Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Yes or No?
Yes, America Has Yet Seen Her Full Economic Potential 7 11.48%
No, America's Economic Booms Are Behind Her 54 88.52%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2011, 06:49 PM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
We already had corporatism under W and we can see the outright nightmare that caused. Right wing fiscal policies have never led to anything but more spending, more debt, and a worse economy.

In china.
The right wing goons don't give a damn about jobs here. Where are all the jobs Bachmann and the other right wingers were promising to create when they took the house?
you are aware that we still have a democratic president and a democratic senate?

for the record, those gigantic banking bonuses were under obama and the obama pay czar.

obama extended the bush tax cuts in case you didn't know that, but he actually ramped up the "bush spending".

evidently he isn't the only spender in the family because we have this from the daily mail UK:
The Obamas' summer break on Martha's Vineyard has already been branded a PR disaster after the couple arrived four hours apart on separate government jets.
But according to new reports, this is the least of their extravagances.
White House sources today claimed that the First Lady has spent $10million of U.S. taxpayers' money on vacations alone in the past year.

here's the article:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...vacations.html

it's good to be king and queen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2011, 06:52 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
Well, gee, my crystal ball is in the shop...
I doubt there'll be a return to those boom times until at least the next decade.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:54 PM

1,410 posts, read 2,139,829 times
I never understood why the media and economists keep saying that the recession ended in summer of 2009.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:56 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by temazepam View Post
I never understood why the media and economists keep saying that the recession ended in summer of 2009.
Technically, it did. The economy's GDP is no longer receding. It's expanding... just at a very slow rate.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:58 PM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasandy View Post
you are aware that we still have a democratic president and a democratic senate?
Which is correct, that haven't been able to get a damn thing done as the republicans keep acting like a bunch of babies filibustering absolutely everything the democrats propose to better the country. The right are holding the country hostage, trying to purposely tank the nation for their own political gain.

Quote:
for the record, those gigantic banking bonuses were under obama and the obama pay czar.
Most were under Bush, but Obama did give the big banks funds as well, showing his center/right position.

Quote:
obama extended the bush tax cuts in case you didn't know that, but he actually ramped up the "bush spending".
After the republicans and tea party threw a tantrum threatening to shut down the nation unless they got their precious tax cuts extended. This one I do agree was one of Obama's biggest blunders and he should have just let them expire, but keep in mind the tax cuts for the rich was a disastrous republican plan. If the right were for any kind of fiscal sanity, they never would have pushed to extend them in the first place.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:12 PM

185 posts, read 159,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowledgeiskey View Post
That boom is the reason why we are in the mess we are in now.

The housing bubble was not real economic growth. It was an economy based on lies.
Agreed, I truly don't understand why people don't recognize this. Take notice to the interest rates before and after that time period, look at the amount of credit in the markets.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
We also have the world's best universities, an infrastructure that is declining but is still one of the best in the world, a huge consumer market, some of the best agricultural land, untapped oil and mineral reserves, a very strong entrepeneurial record, etc. The U.S. is still a very good place to invest.

Please quote source of this 'fact' " infrastructure that is declining but is still one of the best in the world, "

Old 08-25-2011, 07:29 PM

7,168 posts, read 5,366,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempesT68 View Post
With a strong progressive president and congress absolutely.
Are the progressive policies you are talking about how more people on Snap and more people on UE is a boom to consumer spending and good for the economy. I forgot to add on borrowed money to boot. Are those the progressive policies?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv101 View Post
I agree with WestCobb, but getting rid of the Obamaminable one is priority #1, and replacing him with a pro-ambition, pro-capitalism, and pro individual freedom of choice President is an absolute must.

Several million citizens could be put back to work in a hurry if the interference and moronic attempts to micromanagve our economy from DC came to an immediate halt.

If you beleive that getting rid of the puppet will solve most of the problems.. Then you fail to grasp the magnitude and depth of the situation. You fail to realize that it mostly doesn't matter who is president as these issues are structural and require less corrupt congress to implement some changes. Not to mention that the financial oligarchs will destroy any attempt to undo what has been already done.

I believe this is why another poster mentioned why politics have to injected into an economic situation.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:34 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tk101 View Post
Please quote source of this 'fact' " infrastructure that is declining but is still one of the best in the world, "
According to this link, we rank 23. I heard 22 the other day on the radio. Granted, this isn't anything to brag about, but it shows our infrastructure is by no means third world standards. Ten years ago, we ranked ninth. That tells me that ten years from now, we can rank in the top 10 again as soon as we start investing in it again.

Quality of overall infrastructure - Country Rankings 2011
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies