Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 01:18 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Apparently that is what his employer decided he was worth. So how does this affect your life?
TRY just for a brief second to understand that if more of a corporations profits went to the average workers instead of the UNnecessarily bloated pay of executives those workers would have more money to spend on the product that the company makes which makes the company more money. Those workers also have more money to spend on other things that other people make and then the economy gets better.

When most of the money goes to a few individuals it isn't aiding the health of the economy.

Thinking that someone who wears a suit and sits behind a desk is totally responsible for the profits is ridiculous.

As the executives of EXXON, Halliburton and that other criminal company that were at fault for last year's oil spill said, they weren't responsible. So if they're not responsible for such an enormous error and loss why are they solely "responsible" for a company's profits??

Trust me , these slobs will probably get raises as average southern Americans go under from their loss.

Makes YOU happy, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2011, 01:40 PM

29,981 posts, read 42,965,286 times
Quote:
Clearly not. Sarbanes Oxley has eliminated that possibility.
Come on now, you just know that accounting "gimmicks" will be used as the excuse to extract the Obama administration from this Solyndra (Obama donor payback) debacle.

As to CEO compensation, it will exist as long as stockholders allow the BoD to vote their own salaries & benefits. I'm more concerned about Congress voting their own pay raises and benefits than I am a corporation to which I may not be a stockholder. I always vote against "golden parachute" clauses on the stockholder's ballot, but it is largely an exercise in futility.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:25 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I have the exact opposite opinion on unions, however I respect your opinion on the matter.

Just a question though, you don't feel more of an "ownership" and right to have some sort of say when one is funded by your tax dollars, and the other is funded by private enterprise? I mean even as a strong union supporter, I'd have to assume that if wherever you live, the local [pick your favorite union] was fighting for a 35% wage increase that would cause a significant increase in taxes, and budget problems, you would have issue with that, no?
Yea, i do feel more of an ownership. If they were asking for a 35% wage increase, that would seem to be a bit ridiculous. However, i'd have to investigate as to the last time they had a raise, how much they make in the first place, and how hard they work. I'm not going to reject it out of hand just because they're a public sector union and i pay their salary.

I'm not someone who thinks the public sector employees should be poor. I know a lot of folks feel that way, but that's not my style. They're on my team (and this stuff is very much a competitive game and everyone is on a team whether they like it or not). My team is Team Workingstiff. The regular Joe. The guy who takes a shower AFTER work. If giving them an increase means my taxes go up, then so be it so long as it's justified. I do ok...i can afford it so long as it's reasonable. I don't expect something for nothing....or in this case, a good municipal staff for chump change.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:36 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,028,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Yea, i do feel more of an ownership. If they were asking for a 35% wage increase, that would seem to be a bit ridiculous. However, i'd have to investigate as to the last time they had a raise, how much they make in the first place, and how hard they work. I'm not going to reject it out of hand just because they're a public sector union and i pay their salary.

I'm not someone who thinks the public sector employees should be poor. I know a lot of folks feel that way, but that's not my style. They're on my team (and this stuff is very much a competitive game and everyone is on a team whether they like it or not). My team is Team Workingstiff. The regular Joe. The guy who takes a shower AFTER work. If giving them an increase means my taxes go up, then so be it so long as it's justified. I do ok...i can afford it so long as it's reasonable. I don't expect something for nothing....or in this case, a good municipal staff for chump change.
States are 1 trillion in debt because of unions. I guess you won't mind your taxes being raised to meet that deficit? Well this was from '08. I'm sure it's more now....

The Trillion Dollar Gap - The Pew Center on the States

Old 09-15-2011, 03:40 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,768,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
TRY just for a brief second to understand that if more of a corporations profits went to the average workers instead of the UNnecessarily bloated pay of executives those workers would have more money to spend on the product that the company makes which makes the company more money. Those workers also have more money to spend on other things that other people make and then the economy gets better.

When most of the money goes to a few individuals it isn't aiding the health of the economy.

Thinking that someone who wears a suit and sits behind a desk is totally responsible for the profits is ridiculous.

As the executives of EXXON, Halliburton and that other criminal company that were at fault for last year's oil spill said, they weren't responsible. So if they're not responsible for such an enormous error and loss why are they solely "responsible" for a company's profits??

Trust me , these slobs will probably get raises as average southern Americans go under from their loss.

Makes YOU happy, right?
LOL, first off, corporate profits are theirs not yours. It isn't their responsibility to make the economy better. It is their responsibility to return shareholder value.

Corporations are free to choose how much or how little to pay their exectives. It is their estimation of the CEO's value that counts, not yours. Unless of course you are a shareholder, then make your voice heard.

From a real world perspective CEO compensation doesn't impact workers compensation. If a CEO makes less it doesn't make the value of a given worker any more. For example, the average salary of a pharmacist is about 100k. Suppose the CEO of Rite Aid had a 90% pay cut tomorrow, do you believe the average pay of a pharmacist would go up? The answer is nope.

Your attermpted indictment of oil companies was a muddled mess, perhaps you would like to try again?

Old 09-15-2011, 04:20 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,241,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
States are 1 trillion in debt because of unions. I guess you won't mind your taxes being raised to meet that deficit? Well this was from '08. I'm sure it's more now....

The Trillion Dollar Gap - The Pew Center on the States
Why not? How many trillions have we dropped on the wars...and i damn sure don't wanna pay taxes for THAT!!

Old 09-15-2011, 04:32 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,989,154 times
Quote:
OK, thats exactly what I was trying to get at...was just curious if there was a line that you would draw somewhere.

Quote:
They're on my team (and this stuff is very much a competitive game and everyone is on a team whether they like it or not). My team is Team Workingstiff. The regular Joe. The guy who takes a shower AFTER work. If giving them an increase means my taxes go up, then so be it so long as it's justified. I do ok...i can afford it so long as it's reasonable. I don't expect something for nothing....or in this case, a good municipal staff for chump change.
Now this is the stuff that bothers me about the whole union mindset. Somehow because I sit at a desk and work, and others do physical work, my efforts and input into the economy are somehow minimized over the simple fact that someone broke a sweat. As long as you and I go to work and give 100% each day to do what we are paid to do, I personally don't see how we are on a "different team."

Old 09-15-2011, 05:15 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,167,184 times
Quote:
LOL, first off, corporate profits are theirs not yours. It isn't their responsibility to make the economy better."""

I never said it was....who are you arguing with????

"""" It is their responsibility to return shareholder value.

Corporations are free to choose how much or how little to pay their exectives. It is their estimation of the CEO's value that counts, not yours."""

OOOHHHH Brilliant insight!!

""" Unless of course you are a shareholder, then make your voice heard.

From a real world perspective CEO compensation doesn't impact workers compensation."""

It could....the profits could be spread around a little more fairly...

"""If a CEO makes less it doesn't make the value of a given worker any more.""""

Then why has the average workers wages gone down or stagnated? Has their value gone down......that bloated CEO still needs workers to make his product which must have lots of value because the CEO makes so much....

"""" For example, the average salary of a pharmacist is about 100k. Suppose the CEO of Rite Aid had a 90% pay cut tomorrow, do you believe the average pay of a pharmacist would go up? The answer is nope.

Your attermpted indictment of oil companies was a muddled mess, perhaps you would like to try again?
Your lack of comprehansion may be the cause of "muddled mess".....

Old 09-15-2011, 05:59 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,134,380 times
Quote:
Or, your inability to spell "comprehension" may be a symptom of the root cause of the "muddled mess."

Old 09-15-2011, 07:03 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,768,423 times
Quote:

LOL, quite the learned response!

Of course workers value has stagnated or gone down, becauser his wages reflect this reality. A good explanation may be the glut of workers courtesy of Mr. Obama.

Huh? In one breath you imply it is self evident that corporations can do what they wish with their profits, and in the next you state " profits could be spread around more fairly". You do realize that wages are not a result of profits right? Or do you think they should be? So workers would sahae in the loses too?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies