Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,872,403 times

Advertisements

A parent who believes that their child has autism solely because that child was protected against dangerous and infectious illness is not a disinterested observer. Wanting to sue the phamaceutical companies because of your wrong beliefs makes you even less of a disinterested observer. Worse, it makes you a public health menace with a deranged agenda.

Fifty years ago people swore "refrigerator mothers" were responsible for autism. The vaccines cause autism ideology is even dumber because discouraging vaccination has serious public health consequences.

Old 11-01-2011, 12:18 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,324,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
What bizarre statements. How does this post advance the discussion, pray tell?
It takes it beyond the level of the mercuryheads.

You probably keep a mouthful of mercury in your head at all times.

Amalgamated insanity, that's what!

Old 11-01-2011, 12:29 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
Quote:
But there is no biological reason to space them out. The timing recommendations are designed to provide the greatest protection. Waiting just opens a longer window to catch an infection.
The timing recommendations are just what we've been doing so we keep doing it. If anyone is reacting to "too much, too soon" then spacing things out not only won't hurt but it may help. We time things based on our calendar for convenience, that's pretty much it. I'm not saying the current schedule is bad, but I also don't know if anyone is bothering to do research to see if there is something better. We can't be compliant with things like this, it does need to be looked at and tweaked ALL THE TIME.

Recently my veterinarian told me my cat's don't actually need certain vaccines every year anymore. Turns out the antibodies stay active much much longer than they realized. And she talkes a lot about vaccine reactions and how too much can cause problems. Huh....and that's just my cat.

Old 11-01-2011, 03:42 PM

1,147 posts, read 909,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
The timing recommendations are just what we've been doing so we keep doing it. If anyone is reacting to "too much, too soon" then spacing things out not only won't hurt but it may help. We time things based on our calendar for convenience, that's pretty much it. I'm not saying the current schedule is bad, but I also don't know if anyone is bothering to do research to see if there is something better. We can't be compliant with things like this, it does need to be looked at and tweaked ALL THE TIME.

Recently my veterinarian told me my cat's don't actually need certain vaccines every year anymore. Turns out the antibodies stay active much much longer than they realized. And she talkes a lot about vaccine reactions and how too much can cause problems. Huh....and that's just my cat.
It's called a titers test. Doctors have the ability to test for antibodies to determine whether or not a booster shot is warranted.

Almost none of them do it, and nobody asks why. It's scary.

There should be no such thing as a one size fits all approach to medicine. The practice should be outlawed, because in effect it's malpractice. For crying out loud, we recommend OTC meds by AGE. AGE, as if a 300 pound man and a 100 pound woman, both 30 years of age, will require the same dosage.

What people are willing to accept as fact from our medical community is just plain frightening. It's as if common sense has completely left the building.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:15 PM

37,109 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Had2SaySumthin View Post
It's called a titers test. Doctors have the ability to test for antibodies to determine whether or not a booster shot is warranted.

Almost none of them do it, and nobody asks why. It's scary.

There should be no such thing as a one size fits all approach to medicine. The practice should be outlawed, because in effect it's malpractice. For crying out loud, we recommend OTC meds by AGE. AGE, as if a 300 pound man and a 100 pound woman, both 30 years of age, will require the same dosage.

What people are willing to accept as fact from our medical community is just plain frightening. It's as if common sense has completely left the building.
Actually doctors do antibody titers. Every pregnant woman has a titer for rubella drawn as part of the initial prenatal lab work. Why? So she can be offered the vaccine if she is found to lack immunity to rubella. Why? To protect her from getting rubella in a later pregnancy, since it can cause devastating birth defects.

Many gynecologists will do it if a patient comes in for a premarital exam. Why? To offer the vaccine before she gets pregnant if she is not immune.

Testing for immunity to chickenpox is also common.

The titers are done in order to offer the vaccine.

Why not do titers for tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough, and the other diseases for which we vaccinate before giving boosters? Because the blood tests cost a whole lot more than a booster dose of vaccine and the safety of giving the booster without doing a titer is well established.

The reason medications are often dosed based on age, not weight, is because by the time a person reaches adult weight, the maximum dose of the medication is reached. If the dose is critical, such as with certain seizure medications, then blood levels of the drug can be measured.

And, yes, the dose of ibuprofen is the same for adults, no matter how much they weigh. It is based on the pharmacology of the drug. No "malpractice" involved.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post

No, the timing recommendations of childhood vaccines are based on the level of risk for the illnesses we are trying to prevent. The plan is to get our children protected at as early an age as possible. Giving the vaccines at specified intervals does have a convenience factor, but that is to increase the chance that the child receives all the vaccines.

"Too much, too soon" is a myth. Our kids are bombarded daily with many more antigens from viruses and bacteria than are found in all the combined injections of all the childhood vaccines.

That being said, the infectious disease experts do monitor titers in study populations to make sure that the intervals for boosters do not need to be "tweaked." If they find that immunity wanes sooner than would be predicted, then they may recommend additional boosters.

Such monitoring is being done with the HPV vaccines. That monitoring well tell us eventually whether boosters are needed or not.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Actually doctors do antibody titers. Every pregnant woman has a titer for rubella drawn as part of the initial prenatal lab work. Why? So she can be offered the vaccine if she is found to lack immunity to rubella. Why? To protect her from getting rubella in a later pregnancy, since it can cause devastating birth defects.

Many gynecologists will do it if a patient comes in for a premarital exam. Why? To offer the vaccine before she gets pregnant if she is not immune.

Testing for immunity to chickenpox is also common.

The titers are done in order to offer the vaccine.

Why not do titers for tetanus, diphtheria, whooping cough, and the other diseases for which we vaccinate before giving boosters? Because the blood tests cost a whole lot more than a booster dose of vaccine and the safety of giving the booster without doing a titer is well established.

The reason medications are often dosed based on age, not weight, is because by the time a person reaches adult weight, the maximum dose of the medication is reached. If the dose is critical, such as with certain seizure medications, then blood levels of the drug can be measured.

And, yes, the dose of ibuprofen is the same for adults, no matter how much they weigh. It is based on the pharmacology of the drug. No "malpractice" involved.
I'm talking about for childhood vaccines. They never do it. The most fragile and vulnerable group never gets it.

...and do me a favor, stop responding to me. The TOS prevents me from telling you what I truly think of your supposed knowledge and experience, but I wouldn't let you anywhere near my child, or anyone else in my life.

You personify what is wrong with the medical community.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:46 PM

Quote:
I'm talking about for childhood vaccines. They never do it. The most fragile and vulnerable group never gets it.

...and do me a favor, stop responding to me. The TOS prevents me from telling you what I truly think of your supposed knowledge and experience, but I wouldn't let you anywhere near my child, or anyone else in my life.

You personify what is wrong with the medical community.
I have just as much right to post here as you do, and I feel an obligation to rebut the misinformation in your posts.

Doing titers in every child for every vaccine is not indicated. There is no reason to do it.

Old 11-01-2011, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I have just as much right to post here as you do, and I feel an obligation to rebut the misinformation in your posts.

Doing titers in every child for every vaccine is not indicated. There is no reason to do it.
There is no misinformation coming from this ID, and yes, you do have the right to post whatever you like. However, please stop addressing me. You make me nauseous. Your professional ignorance knows no bounds, and your intellectual curiosity is non-existent. You're a disgrace to your profession, and I'd rather not speak to you.

I'm sure on a personal level you're a very nice person, because I do believe that most people are basically good. When you decide to be a human being, and start thinking objectively, then we can talk. Until then, since you obviously wish to play the part of the industry professional, I will continue to request that you don't address me, and will attack your qualifications and credentials when you do.

In short, go away and get a new job for the good of all man kind.

Old 11-01-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
There is no misinformation coming from this ID, and yes, you do have the right to post whatever you like. However, please stop addressing me. You make me nauseous. Your professional ignorance knows no bounds, and your intellectual curiosity is non-existent. You're a disgrace to your profession, and I'd rather not speak to you.

I'm sure on a personal level you're a very nice person, because I do believe that most people are basically good. When you decide to be a human being, and start thinking objectively, then we can talk. Until then, since you obviously wish to play the part of the industry professional, I will continue to request that you don't address me, and will attack your qualifications and credentials when you do.

In short, go away and get a new job for the good of all man kind.
Hey, I'm retired! My only "job" is as my husband's (poorly paid) office manager.

I set my own hours, so that gives me plenty of time to post on C-D.

That also means I am not going away. If you say something I believe is not true, I will challenge it.

If you have evidence to challenge something I say, please provide it. That is the purpose of this forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies