Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 07:25 AM

11,759 posts, read 14,650,345 times

Advertisements

Consider the explicitly racist messages of some of these commercials:

Too Hot For Corker - YouTube
Check the woman at 0:10 and again at the end.

Jesse Helms "Hands" ad - YouTube

Willie Horton 1988 Attack Ad - YouTube

I have no doubt that the conservatives here will claim there is nothing racist about any of these ads, but they would be wrong.

The anti-Harold Ford ad, with the sleazy white woman recounting her sexual encounter with him and asking him to call her, blatantly plays on white racist fears of black men and white women.

The Jesse Helms ad is a clear play to try to play on white racist beliefs that black people are responsible for their problems.

The Willie Horton ad (hint: the man's name was not even "Willie", a stereotypical black first name, but William) was, like most political commercials focused on crime, a play on white fears of black men.

Or the ad discussed here, in which the Republicans created a fake photo to make it appear that Mark Warner, then running for Senate from Virginia, was shaking hands with a black man.

Or, just listen to what Lee Atwater, the most important Republican strategist in the 1980's, said about the strategies that he designed and implemented for your party:
Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "******, ******, ******." By 1968 you can't say "******" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "******, ******."[6][7]

Now tell me why a black voter would be attracted to a party that decides that this is an acceptable way to get votes.

*Please note: none of the examples I have chosen here are anything like a gaffe or a faux pas, like George Allen's "macaca" moment. Every single one of these examples represents a deliberate choice by the Republican Party to inject a racial appeal into an election.

Last edited by jackmccullough; 08-21-2011 at 08:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:58 AM

88 posts, read 214,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This is another example of how blacks expect special treatment.
Pure Garbage.

Why would I or any other black person want to vote Republican when you think all black people want special treatment.

Last edited by Napoleon357; 08-21-2011 at 09:11 AM..

Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,289,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunks_galore View Post
I love how so many white conservative posters want to insult black people by suggesting that they are all welfare dependent layabouts who have been brainwashed by their Democratic overlords, and then have the balls to be shocked that more black people aren't running over to the Republican Party. Don't you get it? Folks like you are a large part of the problem.
Even after you explain this to them they are clueless. It's actually amazing that someone could be that willfully ignorant.

By the way, this isn't exclusive to Blacks, the OP could have been about gays, Muslims, immigrants, poor people, Hispanics, etc...

Old 08-21-2011, 10:28 AM

6,233 posts, read 9,479,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Consider the explicitly racist messages of some of these commercials:

Too Hot For Corker - YouTube
Check the woman at 0:10 and again at the end.

Jesse Helms "Hands" ad - YouTube

Willie Horton 1988 Attack Ad - YouTube

I have no doubt that the conservatives here will claim there is nothing racist about any of these ads, but they would be wrong.

The anti-Harold Ford ad, with the sleazy white woman recounting her sexual encounter with him and asking him to call her, blatantly plays on white racist fears of black men and white women.

The Jesse Helms ad is a clear play to try to play on white racist beliefs that black people are responsible for their problems.

The Willie Horton ad (hint: the man's name was not even "Willie", a stereotypical black first name, but William) was, like most political commercials focused on crime, a play on white fears of black men.

Or the ad discussed here, in which the Republicans created a fake photo to make it appear that Mark Warner, then running for Senate from Virginia, was shaking hands with a black man.

Or, just listen to what Lee Atwater, the most important Republican strategist in the 1980's, said about the strategies that he designed and implemented for your party:
Atwater: You start out in 1954 by saying, "******, ******, ******." By 1968 you can't say "******" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like forced busing, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about cutting taxes, and all these things you're talking about are totally economic things and a byproduct of them is [that] blacks get hurt worse than whites. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the racial problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to cut this," is much more abstract than even the busing thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "******, ******."[6][7]

Now tell me why a black voter would be attracted to a party that decides that this is an acceptable way to get votes.

*Please note: none of the examples I have chosen here are anything like a gaffe or a faux pas, like George Allen's "macaca" moment. Every single one of these examples represents a deliberate choice by the Republican Party to inject a racial appeal into an election.

Wow....wow. I'm speechless by the Helms Ad.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:36 AM

So there have been two types of responses to the OP.

Black members response. "Although many of us have conservative values, we feel the GOP harbors much ill will towards us and has no desire to welcome us to their party

The GOP response " Blacks only want welfare and we are not willing to give it to them, plus they are too stupid and ignorant to know whats best for them. Oh, and Lincoln was Republican, therefore you should vote Republican"

Old 08-21-2011, 10:37 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
So there have been two types of responses to the OP.

Black members response. "Although many of us have conservative values, we feel the GOP harbors much ill will towards us and has no desire to welcome us to their party

The GOP response " Blacks only want welfare and we are not willing to give it to them, plus they are too stupid and ignorant to know whats best for them"
You've got the GOP response confused with the line coming from the Democrat overlords: "Any black who doesn't agree with whatever we decide is best for them is a stupid and ignorant race traitor."

Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Okay, but you won't get it, will deny it, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam. It's what you do.

You made a statement as to your beliefs about how little racism there really is, and then went on to make a racist statement. Really, negating your previous denials of racism.
What racist statement was that? And of course I will deny it if the statement was not meant to be racist...and without knowing what it is, I can STILL tell you I would never say something here or anywhere else that was intended to be racist. It's not my fault you took it that way.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
What racist statement was that? And of course I will deny it if the statement was not meant to be racist.. .
Translation, quote me so I can deny the quote.

This is silly and you know it. Games people play

Old 08-21-2011, 10:55 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Blacks but not just blacks should vote for Herman Cain. That would be a win-win candidate, they could vote not just for race but because he's the candidate who most cares about the American people and this country.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,109,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Not in every community, some communities are 99% white, and I'm not just talking about big national races here, I'm also referring to some of the more localized stuff. Fact of the matter is Democratic candidates will go out into many different neighborhoods, and visit all sorts of communities, while Republican candidates will shy away from certain communities, won't hand out fliers, won't call people up, won't go door to door.
Okay, I understand what you're saying. I disagree, however. I don't answer my door to anyone I don't recognize, so I can't say this for sure, but as far as I know, no candidate has ever knocked on my door. I imagine if they did, they would have left literature if I did not answer. I have lived in predominantly white neighborhoods my whole life. I see ads filling up my mailbox with direct mail from candidates, but that's it.

There was a Biden rally in Ocala, FL when I lived there (2007), but I would point out that it was way out west of the city in horse country and the vast majority of the attendees were white. Senator Nelson was there to speak also (he's a Dem).

Maybe the Democrats are racist, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies