Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 02:35 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,928,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Why is it so difficult for some people to accept that when life has begun,
no one has the right to end it?
Perhaps you should examine miscarriage statistics. Nature aborts many more lives each year than women do. I had an uncle who was in a vehicular accident. Motorcycle versus semi-truck. The police had to scoop up brain matter off the street. But the hospital resuscitated him, because that was the law. And my aunt had to end his life. He didn't have a brain, but he had a heartbeat. Fetuses don't have brains, though they have heartbeats. Is that really a life? I don't believe it is. You do. But you also think you should impose your beliefs on me, that your beliefs take precedence. I can respect your beliefs, but I reject your imposing them on me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 02:36 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,031,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
As in wars?

As in capital punishment?

Are you trying to "expose" some hypocrisy on my part?
I'm anti-war and anti-capital punishment.

Nice try, though.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Perhaps you should examine miscarriage statistics. Nature aborts many more lives each year than women do.
As someone who has had a miscarriage, I don't need you to preach miscarriage statistics to me.
I do want to offer my condolences on the loss of your uncle and the horrible circumstances under which you lost him.

The point is not that I "don't respect your choice to do what with your body,"
the point is there is a life to protect, and I disagree with the cessation of the beginning of that life.

Pro-life:
Anti-abortion
Anti-war
Anti- death penalty

Old 08-31-2011, 02:41 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,178,125 times
Quote:
As in wars?

As in capital punishment?

Why is it so hard for you to understand that an abortion isn't ending a "life". "Life " hasn't started yet.

Why can't you understand that abortion in some form or other has been around since humans have been around....

1. making it illegal does not stop it

2. making it illegal does kill people.
Quote:
Are you trying to "expose" some hypocrisy on my part?
I'm anti-war and anti-capital punishment.

Nice try, though.
Oh gosh, you conveniently left out part of my post you quoted, the Inconvenient part......nice try though.

Did ya notice wars and capital punishment are still here....they never stopped....it's part of human nature....

Old 08-31-2011, 02:43 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,737,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
ok you answered my question, you just like being difficult and obtuse.

So I guess discussing Perry in this thread is unnecessary? I mean considering it's an abortion law presented in Texas under the governance of Perry, who was a major proponent of this law. No I guess it wouldn't make sense to mention him or his idiotic, antiquated, misogynistic, fundamentalist governing.

The fact is this is a draconian and ideological law forced upon women by religious zealot politicians (e.g. RICK PERRY, someone who according to some people has no bearing on this conversation). I understand they are pro-life and their hearts and misguided heads are in the right place, but this is not the way a civil society governs. Forcing women to endure more trauma when they're already experiencing a traumatic and difficult situation in their lives is plain cruel.
Can't rep you again yet - +1. Excellent post.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:45 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,737,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I find it humorous how Republicans think a group of tissue a mm in size holds more value than an adult woman or an actual baby. You guys say how precious this tissue is, yet once it develops into a baby and is born you couldn't give two rats about it or the mother. It's important until it becomes a functioning human, GREAT LOGIC! Continue pushing for cuts to child healthcare and support! Hypocrites!
^^This.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Oh gosh, you conveniently left out part of my post you quoted, the Inconvenient part......nice try though.

Did ya notice wars and capital punishment are still here....they never stopped....it's part of human nature....
Nothing convenient about it; I'm just not in the business of having a knee-jerk reaction to every post as if I'm writing a thesis on this C-D thread. You flatter yourself.

But for what it's worth,
I'm perfectly aware things happen when they are illegal anyway, but
but when it's legally sanctioned, then I pipe up.

The rate of abortion sure as heck shoots way up when the attitude is "well, I can always just have an abortion"
and don't give me the line of "no one wants an abortion."

Sure they do.

Plenty of women and men are more than willing to snuff out that life because to allow it to grow would not be terribly ...what was the word you like?... CONVENIENT.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:51 PM

38,043 posts, read 22,219,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
A Fed Appeals Court has tossed out the key provisions of Texas' new anti-abortiuon law. The law would have required a female needing an abortion to get a sonogram, and sit still while a doctor described the fetus. The judge could barely contain his comtempt for the law, saying it would force doctors to perform a medically unnecessary procedure, and give ideologically motivated lectures, a violation of the 1st Amendment.

This repulsive law, a naked attempt to make abortions even more difficult and agonizing for the women trying to exercise their lawful rights, was championed by Gov Rick Perry (American Taliban Party).

Think twice, or three times, people, before you consider supporting Perry.

Unless, of course, this kind of cruel, misogynistic, paternalistic crap is OK with you .

If there really WAS a God, he'd come down and kick Perry's ass for stuff like this.

Federal judge strikes down key provisions of Texas law requiring sonogram before abortion - The Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/federal-judge-strikes-down-key-provisions-of-texas-sonogram-law/2011/08/30/gIQANw0RqJ_story.html - broken link)
If a person wants to amputate a perfectly good finger or hand, would it be wrong for a state law to require a doctor must discuss this with the patient first? Or is that misogynistic too?

Old 08-31-2011, 02:52 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,178,125 times
Quote:
As someone who has had a miscarriage, I don't need you to preach miscarriage statistics to me.
I do want to offer my condolences on the loss of your uncle and the horrible circumstances under which you lost him.

The point is not that I "don't respect your choice to do what with your body,"
the point is there is a life to protect, and I disagree with the cessation of the beginning of that life.

Pro-life:
Anti-abortion
Anti-war
Anti- death penalty
"""" I "don't respect your choice to do what with your body," """

Kinda like the Chinese? Like Muslims? Maybe you don't like a country where women are treated like equal humans, adult citizens.....

Old 08-31-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
"""" I "don't respect your choice to do what with your body," """

Kinda like the Chinese? Like Muslims? Maybe you don't like a country where women are treated like equal humans, adult citizens.....
Please.
Those women have to come from somewhere.
The womb, perhaps.

I'm done with your back-and-forth because it's not worth the time.
Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies