Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:00 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Matter for what?

For as long as they've been humans? But then, we may have non-humans pretending as Americans as well. I surely can't speak for them.

Prove it.

How do you know?

Including many who are now poor?

It doesn't takes balls, it takes money to take risks. Or, stupidity. And, to a lesser extent, a lot of luck. Now, why aren't you a multi-millionaire?
I haven't yet been inspired to start a business.

I do pretty well working for someone else right now, with no risk of my own.

I do, however, have investments which provide me some passive income. I started saving a little at a time when I could. When I had a decent bundle, I bought some property.

As my investments grow, I'll invest that income into something else.

Who knows?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 06:10 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
LOL, Where do you think the money is coming from to buy the billions of shares of stock sold on Wall Street every day?
From a few rich people and a lot of middle class people. But this does not address the question of what percentage of rich peoples' net worth is in risky investments compared to the middle class.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:39 PM

12,638 posts, read 8,959,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
According to the article:

I don't see what the problem is with what Obama said.

Furthermore, given how many tricks there are for rich people to reduce their AGI, it is stupid to use AGI as a measure of income.
You libs are funny.

No matter what the facts might be, you stick to your preprogrammed narrative.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:47 PM

4,081 posts, read 5,610,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just another biased "journalist"
This year, households making more than $1 million will pay an average of 29.1 percent of their income in federal taxes, including income taxes, payroll taxes and other taxes, according to the Tax Policy Center, a Washington think tank.
Households making between $50,000 and $75,000 will pay an average of 15 percent of their income in federal taxes.
See what he did there? Does the 15% include income taxes, payroll taxes and other taxes as well? Who knows. It's sloppy journalism on this point alone.

Old 09-20-2011, 06:57 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,453,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
So much for obama's garbage bile about the "rich" not paying their fair share.

But we knew all along he was lying. All one has to do is go to the IRS website and look at the numbers.

FACT CHECK: Are rich taxed less than secretaries? - Yahoo! News

That's got to hurt - when the media finally gets around to doing their job regarding obama's statements - they find he is not at all honest.
WOW! Obama needs to quit telling lies!

The 10 percent of households with the highest incomes pay more than half of all federal taxes. They pay more than 70 percent of federal income taxes, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:04 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,982,324 times
Quote:

But we knew all along he was lying. All one has to do is go to the IRS website and look at the numbers.

That's got to hurt - when the media finally gets around to doing their job regarding obama's statements - they find he is not at all honest.

It's the Inequality, Stupid | Mother Jones

Old 09-20-2011, 07:14 PM

37,224 posts, read 19,225,735 times
Quote:

I don't understand why anyone cares about the rich unless they are on their payroll.

The love is not returned, from what I can see. Since the wealth of the country is gradually moving into fewer and fewer hands, it stands to reason that the taxes should be raised on these people to pay the bills for the country that made it possible for them to become wealthy.

THere is not a lot of sympathy for the rich out in Middle America.

Old 09-20-2011, 07:16 PM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
WOW! Obama needs to quit telling lies!

The 10 percent of households with the highest incomes pay more than half of all federal taxes. They pay more than 70 percent of federal income taxes, according to the Congressional Budget Office.
Understand the difference between the amount of taxes paid and the percentage tax rate.

Capital gains (investment income) = 15%
Highest income tax bracket for working a job = 35%

Old 09-20-2011, 07:32 PM

45,585 posts, read 27,209,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Why is this discussion even taking place?
We live, for the time being, in the most productive society on earth, with a high standard of living.
We all think it is the best place on earth to live.
We should all want to do our part to insure the country remains strong and solvent.
What are we fighting about?
During WW2, folks did without all sorts of necessities without bitching.
Are we so afraid some mythical welfare queen is going to get some undeserved benefit that we are willing to allow this nation to go into the toilet?
We are all stomping pissants while the elephants are running wild. We better get a grip cause China sees us in free fall and is standing in the wings to take over.
The problem is the government spending and spending and spending and spending and spending.... when it has no money.

The problem is the government jacking around with the interest rates instead of the rates balance themselves.

The people in government and the media stoke the fires that cause us to be divided. Some people in government and unions and favored businesses have a monetary interest in dividing the people and having government run things - and this is both sides.

There are basics where there should be no arguments.
Government doesn't deficit spend.
Government doesn't jack with the interest rates.
Government should not be involved with any business operation except in insuring free commerce through basic regulations.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:04 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trace21230 View Post
You libs are funny.

No matter what the facts might be, you stick to your preprogrammed narrative.
Oh, please, no "libs" here have made this argument. Unlike some people, I know how to interpret facts for myself.

this is weak analysis, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies