Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2011, 11:46 AM

5,800 posts, read 6,569,957 times

Advertisements

WorkingClassHero----Thanks for posting those priceless tidibits for those of us who've known the truth for years, as well as for those who are gullible enough to believe anything coming from Barney Frank, Chuck Schumer, 'Kerosene' Maxine Waters (as talk show host Larry Elder described her) or 'Slick Willie' hmself has tried to foist on us to cover their own posteriors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2011, 11:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
It was nothing but a power grab attempt. Bush wanted to take F&F and place them under the White House and Treasury as opposed to the Congress. Other than that Bush fed the fire by lowering the lending standards some 40 times, particularly to low income minorities who did not qualify for loan.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:00 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Is home a property? Is property a right?
Tell me where homeless people go to exercise their right for a home?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:03 PM

23,989 posts, read 15,091,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Hmmmmmm, I think that a Democrat President Johnson and a Democrat Congress did the privatizing.

Some people just love to accuse Bush of privatizing everything he could. They went wild when he tried to get 4 or 5% of Social Security privatized and they just couldn't stop saying he wanted to do it all for the whole thing. Of course, they had to have something they could use to defeat his attempt.

My son, who was 25 at that time, was really excited to think that he would have control of some of his SS. Of course, he didn't think there would be any money for him at 65 the way thing were going.

This one has made me wonder if either party of Congress gives a damn about the people who elect them. They just spend all their time fighting each other. I guess that wasn't what the Dems were doing when they were the minority party in 2006. They managed to defeat anything to do with Freddie and Fannie by just threatening a filibuster in the Senate. The committee, we don't do things by committee in the Senate these days, approved the bill but the Leader let the thing die without debate. That sounds a lot like the Senate today.
Sometimes I think that their job is to fight each other. It would be instructive if they could find a way to do it that provides enlightenment to the public. All of this rancor about my team is great and yours stinks, teaches us nothing. Part of my Representative's job is to educate me on the issues involved. Thank goodness I'm old and don't need to be tending to children. I have the time to investigate all day. Sometimes, I need help on issues and it is hard to find. I'm talking about the old time League of Women voters who study public issues and published the whole truth, pros and cons. Most folks do not know the intricacies of bills being considered.

Last edited by crone; 09-21-2011 at 12:06 PM.. Reason: omission

Old 09-21-2011, 12:06 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Tell me where homeless people go to exercise their right for property?
I see why you've an issue with home as a property as a right. You said it is not a right, if a home can be taken away from you and a right can not be. However, you've yet to address if you see home as a property, and whether your argument applies to any property or are you selective about it.

To own a home is a right. The government can't prevent you from owning a home. The statement is correct. Your idea of homelessness is based on non-sense, an irrelevant but commonly used rhetoric.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:10 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
I see why you've an issue with home as a property as a right. You said it is not a right, if a home can be taken away from you and a right can not be. However, you've yet to address if you see home as a property, and whether your argument applies to any property or are you selective about it.

To own a home is a right. The government can't prevent you from owning a home. The statement is correct. Your idea of homelessness is based on non-sense, an irrelevant but commonly used rhetoric.
Government impeeds upon home ownership all the time. Where on gods earth do you live? I have a case next Tuesday to fight my township for a riparian setback law they passed impeeding upon my property without compensation.

Again, where does the homeless go to exercise this "right to a home" you claim exists?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:17 PM

13,651 posts, read 20,783,612 times
Did Bush really try to tell us about Fannie and Freddie in plenty of time?

No idea. Fannie and Freddie are two things most people consider not the greatest ideas. Yet they continue on and on.

Old 09-21-2011, 12:21 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
it not a right if I have to pay permission and taxes on it

dont pay the property tax..and the government can take it away...therefore it is not even cloose by defination to being a right

Old 09-21-2011, 12:23 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Government impeeds upon home ownership all the time. Where on gods earth do you live? I have a case next Tuesday to fight my township for a riparian setback law they passed impeeding upon my property without compensation.

Again, where does the homeless go to exercise this "right to a home" you claim exists?
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
it not a right if I have to pay permission and taxes on it

dont pay the property tax..and the government can take it away...therefore it is not even cloose by defination to being a right
Personally, I believe that there should be no such thing as property tax, because I believe owning a property is a right. Do you agree? Or do you believe that ownership of property is not a right?

Old 09-21-2011, 12:25 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,492,759 times
Quote:
Personally, I believe that there should be no such thing as property tax, because I believe owning a property is a right. Do you agree? Or do you believe that ownership of property is not a right?
I belive it SHOULD be a right..but that BECAUSE it is taxed. it is not a right

its the same with marriage....its NOT a right in the united states...not when you have to ask and pay for permission (a license tax) for it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies