Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 07:56 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrugalYankee View Post
I checked the NAACP website. They claim to be an advocacy group for all minorities, hence that explains not changing the name to NAABP. It seems that the NAACP uses the term "colored" for anyone who is not white.

So I'll shut up about the NAACP now.
RIght. If they changed their name, it would have to be to something like "NAAPOC" for "National Association for the Advancement of People of Color" which does kind of seem like a mouthful. My guess is that they figured NAAPOC would not have the same ring to it, both in full and as an acronym, as NAACP. I tried to find articles online that addressed the issue but couldn't find any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 08:01 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawkins74 View Post
So, let me understand this. You have no idea what Beck was saying, so you are making false claims and showing your blind hatred? Wow

how is that showing blind hatred? shouldn't black people be able to choose what they'd like to be called (black, AA) as opposed to a term they do not prefer (colored)?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:04 AM

3,382 posts, read 4,082,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
how is that showing blind hatred? shouldn't black people be able to choose what they'd like to be called (black, AA) as opposed to a term they do not prefer (colored)?
It is showing blind hatred, because Beck did not advocate for blacks to be called colored. Because of the blind hatred, they refuse to actually listen or read and see what was actually said. Instead, they want to go off on a rant about something that was not said.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:05 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
So, let me understand this. You have no idea what Beck was saying, so you are making false claims and showing your blind hatred? Wow

The poster stated he/she saw nothing wrong with it. My queston was a valid one. If someone CHOOSE to call themself one thing, who has the right to label them something else? Stop with the hate crap, I could care less about Beck one way or the other. I choose not to dictate to others how they should and should not identify themselves. If you have hate for those who believe differently than you, that would be a problem you need to resolve within yourself.

Why the focus on what Blacks call themselves when you have Italian-Americans and Asian-American's who were born here in America?

Old 09-02-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
The poster stated he/she saw nothing wrong with it. My queston was a valid one. If someone CHOOSE to call themself one thing, who has the right to label them something else? Stop with the hate crap, I could care less about Beck one way or the other. I choose not to dictate to others how they should and should not identify themselves. If you have hate for those who believe differently than you, that would be a problem you need to resolve within yourself.

Why the focus on what Blacks call themselves when you have Italian-Americans and Asian-American's who were born here in America?
Why, would I focus on what Blacks call themselves.. because I care about my family. Why? because my family don't like it when people tell us we have to be called African American.

And again, beck did not advocate calling anyone colored.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post

I don't get the blind hatred either. My response was to Chatty who chimed in acknowledging that he/she wasn't sure if it was said, but if it was, they didn't see a problem with it. If posters on here find it difficult to have adult discussions without claiming hatred, maybe they shouldn't say anything. Everyone has an a right to their opinion.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
I don't get the blind hatred either. My response was to Chatty who chimed in acknowledging that he/she wasn't sure if it was said, but if it was, they didn't see a problem with it. If posters on here find it difficult to have adult discussions without claiming hatred, maybe they shouldn't say anything. Everyone has an a right to their opinion.
But what Beck said is not a matter of opinion.. that is the problem

Old 09-02-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Why, would I focus on what Blacks call themselves.. because I care about my family. Why? because my family don't like it when people tell us we have to be called African American.

And again, beck did not advocate calling anyone colored.

Did I say YOU in general. I'm trying to understand why are you being combative about a simple discussion. Again, I could care less what you or your family call yourselves, it is YOUR RIGHT. But I don't understand all of this focus on Blacks who call themselves African Americans but none of the same verbiage and venom is directed towards those that call themselves Asian, Italian, Jewish Americans? And again, my response was to Chatty post

Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM

Quote:
But what Beck said is not a matter of opinion.. that is the problem

That is a matter of Opinion. Has this country gone so far back into the past that one can dictate how someone identify themselves or choose to live. I thought this was 2011 and not 1811.

Old 09-02-2011, 08:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,468,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
why is 'people of color' not then equally offensive?

seems odd.
It's up to the Black community to decide what's offensive and what's not. I realize that not every Black person has the exact same opinion, but if 9 out of 10 Black people find the term "people of color" offensive, then that term is offensive. In my experience, most Black people I meet find the term "colored" offensive and don't find the term "people of color" offensive. So I use the term "people of color" and avoid the term "colored".

If I meet a Black individual who happens to find "African-American" offensive and prefers the term "Black", then I will use "Black" and not "African-American" when I'm talking to them--even though most Black people I know don't find the word "African-American" offensive. I respect that individual's preference.

People ask me what I prefer to call myself--"blind" or "visually impaired" or "non-sighted" etc. and so I try to offer the same respect to Black people by letting them decide what they want to be called. It's about basic courtesy and respect.

As a general rule I call people of African descent within the U.S. "Black" because that's what I hear most of them referring to themselves as when talking to me, so I emulate the same language. If 20 years from now that term becomes offensive and a new term is favored, then I will use that term instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies