Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,973,306 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I have seen the word racism used against the Tea Party too much (I'm guilty of that as well) so I thought I would set teh record straight.

The meaning of racism is a belief that differences in intelligence or traits among different people can be entirely due to one's race. A racist is one who practices racism.

Discrimination is prejudicial treatment of an individual based on his race and forming stereotypes of that individual.

The two words are often used interchangeably by the public but there is a subtle difference.

My impression of Tea Partiers are that they hate Obama because he is Black. But I don't believe Tea Partiers think Obama is stupid or can't lead because he is Black (rather because he is a Democrat).

Tea Partiers are not racist against Obama because of his race. Rather they discriminate against him.
Can you establish a valid support for this "tea party" opinion? Is this position established within their mission statement?

Or were you just making assumptions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 09:15 AM

17,403 posts, read 12,008,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo2008 View Post
Tea baggers don't like Obama because he's black and he's a Democrat. They hate both of those. I discriminate as well. I discriminate against stupidity therefore I discriminate against tea baggers.
Proving the point exactly. Your beloved Obama has nothing left but the cry of racism. Please show your proof that TP folks hate black people.

Old 08-31-2011, 10:55 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,165,004 times
The distinction between "racism" and "discrimination" that the OP is attempting to make is pure BS. It's a thinly veiled attempt to get those of us who identify as being a part of the Tea Party movement to admit to being racists. I thought the OP was smarter than that - I guess I was wrong.

Quote:
Core Values

• Fiscal Responsibility
• Constitutionally Limited Government
• Free Markets
I'm not seeing "skin color" anywhere in that list. Peruse the full text if you like, and let me know if you find the words "black president" or something to that effect in there.

Until the OP can provide proof (verifiable, indisputable facts/evidence) that the movement is rooted in racism, the accusation leveled is pure libel.

The charge of racism has been used since our movement started gaining momentum, and not a single person has ever provided a single shred of evidence proving that it's about anything other than what's documented in the above link. The argument is old, worn out and has been proven to be false every time it's been brought up.

I'm actually surprised that they're still trying to use it. It clearly isn't working, and every time that card is played, its potential for any meaningful impact diminishes. The fact that they're still crying "race," despite its lack of effectiveness, only indicates that they have nothing else with which to defend their political positions. It's impossible to defend policies that have been complete and utter failures, and they know it, so their only choices are to bring out the race card (again) or to admit that they were wrong. I don't see the latter happening - ever.

I wonder what they're going to use next... Maybe they'll call us all "old" and "fat" and "stupid." Oh, wait... they already do that. Well, I guess we know what the next wave of attacks will be about. It certainly won't be about policy - they have nothing to defend when it comes to that subject, so they'll steer very wide of it and focus exclusively on personal insults - it's all they can do, after all.

Old 08-31-2011, 11:10 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,482,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMe View Post
Want to talk about vitriol? Most presidents get to enjoy what is termed a honeymoon after their inauguration. Obama had an extended honeymoon. GW Bush never had one. The very day he was inaugurated the Clintonistas vandalized the West Wing of the White House and it was downhill from there, except for a very brief respite after 9/11.

As far as the tea partiers are concerned the movement arose in opposition to the Stimulus package that was rammed through Congress. Although it was duly signed into law by Obama the stimulus was identified with Pelosi and Reid and the Democrat-controlled Congress and the opposition was largely focused on Congress, not on Obama who was still enjoying his honeymoon.

The sudden rise of the tea parties and the way they coalesced against the Democrat agenda posed a real threat to that agenda. In order to neutralize that threat Pelosi and company and the left-wing chattering class tried to discredit and marginalize tea partiers as racists and pawns of Republican moneyed interests (never mind that the tea party successfully challenged and unseated a number of Republican stalwarts, including Specter, Murkowski, Castle, Bennett, etc.). That effort continues to this day, as witness the OP.
Um Obama never had a extended honeymoon. lol. His honeymoon was cut short if anything. And if the tea party isn't in league with the Republicans, how come it got hijacked by them?

Old 08-31-2011, 11:16 AM

32,833 posts, read 19,539,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btsilver View Post
Um Obama never had a extended honeymoon. lol. His honeymoon was cut short if anything. And if the tea party isn't in league with the Republicans, how come it got hijacked by them?
uhm

you do understand what TEA party means

Taxed
Enough
Already

what are the fascist liberals about....high taxes..more taxes..tax the air, tax the carbon, tax the water, tax the fuel

what are the republicans/conservatives about...low taxes , small unintresive government

the teapary was complaining about bush and his expanding the government with the patriot act, medicare d, and amnesty

common sense states the teaparty would be CLOSER to the reps than the fascist liberals

Old 08-31-2011, 11:17 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,232,888 times
Tea Partiers are not racist but they do discriminate.

Yeah, they probably shop at Macy's, too.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM

59,347 posts, read 27,522,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
I have seen the word racism used against the Tea Party too much (I'm guilty of that as well) so I thought I would set teh record straight.

The meaning of racism is a belief that differences in intelligence or traits among different people can be entirely due to one's race. A racist is one who practices racism.

Discrimination is prejudicial treatment of an individual based on his race and forming stereotypes of that individual.

The two words are often used interchangeably by the public but there is a subtle difference.

My impression of Tea Partiers are that they hate Obama because he is Black. But I don't believe Tea Partiers think Obama is stupid or can't lead because he is Black (rather because he is a Democrat).

Tea Partiers are not racist against Obama because of his race. Rather they discriminate against him.
Right. It has NOTHING to do with his polices.

Those that do the accusing, are usually the guilty ones.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:06 PM

37,973 posts, read 17,928,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post
The term 'Tea Party' wasn't used for a modern political movement until January or February 2009 - after Barack Obama was sworn in as President. Anything Ron Paul started in 2007 didn't use the term and was more a libertarian movement; and Libertarianism existed before Ron Paul ever took elected office. And you've got to admit, the Tea Party includes more than just libertarians.
In 2007 the term Tea Party was used over and over again while Bush was in office and before Obama entered. The proof is all around. Here's two of many videos from 2007.

Ron Paul Tea Party - Santa Monica Pier 12/16/07

Ron Paul Tea Party - Santa Monica Pier - YouTube

Austin Tea Party / Ron Paul rally 12-16-2007

Austin Tea Party / Ron Paul rally 12-16-2007 - YouTube

Old 08-31-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Tea baggers don't like Obama because he's black and he's a Democrat. They hate both of those. I discriminate as well. I discriminate against stupidity therefore I discriminate against tea baggers.
Maybe you should stay away fro those gay bars then.

Old 08-31-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You just gave a summary of Bush's 8 years. When Obama beat McCain that was the best thing that happened to America since Bill Clinton.
I guess you hate makes you refuse to accept reality.

Yep, those bad 8 years. It is really those bad 2 years. What happened? The dems took control of Congress.

Tax revenues INCREASED after the tax cuts were implemented. Again the DEMS VOTED FOR the tax cuts. The dems voted TO EXTEND the tax cuts.

"Publication: Business Wire
Date: Friday, January 4 2008

More Than 8.3 Million Jobs Created Since August 2003 In Longest Continuous Run Of Job Growth On Record

WASHINGTON -- Today, the Bureau of Labor Statistics released new jobs figures - 18,000 jobs created in December. Since August 2003, more than 8.3 million jobs have been created, with more than 1.3 million jobs created throughout 2007. Our economy has now added jobs for 52 straight months - the longest period of uninterrupted job growth on record. The unemployment rate remains low at 5 percent. The U.S. economy benefits from a solid foundation, but we cannot take economic growth for granted and economic indicators have become increasingly mixed. President Bush will continue working with Congress to address the challenges our economy faces and help facilitate long-term economic growth, job growth, and better standards of living for all Americans.

The U.S. Economy Benefits From A Solid Foundation

* Real GDP grew at a strong 4.9 percent annual rate in the third quarter of 2007. The economy has now experienced six years of uninterrupted growth, averaging 2.8 percent a year since 2001.

* Real after-tax per capita personal income has risen by 11.7 percent - an average of more than $3,550 per person - since President Bush took office.

* Over the course of this Administration, productivity growth has averaged 2.6 percent per year. This growth is well above average productivity growth in the 1990s, 1980s, and 1970s."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies