Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: The Israel-Palestine solution poll
Create a Palestinian State with Jerusalem as part of it 18 15.79%
Create a Palestinian State minus Jerusalem 37 32.46%
Create a Palestinian State with some form of common jurisdiction over Jerusalem 36 31.58%
No Palestinian State, I support the status quo 23 20.18%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 01:29 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times

Advertisements

Since the overwhelming majority is in agreement that there should be creation of a Palestinian state, why not create it first and then work out the Jerusalem details later. That is what I don't understand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 01:32 AM

3,485 posts, read 7,311,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I voted for no palestinian state, 95% of the arabs that live in Israel and call themselves palestinian are offspring of immigrants that moved to Israel at some point because the jews made it into a place worth moving to. There was only a couple hundred thousand people there before 1900. Jews created jobs and made something out of nothing. Israel was formed in the late stages of the "might makes right" era. They took this small section of land by force to make a homeland for themselves, it belongs to them and would be a good place to live if the arabs were gone.

Israel should deport their arab population to whatever arab country they want to go, and those arab countries should gladly accept them, as they have for decades been forcing out christians and jews from their lands.
That's the biggest load of propaganda. LOL.

Old 09-02-2011, 01:37 AM

323 posts, read 321,737 times
I fully back Israel meaning coming of military retirement to help them.

Old 09-02-2011, 05:16 AM

12,867 posts, read 14,916,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterpetron View Post
Until the jew-hating, mentally ill trash permeating this thread can address these four points, they will continue to have zero credibility:

1) arab muslims will not tolerate the rights or sovereignty of any other group in the middle east.

2) arab muslims believe that they alone have the right to use violence to resolve conflicts, but require everyone else - particularly if the other party is more powerful - must use diplomacy.

3) the arab muslims were terrorizing and murdering jews long before israel - or the settlements in the WB - even existed.

4) as long as the current regime of iran exists, peace is not possible in the middle east.
are you suggesting then that the united states physically overthrow the current regime in iran?

i don't think that war option is acceptable to most americans-certainly not as things stand now.

you forget that there are atrocities all over the middle east and we do not involve ourselves in all of them.

as well, israel spies on us (as all countries do), did blow up our warship (accidental?), and killed our soldiers. (it happened so you can't deny it).

wars aren't good for anybody and the less wars the better.

every single war kills many people which people like you call "collateral damage/casualties", but which i see as american citizens being killed.

that is not acceptable to me unless WE are directly attacked. we should be pumping some of our money into better defensive capabilities because the world is an unstable place.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:35 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Mods, thanks for re-opening my thread

So there's an overwhelming silent majority in America which votes for a state of Palestine to be formed and recognizes the wrongdoings of the Israeli military/government despite heavy media bias to the contrary. It's encouraging

I wonder if it has a direct correlation to the decline in "extreme" and incorrect forms Christianity.

Old 09-02-2011, 06:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,724,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miyu View Post
Since the overwhelming majority is in agreement that there should be creation of a Palestinian state, why not create it first and then work out the Jerusalem details later. That is what I don't understand.
Jerusalem is the sore point. Has all the holy places of both religions, even Christianity.

Balian tells Salah-ah-din in the movie "Kingdom of Heaven" in the final sequences:

"Before I surrender, I'll burn every holy site within the walls to the ground, ours, yours and everything that drives men mad"

That last part of the sentence How sadly true

Old 09-02-2011, 10:01 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is a bit like the hen - egg problem. Why would the Palestinians support the existence of Israel first, if Israel does not support that of Palestine? (not that I favor a two-state solution, but still...) Nor would I make any concessions regarding the settlements just to arrive at some unfair peace deal. Israel is certainly aware of that dilemma and tries to maintain it, as it benefits hugely from the present situation (victim status, money and military aid from abroad, time to expand settlements, etc.).

No Neuling it is not chicken or egg. If we let it be "chicken or egg" then we will still be here discussing this stupid issue when we are all old and grey.

The ISSUE is about peace or no peace. There is only 1 way to have peace.

The issue boils down to two questions.
1. What happens if the Palestinians stop fighting?
2. What happens if the Israelis stop fighting?

in the first case, the Palestinians get a country.
in the second case Israel ceases to be a nation.

that makes it very clear what the next step needs to be.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:08 AM

12,711 posts, read 13,481,395 times
Yes, Ferd. The next step is to say bye-bye to the diplomatic, moral and strategic blunder called the State of Israel.

Old 09-02-2011, 10:55 AM

9,961 posts, read 17,527,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofford View Post
I voted for no palestinian state, 95% of the arabs that live in Israel and call themselves palestinian are offspring of immigrants that moved to Israel at some point because the jews made it into a place worth moving to. There was only a couple hundred thousand people there before 1900. Jews created jobs and made something out of nothing. Israel was formed in the late stages of the "might makes right" era. They took this small section of land by force to make a homeland for themselves, it belongs to them and would be a good place to live if the arabs were gone.

Israel should deport their arab population to whatever arab country they want to go, and those arab countries should gladly accept them, as they have for decades been forcing out christians and jews from their lands.
Referring to the bolded statement, what kind of revisionist claptrap is this? After it's creation Israel would never allow Arabs from neighboring countries to immigrate to Israel---just as Palestinian Arabs who's families left in 1948 aren't allow to migrate back. There were over 500,000 Arabs in Palestine in 1900, it wasn't really until the 1920s and 30s that Jewish immigration was substantial enough to even be notable and at the time of partition, the area was still over 65% Arab.

Quote:
In 1920, the League of Nations' Interim Report on the Civil Administration of Palestine stated that there were 700,000 people living in Palestine:

Of these 235,000 live in the larger towns, 465,000 in the smaller towns and villages. Four-fifths of the whole population are Moslems. A small proportion of these are Bedouin Arabs; the remainder, although they speak Arabic and are termed Arabs, are largely of mixed race. Some 77,000 of the population are Christians, in large majority belonging to the Orthodox Church, and speaking Arabic. The minority are members of the Latin or of the Uniate Greek Catholic Church, or—a small number—are Protestants. The Jewish element of the population numbers 76,000. Almost all have entered Palestine during the last 40 years. Prior to 1850 there were in the country only a handful of Jews. In the following 30 years a few hundreds came to Palestine. Most of them were animated by religious motives; they came to pray and to die in the Holy Land, and to be buried in its soil. After the persecutions in Russia forty years ago, the movement of the Jews to Palestine assumed larger proportions.

Old 09-02-2011, 11:48 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,726,479 times
Before I offer my views on the subject at hand:

1. I think Jews have contributed greatly (disproportionately to their numbers) to the betterment of American society--from everything from civil rights to medical research to music.
2. The Holocaust happened, and it was unspeakably horrible.
3. Israelis are very split on the question of what to do about the occupied territories.
4. The status quo is bad for the long-term security of Israel. (Few would debate this.)
5. It seems so obvious that it shouldn't even have to be said, but one can criticize Israel (as many Jews and many Israelis do) and not hate, dislike, or otherwise have negative views toward Jews.
6. A Palestinian state (the most commonly proposed solution) would most likely entail a very poor country full of very poor, very angry citizens, right next to Israel. In essence, little would change.

The poll didn't include the option I support:

A one-state solution. One state--no longer a Jewish state but a polytheistic society like the USA--including all citizens as equals and including Gaza and the West Bank.

What that means:

Israel has to first abide by the Oslo accords it agreed to in 1997, in which it committed to endling settlements in the West Bank and Gaza.

Israel would also need to give back the homes of the Palestinians who have been forced from their homes and farms. Not just in 1948 but in 2011, to make way for settlers in East Jerusalem. That would mean resettling a lot of Jewish Israelis.

Israel would then get to annex the West Bank and Gaza (resettling the Jewish settlers who moved there illegally, with covert government support).

The new Palestinian Israelis--there are already many of them living inside Israel--would then have to swear allegiance to the new Israel or Palisrael or Israstine or whatever they decide to call it. And serve in its Army like everyone else.

Would it be easy? No. But it's the only fair solution and the only one that promises something better for Israel and for the Palestinians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies