Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2011, 07:36 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times

Advertisements

im mixed. i dont label myself a mixed american.

i say im an american.

its only the government who beats into our heads that we have to walk outside with appropriate labels on us.

and people are stupid enough to fall for it.

beck was specifically talking about south africa and the differences between coloreds and blacks.

coloreds in south africa hold the power that blacks dont.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 07:39 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,923,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
The NAACP doesn't seem to mind. You are aware of what the "C" stands for aren't you (hint: it's not the speed of light)?

It also didnt seem to cause a stir amongst the who's who of black celebrity who starred in the film For Colored Girls.

Do you always flame out to common sense?
dumb argument. naacp has been around for years and is a historic organization. having colored in the name has no relevance to blacks wanting to be ok with it in 2011.

for colored girls was a movie, not real life. not sure if you knew it or not.
was also based on a book. again, not real life.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:40 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Glenn Beck is a drug user and megalomaniac. He is completely ignorant and is very sensationalistic. He has the logic capabilities of a 14 year old teenage cheerleader. In summation, this man has no capability.

Also, how absolutely arrogant is he to assume he has the right to tell a whole ethnic group how to refer to themselves. This guy is a complete brickhead.
Well , he was IN Africa when he was speaking about it . They were probably asking why we say African American .

Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,651,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFish2 View Post
X2.. Unless you were born in Africa, and are now living in America.. you aren't African American.
Your opinion, which means nothing to me or any other African American.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:46 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
dumb argument. naacp has been around for years and is a historic organization. having colored in the name has no relevance to blacks wanting to be ok with it in 2011.
What exactly is "dumb" about the argument? The NAACP core mission is to advance the cause of the group of people we are talking about. It's not as if its a fraternity. Doesn't it make sense that if using the term "colored" is truly so offensive as to hurt their cause that they would change it? If it is then you get into a series of convoluted arguments about how it IS offensive but....

it's ok for the NAACP to use it because they are black (kind of like it being ok for blacks to call each other the n-word but not ok for whites to use it)

it's ok for the NAACP to use it because it's proof of how they've gotten beyond the denigrating terms used decades ago and being able to use an offensive term is proof of their strength

it's ok for the NAACP to use it because yeah it's offensive but they have name recognition with NAACP and no one would be able to find them if they changed it to NAABP

?

Old 09-02-2011, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by organicgreen View Post
those are typical black last names...
Actually those names are of European origin. Europeans are white. Black people in America are of African origin..........which is why we use the term African American to describe them.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
I didn't listen to the clip but going by the OP's history I suspect Beck's words were manipulated by the OP to arrive at an alarming thread title that fits his agenda.

Black Americans can call themselves whatever they like. I'm not sure why African American is the preferred term though, since as a child of African immigrants, I don't see much African in them or their culture.
I look in the mirror. That's all I need to know that I'm an African.

Old 09-02-2011, 07:50 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,537,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
I don't know if he really said that, but if he did, so what? What is so egregious about it? I agree with him anyway. "African American" is just a term that evolved as a poor attempt to disassociate from previous terms that had developed negative connotations. In time, "African American" will have to be replaced too. As for "colored," give me a break. THERE IS NO DIFFERENCE in meaning between "colored" and "people of color," the latter being used regularly by blacks.

So let me understand this. You agree with Beck that Blacks should be called Colored, but disagree with Blacks that CHOOSE to be called African American? Wow

Old 09-02-2011, 07:52 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,080,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
So let me understand this. You agree with Beck that Blacks should be called Colored, but disagree with Blacks that CHOOSE to be called African American? Wow
So, let me understand this. You have no idea what Beck was saying, so you are making false claims and showing your blind hatred? Wow

Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 AM

3,078 posts, read 4,375,581 times
I checked the NAACP website. They claim to be an advocacy group for all minorities, hence that explains not changing the name to NAABP. It seems that the NAACP uses the term "colored" for anyone who is not white.

So I'll shut up about the NAACP now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies