Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 AM

31,297 posts, read 20,816,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehalo View Post

Re: taxes...keep our current "progressive tax" system, close all loop holes and do away with all tax write-offs.

how's that for being creative?
So, by all loopholes I assume you would include personal exemptions, interest deductions, charitable donation deductions, dependent deductions, child care deductions, medical deductions, etc, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 10:45 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,907,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
How's that? A flat tax rate across the board with no loopholes is much more fair to the poor and middle class than what we have now.
Not according to the person I'd responded to, where the argument was that flat tax won't affect middle class and the rich, but it will make the poor pay because they currently don't. I'm assuming that you disagree with that premise? Explain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
So, by all loopholes I assume you would include personal exemptions, interest deductions, charitable donation deductions, dependent deductions, child care deductions, medical deductions, etc, etc.
To be consistent, yes, no deductions at all. Not tax breaks... NOTHING.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:53 AM

16,828 posts, read 15,242,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
"(Reuters) - Most U.S. and foreign corporations doing business in the United States avoid paying any federal income taxes, despite trillions of dollars worth of sales, a government study released on Tuesday said."

So right wingers like tea partiers whine and complain that someone making $8 an hour is not paying taxes, yet they say nothing about "someone" who makes trillions of dollars and pays no taxes.

Hypocrisy??

Study says most corporations pay no U.S. income taxes | Reuters

I look a it this way, the corporation does not and cannot vote in any election, but its employees and share holders can if they are citizens. the corporation should not be taxed at all. after all if you tax the corporation on what they made, then the federal goverment should not be allowed to tax the share holders on any profit the make from the shares they hold.

nobody should be taxed 2 times or more for the same income.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I look a it this way, the corporation does not and cannot vote in any election, but its employees and share holders can if they are citizens.
Why can't such people as corporations vote? Is the US Constitution stopping them? Should we amend the constitution to include them? After all, we did include African Americans, and women, so why not corporations?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:05 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,364,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Why can't such people as corporations vote? Is the US Constitution stopping them? Should we amend the constitution to include them? After all, we did include African Americans, and women, so why not corporations?
Yeah!

I'm going to start a Civil Rights Movement for Corporations. (CRMFC)

I hope to make a lot of money on my speaking tours.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
Yeah!

I'm going to start a Civil Rights Movement for corporations.

I hope to make a lot of money on my speaking tours.
Too late... Romney has taken the charge already and as you should be able to tell, quite a following he has got. Corporations have taken note as well, in fact a few of them have been reported seen being born (must be an act of God) and dying for him but not before contributing their best to the great cause.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:07 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,443,928 times
Quote:
How's that? A flat tax rate across the board with no loopholes is much more fair to the poor and middle class than what we have now.
Can you afford $25 loves of bread???

Deductions keep prices down.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:11 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,138,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Not according to the person I'd responded to, where the argument was that flat tax won't affect middle class and the rich, but it will make the poor pay because they currently don't. I'm assuming that you disagree with that premise? Explain.
The flat tax won't affect the middle class that much, I agree with the PP. The rich may be affected if they are taking all these loopholes that you claim they are...they would end up paying more with a flat tax. The poor will pay b/c they currently don't pay a dime but in fact often get enough credits for a refund.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
The flat tax won't affect the middle class that much, I agree with the PP. The rich may be affected if they are taking all these loopholes that you claim they are...they would end up paying more with a flat tax. The poor will pay b/c they currently don't pay a dime but in fact often get enough credits for a refund.
Then you're not agreeing with the PP. You're hypothesizing yet another effect where middle class remains unaffected, but rich and poor pay more. I guess they ought to pay more?

Would you mind elaborating on how you arrived at this conclusion?

Old 08-19-2011, 11:18 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,138,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Can you afford $25 loves of bread???

Deductions keep prices down.
I'll just make my own bread.

Seriously, though, corporations are only subject to taxes on profits. They are taking deductions that are the cost of doing business. I don't see why liberals have such a problem with this. If they don't have a profit, they don't pay taxes.

Maybe someone can explain it to me using this example:

I own a restaurant. I pay my employees, I purchase food, I have to pay overhead, I put some money toward marketing, etc. For ease, just say my sales are $10k/week. After deducting my costs, I am left with 15% of my sales for $1500/week.

Do I pay taxes on the $10k/week or on the $1500/week? Your typical liberal on C-D would say on the $10k. BUT that is not my profit, that includes the costs of doing business. It makes NO sense to pay taxes on anything but the $1500.

I am actually in favor of the FairTax, but a flat tax with no deductions, or very limited deductions, with the elimination of the corporate tax would be my second choice of tax structure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies