Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 11:02 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,464,356 times

Advertisements

Take, err I mean "install democracy," Lebanon, Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan and you surrounded Iran.

You're welcome Israel and Saudi Arabia.

Then you focus on Iran.

Last edited by BigJon3475; 08-18-2011 at 11:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 11:06 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
President Bashar Assad said the time has come for US President Barry Obama to resign for the sake of his brutally repressed people.

Old 08-18-2011, 11:30 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
That might be true if the United States were the only country that was calling for the Syrian president to step down. But in this case, we are not even leading in the criticism of the Syrian president's actions. We are adding our voice to the overwhelming voice of the rest of the world, and hoping that if there is enough pressure brought to bear, that the violence that has been borne by the Syrian people will come to an end.

What you are saying is like saying that if the rest of the world condemns the Holocaust, the United States should keep its mouth shut, for fear that Hitler would condemn the United States for its actions, say the Japanese interment camps. Yeah, we're not perfect. But we're human beings and as human beings shouldn't we speak out against atrocities that we witness? Shouldn't we lend our voice to the voices of other countries and other leaders to try and stop further atrocities? If my neighbor is being beaten to death in the front yard by her husband, since it's not my yard, not my husband, should I mind my own business, or should I pick up the phone and call the police?
WWII was a very different situation because Hitler was advancing across Europe and conquering lands outside of his own Germany, even as he was also annhilating an entire people. There are some situations that are so extreme, nations must unite to combat the evil. In that case, though, no one told Hitler he should step down, rather, nations, each for their own reasons, joined the war and thus Hitler was brought down in defeat.

Right now, what is happening in Syria is awful, but it is still contained within Syria. Your neighbor analogy also does not work. For one thing, domestic neighbors live under the same rule of law and there is actually a police force to call. This is not the same as "neighboring countries," who do not live under the same law, and furthermore, there is no global police force (though America likes to play one on tv . . .) When the Serbians were gangraping Muslim girls and women by the thousands (probably more) I wanted to get involved and save them. As I learned more about the conflict, I began to understand better that involvement doesn't always yield the result you hope it will.

It just seems a bit absurd to me for nations to call for a leader of another nation to step down, as if he actually will. I mean, I guess I need to ask -- has that EVER worked?

Old 08-18-2011, 11:56 PM

12,498 posts, read 26,994,162 times
I think Barry has been smoking too much crack lately.

Old habits die hard.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:01 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Naw, that war is supposed to be next year just before the election.
And you can take that to the bank? wait do we want our money in the banks!

Old 08-19-2011, 09:58 AM

1,123 posts, read 776,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
WWII was a very different situation because Hitler was advancing across Europe and conquering lands outside of his own Germany, even as he was also annhilating an entire people. There are some situations that are so extreme, nations must unite to combat the evil. In that case, though, no one told Hitler he should step down, rather, nations, each for their own reasons, joined the war and thus Hitler was brought down in defeat.

Right now, what is happening in Syria is awful, but it is still contained within Syria. Your neighbor analogy also does not work.
WRONG. How many terrorist proxies operating in and against other nations are hosted in Syria - and receive massive re-supply through Syria?

The UNIFORMED Syrian army stays within its borders, but the terrorist proxies it maintains are all over the middle east. It is nonsensical lines like yours and the one about "iran hasn't attacked anyone since the dinosaurs" that make me laugh out loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies