Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 03:31 PM

39,877 posts, read 26,514,597 times

Advertisements

Grizzly bear kills hunter in Boundary County - Spokesman.com - Sept. 16, 2011

Quote:
A grizzly bear killed a hunter in Boundary County today before another hunter fatally shot the bear.

Officials from the Boundary County Sheriff’s Office, Idaho Fish and Game and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service are at the scene of the attack, which occurred about 10 a.m. in the remote area of Buckhorn Mountain near the Montana border.

The hunter who was killed is not a resident of Boundary County, officials said.
The victim’s name is being withheld pending family notification. The hunter’s partner shot and killed the attacking grizzly, officials said.

Several rifle hunting seasons are open in the Boundary County region, including black bear, mountain lion, wolf and controlled hunts for moose and deer.
This happened a few miles from where the grizzly shooting took place a few months ago, where a man shot a grizzly to protect his kids in the back yard. That man was charged by the feds with killing an endangered species.

I wonder if the federal fish and wildlife agency will prosecute the person that shot this one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2011, 03:55 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
This sounds like a completely different situation. The bear in this story was already attacking. The bear on that man's property nearby wasn't showing any signs of aggression, and in fact wasn't even paying attention to him or his family.

What bugs me the most about when these bears are killed is that the people aren't even allowed to eat them. They go to the authorities, for some reason. At least put them to some use, if they must be killed.

P.S. what a horribly written article. "Jeremy Hill, 33, was charged with a federal crime, but it was dropped last week and he payed a $1,000 fine for a noncriminal infraction." Payed? Really? I might have to go look this up on a more credible news source.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
This sounds like a completely different situation. The bear in this story was already attacking. The bear on that man's property nearby wasn't showing any signs of aggression, and in fact wasn't even paying attention to him or his family.

What bugs me the most about when these bears are killed is that the people aren't even allowed to eat them. They go to the authorities, for some reason. At least put them to some use, if they must be killed.

P.S. what a horribly written article. "Jeremy Hill, 33, was charged with a federal crime, but it was dropped last week and he payed a $1,000 fine for a noncriminal infraction." Payed? Really? I might have to go look this up on a more credible news source.
I agree on several counts. Especially the need for a credible news source. This is the Spokane paper; our smaller ones in North Idaho are a bit worse. We're talking journalists...what more can be said?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:11 PM

3,115 posts, read 7,136,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I agree on several counts. Especially the need for a credible news source. This is the Spokane paper; our smaller ones in North Idaho are a bit worse. We're talking journalists...what more can be said?
Lol - so true. I found another article but it was the same thing, w/o the misspelling. It's too bad the hunter was killed. I'm sure his friend is beside himself.

Since you live in the area, and I think you mentioned before you were outdoorsy, do you think hunters are more likely to be attacked by a grizzly b/c they are trying to be quiet while hunting, rather than making noise so the bears aren't startled?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalgirl View Post
Lol - so true. I found another article but it was the same thing, w/o the misspelling. It's too bad the hunter was killed. I'm sure his friend is beside himself.

Since you live in the area, and I think you mentioned before you were outdoorsy, do you think hunters are more likely to be attacked by a grizzly b/c they are trying to be quiet while hunting, rather than making noise so the bears aren't startled?
That's a good question. I have never seen a grizzly while hunting (archery...), but have seen scat a number of times. We have coyote, black bear and mountain lion around our place, but no griz. They tend to be a few miles further north.

I question if the hunters were being quiet and came up on the bear, suprising it...or if the bear smelled them and was hunting them. It has been a terrible year for the berry crop in the area. The winter was a record long one, with snow in the high country nearly 2 months later than normal. Then once summer hit, it was very dry. I know black bear have been hanging out lower (closer to residential areas) than normal, not sure about griz. I know the huckleberry crop (one of bears main foods) was very late, and I heard it was very small as well. I also wonder if the hunter had a rifle or bow.

I can't imagine what that guy's friend is feeling. Even afterwords...(most likely) miles in the woods. Do you leave your friend's body to go get help...knowing that there are scavengers (including other bears) about? Let alone telling his family.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 09-16-2011 at 04:58 PM..

Old 09-16-2011, 04:42 PM

85 posts, read 179,321 times
Why is this in P&C?

Old 09-16-2011, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyBottoms View Post
Why is this in P&C?
Primarily due to the controversy over the shooting of an endangered species.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:47 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,933,771 times
It happens. You go into bear territory, bears might attack. It's a risk that is knowingly taken.

Old 09-16-2011, 04:51 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Yes this could be in either the Guns/Hunting forum or here. I guess we will know soon enough if we are teleported.

That is definitely a chance you take hunting in Grizzly territory.

Most hunters like to Romanticize about hunting in the olden days, dreaming about hunting with Hemingway. Well guess what? be careful what you ask for you might get it.

There is a reason people hunted dangerous game Africa before it became like shooting fish in a barrel. Always a chance you could die.

Old 09-16-2011, 05:01 PM

There has been alot of talk about removing griz in the lower 48 from the ESL. North Idaho and Western Montana have sizeable and growing populations, and they are loosing their fear of humans. A very limited hunting season might reinstill that fear and ultimately save both bears and humans.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 09-16-2011 at 05:16 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies