally contract amoung those who give kick backs.
Churhes are expected to be thrifty with what they spend.
Government expects to be able to waste at will.
I really dont see anything that can be compared.
By the way I am agnostic.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:11 PM

Maybe the key is getting government officials to view what they spend as "waste." Senators and Congress members make promises to try to help the "folks back home" in order to "gain favor" and get elected...We expect the people we elect to represent us and care about our needs when they serve in Washington...We all have wants and needs and we expect our wants and needs to be considered and taken seriously...Some people are after tax breaks and other people want and need decent paying jobs and others live in fear of seeing cuts in their Social Security checks and Medicare etc...We're basically a very large "body of people" with different wants and needs. And the "kicker" is that we're all "tied together" as "one big family" whether we like it or not!

Old 08-14-2011, 12:13 PM

817 posts, read 853,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Most people put a little money in the collection box when they go to church each Sunday...Churches depend on money from their flock to pay expenses and "stay in business!"... Some of this money is used to sponsor events and outreach programs in the community and to help the poor and needy...In a way we are asked to "tithe" to our country when we pay taxes. Some of our taxes go to our city and county and state governments to pay for services and re-pave roads and fund new projects etc...Our federal taxes go into a "community pot" for a wide variety of expenses too...Churches view themselves as a "body of people." And city and state and federal governments operate on this same principle. ..Questions arise concerning how the money will be spent. Or how much we should be required to pay in taxes. Churches don't demand a "fixed amount" when it comes to donations....What would happen if everyone stopped tithing to their local church? What would happen if no one paid any taxes whatsoever?
Giving to a church and paying taxes to the IRS aren't even in the same solar system...

Old 08-14-2011, 12:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,362,657 times
Paying God and paying the Devil. Some comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies