Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 04:37 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,287 times

Advertisements

news media getting big ratings around this time.

meanwhile, volunteer search and rescue people are dying without medical care.

god bless America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2011, 04:43 PM

14,020 posts, read 15,001,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Here's what I can do without:

1. 4,474 dead US servicemen in Iraq.

2. 1,752 dead US servicemen in Afghanistan.

3. Total cost of Iraq and Afghanistan wars since 2001 is somewhere between $3 to $5 TRILLION dollars.

4. Spending for Homeland Security and Defense Departments in 2010 alone was over $800 BILLION.

5. The Patriot Act. One of the most authoritarian/anti-democratic laws ever enacted in US history. Not to mention...very unconstitutional.

6. Thousands of suicides by members of the military service since 2001.

7. Stop-Loss. US military enlistment message can be quoted by Don Henley: "You check-in whenever you like but you can never leave".

8. Code Orange. Code Red.

9. Getting constantly mind-f#cked by the corporate media and politicians about the "terrorist threat" from Muslims.

10. The 2001-2009 was the first decade in recent memory when the United States had a net loss job growth.

11. Rendition. Torture. Secret Prisons. Some innocent people got snared in those evil programs.

12. George W. Bush. Dick Cheney. Colin Powell. Donald Rumsfeld. Condoleeza Rice. All should be tried for war crimes in The Hague but they are still free.

13. Pre-2001: the United States had high public approval ratings across the globe. After-2001: The United States has become the most hated nation on the planet.

14. Flying while Muslim. Driving while Muslim. Breathing while Muslim. It's America, baby.

15. When Clinton left office in January 2001, the US had a federal government budget surplus. By the end of 2009, thanks to Bush 2 and Obama, the US has worst budget deficit in history.

16. By the way, how did those Bush tax cuts work out since 2001?

17. Contractors getting rich off military and homeland security spending while more middle-class people in this country slip into poverty and more homeless people fill up our parks and streets.

18. The Great WMD Lie as an excuse to invade a sovereign country and topple a regime that had no involvement with the September 11 terror plot nor was the regime sympathetic to Al Qaeda.

19. Stupid American people who fell for this BS pumped by the media and our politicians.

20. This country was in much better shape economically, politically, culturally and spiritually on September 10, 2001.

If you love WAR.
If you hate people of other religions and nationalities.
If you want the state to smash our civil liberties.
If you want to feed the National Security beast while starving our needs for job training, primary education, health care, safe neighborhoods.

Then, September 11, 2001 and years following was the best time to be an American.

This is a good list for starters.
#5 no, the Patroit act follows the same "prabable cause" as the police, Ex. a store reports a person bought fetilizer, sulfer Dioxide, phosphorus ect. then they investagate

#9 do you know how many terror attacts were stopped after 9/11, 100's

#11) they don't matter in respect to the US Constitution due to the lack of citizenship.
#15) false.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:02 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,749,537 times
I think the bystanders who witnessed people jumping from the buildings, will remember on 9/11.

I bet they wish they could forget what they saw, but its likely a permanent image in their mind.

I bet the mother of the son, who fought with the hijackers on flight 93, will be thinking about her son, as she begged him to fight for his life, on the doomed plane.

I don't think you can take a world altering event like that on 9/11, which forever changed how we felt about our safety here, and just put it behind you, not if someone you knew was in that building or on one of those planes.

So, for some, it's likely already forgotten....

But for some, it's a reminder of everyday, that your dad is no longer here, your mom, or your wife....because they were killed by some crazed, low IQ terrorists, who were convinced they would fly into Martyrdom...

Not so easy to dismiss away....

Old 09-08-2011, 05:13 PM

995 posts, read 1,115,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Although I do not share it, I understand the need of some people to memorialize and dwell on tragedy and defeat. For those old enough to remember when the whole "yellow ribbon" thing developed, the Iran hostage crisis presided over so shamefully by Jimmy Carter was the first of these collective, often maudlin affairs.

We all know what happened on 9/11 and, frankly, how ill-prepared and helpless we were in the face of such evil. So --- why spend so much effort wallowing in how bad bad people are and how senseless senselessness is?

Personally, I would prefer that we memorialize our ability to strike back and punish those who attack our country. How about a "We Finally Got Osama Bin Laden -- Right Between the Eyes" Day?
How about just a simple gesture of respect to the thousands of innocent people who were killed? I think it's not such a terrible obligation to honor them and those who lost someone.

I did not party when Osama bin Laden was killed, I had a sense of relief that he would no longer be able to commit crimes against humanity.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:15 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbliss View Post
Here's what I can do without:

1. 4,474 dead US servicemen in Iraq.

2. 1,752 dead US servicemen in Afghanistan.

3. Total cost of Iraq and Afghanistan wars since 2001 is somewhere between $3 to $5 TRILLION dollars.

4. Spending for Homeland Security and Defense Departments in 2010 alone was over $800 BILLION.

5. The Patriot Act. One of the most authoritarian/anti-democratic laws ever enacted in US history. Not to mention...very unconstitutional.

6. Thousands of suicides by members of the military service since 2001.

7. Stop-Loss. US military enlistment message can be quoted by Don Henley: "You check-in whenever you like but you can never leave".

8. Code Orange. Code Red.

9. Getting constantly mind-f#cked by the corporate media and politicians about the "terrorist threat" from Muslims.

10. The 2001-2009 was the first decade in recent memory when the United States had a net loss job growth.

11. Rendition. Torture. Secret Prisons. Some innocent people got snared in those evil programs.

12. George W. Bush. Dick Cheney. Colin Powell. Donald Rumsfeld. Condoleeza Rice. All should be tried for war crimes in The Hague but they are still free.

13. Pre-2001: the United States had high public approval ratings across the globe. After-2001: The United States has become the most hated nation on the planet.

14. Flying while Muslim. Driving while Muslim. Breathing while Muslim. It's America, baby.

15. When Clinton left office in January 2001, the US had a federal government budget surplus. By the end of 2009, thanks to Bush 2 and Obama, the US has worst budget deficit in history.

16. By the way, how did those Bush tax cuts work out since 2001?

17. Contractors getting rich off military and homeland security spending while more middle-class people in this country slip into poverty and more homeless people fill up our parks and streets.

18. The Great WMD Lie as an excuse to invade a sovereign country and topple a regime that had no involvement with the September 11 terror plot nor was the regime sympathetic to Al Qaeda.

19. Stupid American people who fell for this BS pumped by the media and our politicians.

20. This country was in much better shape economically, politically, culturally and spiritually on September 10, 2001.

If you love WAR.
If you hate people of other religions and nationalities.
If you want the state to smash our civil liberties.
If you want to feed the National Security beast while starving our needs for job training, primary education, health care, safe neighborhoods.

Then, September 11, 2001 and years following was the best time to be an American.

This is a good list for starters.
Add Obama to Number 12. Or you`re among the willfully blind partisan army.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

37,131 posts, read 42,196,846 times
No, anniversaries of "events" wear on me. It's not that I don't care and not that I didn't mourn but I don't get the memorials year after year. Time does have a way of whittling away at this sort of stuff, and I assume there are still remembrances for Pearl Harbor but you don't get round the clock coverage of it. Somthing else will come and take it's place unfortunately...

Long ago there was a crime committed in my area (Chowchilla bus kidnapping) and there was always an anniversary update of the victims, and they got really sick of it.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:18 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneWest View Post
How about just a simple gesture of respect to the thousands of innocent people who were killed? I think it's not such a terrible obligation to honor them and those who lost someone.

I did not party when Osama bin Laden was killed, I had a sense of relief that he would no longer be able to commit crimes against humanity.
You are 100% correct. But the current tsunami of breast-beating, memorializing, speechifying, souvenir-selling, and the tug-of-war among our politicians and their lackeys on this forum over who is more patriotic, do not constitute "a simple gesture." Quite the opposite, in fact. Hence my posts, with which I suspect many here agree.

Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM

7,183 posts, read 4,764,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Frankly, the day is irrevocably etched into my mind and heart, and I would rather not relive the trauma all over again. As I rapidly approach my 60th year, I just feel that I've experienced more than my share of American tragedies non of which require a weeks worth of 24/7 media on steroids reminders.

Just as an example, I was in DC for a couple of meetings and made the "mistake" of driving along the National Mall, past the MLK memorial, the Vietnam Memorial before making a wrong turn and finding myself in front of the Arlington Cemetery where I foolishly decided to go up to the Tomb of the Unknown, which of course required me to pass the the rows of military dead and the JFK gravesite. PTSD just won't allow me to handle much more.

No, you are not.

My TV has been placed in the OFF mode quite a bit lately.

The day they release all those classified documents that the 9/11 commission handled, then I'll revisit that dreadful day. In the meantime, I'll just ignore the media.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:27 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
Yes let's forget everything that isn't pleasant to remember.
How in the hell could anyone forget? That is precisely the point, maybe kids up to the age of 14 might need to be made aware of the events of that day but unless you are some kind of Rip Van Winkle with alzeheimer's I don't know how one goes about erasing the event from one's consciousness.

As for the critics who wish have stated that my comments are of a selfish nature, well that is a fact. I make no bones or excuses about it, I don't need a 24/7 replay of the day (as if the replays that week weren't enough). I've just seen to much ridiculous violence for one life time, I don't need the instant replay.

Old 09-08-2011, 07:33 PM

26,212 posts, read 19,513,424 times
The 10th anniversary will not be used to learn anything, it won't be used to teach anyone anything, it will be cynically manipulated for excusing the incessant drumbeat of war, torture, and occupation that this tragic attack spawned.

I'll remember the victims that day, and all those victims who would follow over the next 10 years. My patriotism I checked at the door around 8 years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies