Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 08:24 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,217,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So you want businesses to disappear?

Brilliant. We need more of your type in this nation for sure.
Let the business go under, that way all the union workers are dismissed. The business then does a bankruptcy reorg and hires non-union workers

Win-win situation.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 08:25 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,886,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
From the Market. If you are worth it you will get paid. Maybe you go off and do your own thing once Obama is out and some regulations are taken off the books.
Nothing much right with unions anymore. They IMO close businesses down.
I like that there would be no minimum wage. Unions started that BS to and since then there are lots of poor unemployable people that can't get a job because they are not worth the investment required by a minimum wage. Some people should start at a much lower wage to be trained how to work for a living. Many have trouble showing up every day for a job.
Once "some of the regulations" are off the books we'll probably all make less and work more.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:40 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,736,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
If anything use this strike to teach your kids to stay in school.
Unless you live in Tacoma, WA. Then your kids can't go to school because the teachers are striking- schools closed for the 5th day in a row.
A judge ordered the teachers to quit striking last Wed., but the teachers decided the laws and court orders don't apply to them. I mean, who can be expected to work 182 days a year for a mere $65,000 average salary?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
Putting up with brats for 182 days per year for 65 grand is asking a lot. How far does 65 k go in Tacoma anyway? Does it buy a 3 br house and a car less than 10 years old? Can you go on vacation all summer of do you have to take reqiuired by unpaid for course work to keep your job?

Old 09-19-2011, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Putting up with brats for 182 days per year for 65 grand is asking a lot. How far does 65 k go in Tacoma anyway? Does it buy a 3 br house and a car less than 10 years old? Can you go on vacation all summer of do you have to take reqiuired by unpaid for course work to keep your job?
Considering the average salary in Tacoma is $40,000, $65K must go pretty far. And those $40K workers work all year. And during this strike, those $40K workers are scrambling to find & pay for childcare.

Democratic lawmakers and other union members have called on them to quit striking, but the union is tone deaf.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:54 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,837,665 times
Schooling as daycare. No wonder we are creating dunces that shop at Walmart and believe Glenn Beck.

So haw many people in a house hold are required to afford the three bedroon house and ten year old car? One, two, three or more?.

OP =- Albertson's was going to close stores anyway as part of another union busting operation.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Schooling as daycare. No wonder we are creating dunces that shop at walmart and blieve Glenn Beck.
I didn't say school was daycare. But if you work and school is closed, then you do have to find daycare for younger children.

Although given Tacoma's poor test scores and 52% graduation rate, the teachers there may not be much better than daycare workers.

Old 09-19-2011, 09:01 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,337,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
I for one am fed up with being held hostage in this country by the so called "job creators!" They have done nothing except rob our county blind and are becoming the "slave creators!"
We have State liquor stores here in Montana.

When are we going to get a State grocery store?

Old 09-19-2011, 09:03 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,139,639 times
Quote:
How far does 65 k go in Tacoma anyway? Does it buy a 3 br house and a car less than 10 years old?
Tacoma has only a slightly higher cost of living than Las Vegas, which is substantially less than Los Angeles. In Las Vegas, one can certainly buy a house and "a car less than 10 years old" on that salary.

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

I never made that much working for someone else, and I never thought that I was underpaid, either. And my entire working life (working for someone else), I lived in the Los Angeles area, which has astronomical housing costs. Example: I was renting a one bedroom apartment in the L.A. area before moving to Las Vegas. When I moved, I was able to rent a three bedroom house that was only four years old and in a very good area - for less than I was paying for that 1br apartment.

So $65k in Tacoma is a decent salary, whether they have to attend those "unpaid" (which is bullcrap - they're paid in advance for that time, IF they have to do anything like that at all) summer classes or not.

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2011 at 03:57 AM..

Old 09-19-2011, 09:04 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,851,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
So you want businesses to disappear?

Brilliant. We need more of your type in this nation for sure.
In case you haven't noticed, these so called businesses are becoming funnels for enriching a few at the expense of many others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies