Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 11:11 AM

3,457 posts, read 3,624,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
It goes without saying. If he says "millionaires and billionaires," does that mean ".5% of millionaires and billionaires" now?
Did he say anything about the average tax rate?

Quote:
This is just common sense.
My bad, I thought we were fact checking, not making sht up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 11:13 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,122,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvsteve View Post
In my opinion all forms of income should be treated equally by the government. It shouldn't matter if you make your money through a job or by living off of investments. We should not let professional investors pay lower taxes while requiring people with jobs to pay higher taxes.
Do you want them to continue investing? I think you do.

Tax rates are lower on those forms of income because as a society, we WANT people investing their money. If you'd rather they hold onto that money, then raise those rates all you want. I don't think you understand what the ramifications of that would be, though. Hint: If you think the unemployment rate is high right now...

Old 09-22-2011, 11:49 AM

2,213 posts, read 2,846,757 times
Quote:
Then where do you propose that businesses get investors if we are taxing investment at a high rate? Wanna see the economy get even worse? Let the stock market tank again, there will be a massive selloff if this goes through.
The same place we get workers even after taxing them at the current rates.

The argument "People won't invest unless they have a 15% tax rate" doesn't make sense. People work jobs even though they pay tax rates as high as 35%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger

Tax rates are lower on those forms of income because as a society, we WANT people investing their money.
Do you want people to continue working jobs? I think you do. Then why do we tax labor so highly?

Old 09-22-2011, 11:55 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,473,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

What are they going to do, stop investing and get a real job?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:06 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,412,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
What are they going to do, stop investing and get a real job?
A real job, like in a factory built by investors, or in a store or office built by investors, equipped by investors, with payrolls financed by investors? You mean that kind of job?

Old 09-22-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
A real job, like in a factory built by investors, or in a store or office built by investors, equipped by investors, with payrolls financed by investors? You mean that kind of job?
Workers and investors go hand in hand to make business happen. Neither one could do without the other. It makes no sense that our tax code is so lopsided in favor of the investors and against the workers.

Old 09-22-2011, 01:26 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,114,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cletus Awreetus-Awrightus View Post
Did he say anything about the average tax rate?
He made a general statement saying they pay less than the middle class, with teh example being Buffett and his secretary.

Quote:

My bad, I thought we were fact checking, not making sht up.
You believe millionaries and billionaires contribute to 401ks and IRAs?

Old 09-22-2011, 01:29 PM

Quote:
The same place we get workers even after taxing them at the current rates.

The argument "People won't invest unless they have a 15% tax rate" doesn't make sense. People work jobs even though they pay tax rates as high as 35%.

Do you want people to continue working jobs? I think you do. Then why do we tax labor so highly?
Apples and oranges

Old 09-22-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Apples and oranges
Sources of personal income and sources of personal income.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Sources of personal income and sources of personal income.
Arguably, the rich don't have to have any income, they have enough as it is, at least at that time period. They can pay their bills, they don't NEED to invest to have an income. The middle class NEEDS to work to pay their bills, they will work no matter what the tax rate is.

Also, those who work do not create jobs for others. Those who invest do. There are much larger ramifications for increasing the tax rate on those who invest versus those who simply work as far as job creation and economic prosperity.

Now do you see why it's apples and oranges?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies