Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:56 AM

3,301 posts, read 6,330,246 times

Advertisements

National Vietnam Veterans Day March 29
Tennessee is the first state in the union to proclaim March 29th, Vietnam Veterans Day.
Minnesota will be the second state to do so.
More Details At:
2008 will mark start of annual Vietnam Veterans Day

I just received an e-mail from Diane Finnemann from the state of Minnesota. She just informed me that Governor Pawlenty has agreed to sign into effect a proclamation making March 29th. Vietnam Veterans Day in her state, following the lead of the state of Tennessee. The proclamation should be signed sometime in September.

Two down and 48 to go!

If anyone out in your listening area want to do the same, I can lead them step by step in the process. The more states we get to do this, Washington will have to pay attention to what we are doing and bring us that precious calendar with March 29th on it reserved for Vietnam Veterans Day.

I will send you more as things progress.

Sincerely,
Dann Dunham
Welcome Home / National Vietnam Veterans Day Organizer
dsdunham@citlink.net
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 01:59 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,086,450 times
I served in Viet Nam. But my respect goes to my father who fought in 5 different battles in WWII. He never spoke about it. Just wasn't in him to carry on. When he was in his 80's we opened a box that had two bullets in them. Big bullets, .40 cal. We asked him where he got them, he said I picked up the first one in Normandy. Picked up the second in St. Low. After he died, we realized he picked them up by catching them with his body. But he never discussed it. Never complained. Never limped.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:01 PM

308 posts, read 712,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
I served in Viet Nam. But my respect goes to my father who fought in 5 different battles in WWII. He never spoke about it. Just wasn't in him to carry on. When he was in his 80's we opened a box that had two bullets in them. Big bullets, .40 cal. We asked him where he got them, he said I picked up the first one in Normandy. Picked up the second in St. Low. After he died, we realized he picked them up by catching them with his body. But he never discussed it. Never complained. Never limped.

Wow! Thanks for sharing your story.

Your Father sounds like he was a great man!

Old 08-15-2007, 02:05 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,086,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Libertarian View Post
Wow! Thanks for sharing your story.

Your Father sounds like he was a great man!
He was. It's kind of funny, we talk about getting into this fight or that one and gaining ground or dodging this one or that. He never discussed it. Didn't think it was important. Just a job he was called to do.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:35 AM

Default Update, Georgia and New York are now starting the proclamation trail to make March 29th Vietnam Veterans Day.

Update, Georgia and New York are now starting the proclamation trail to make March 29th Vietnam Veterans Day.

If you would like to help get this started in your state, please contact:

Dann Dunham
Welcome Home / National Vietnam Veterans Day Organizer
dsdunham@citlink.net contact Dann at (931) 788-2919

Old 08-29-2007, 09:19 AM

113 posts, read 333,339 times
Viet Nam Veterans Day- Absolutely!!! Tennessee the first state- Bravo Zulu!!! It takes a while to get it all into the brain but Tennessee is a very patriotic state. We have been here a short time. It is not wierd that they send their sons off to the current war...they are through and through a country-loving, patriotic people. See the New Movie out if you don't know the Southern mindset on love of contry: The Last Confederate.

Old 08-29-2007, 11:47 AM

595 posts, read 2,345,233 times
Still think this is somewhat stupid.
a. Korean War vets fought in what is termed the Forgotten War. Almost no one gives a damn about those who fought in Korea.
b. We have more serious issues to deal with, and unless this is make a certificate and be done with it...this is just retarded
c. Most people do not even remember WW1, Spanish American War, even Mexican War War of 1812 vets anymore..but doesn't change the fact that American men died on fields of battle all the same.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:05 PM

113 posts, read 333,339 times
Default "somewhat stupid"-regarding Vietnam Vet. Day

Okay thanks for your opinion. I hope I lifted some hearts with mine. There are still many Vietnam remembering people on the planet last time I checked...form vets to offspring and other family members and friends. It is the way our country has always been-people who choose to honor and a smaller number of people who feel differently. Thank you, again for participating. Good bye.

Old 09-01-2007, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudCapMarine View Post
Tennessee is the first state in the union to proclaim March 29th, Vietnam Veterans Day.
2008 will mark start of annual Vietnam Veterans Day

Other states are thinking about it.

Do you support a national Vietnam Veterans day?

Please turn on your computer's speakers, before pressing the U-Tube link.

Vietnam War Vet Tribute

YouTube - Vietnam War Vet Tribute

Still in Saigon

YouTube - Still in Saigon

Old 09-01-2007, 05:13 PM

595 posts, read 2,345,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catsndogs View Post
Okay thanks for your opinion. I hope I lifted some hearts with mine. There are still many Vietnam remembering people on the planet last time I checked...form vets to offspring and other family members and friends. It is the way our country has always been-people who choose to honor and a smaller number of people who feel differently. Thank you, again for participating. Good bye.

No good bye.
My father fought in the Battle of Choson Reservoir as a U.S. Marine and while no one seems to have given a damn about the people who died there, and it remains largely forgotten...many of Korea's veterans are still alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies