Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 01:13 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
They are going to get upset and revolt as the sugar of entitlements have to be removed.
The days of reckoning afre coming.

Not enough jobs and no entitlements...how's that gonna work out?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 01:23 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
THAT'S the problem. Those who pay no federal income tax should not be able to vote in federal elections, period. If a rich person pays no federal income tax, then they DO NOT get to vote. Poor, rich, ...makes no difference.

Republicans in Michigan created a "nonhomestead tax" on rental property, this tax makes total school operating taxes on rental property four times the total school operating taxes on owner-occupied homes.

The vast majority of homeowners do not own any nonhomestead property, and when the nonhomestead tax is on the ballot, it usually passes by huge margins...often 2-1 or greater, sometimes more than 10-1.

Should homeowners who do not own nonhomestead property be able to vote on the nonhomestead tax which they do not pay?

Old 09-22-2011, 03:46 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,400,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Great idea. But let's start with those that voted for obama - after making such a horrible mistake, they might need some remedial civics lessons.
Why not start with those who voted to give us a tired, fear-mongering old man and a total ditz as the alternative instead?

Old 09-22-2011, 06:05 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,919,333 times
Does every person deserve a vote. No. The elderly who don't function mentally anymore, those who receive their living from govt. welfare, criminals, illegal aliens are a few groups I would suggest.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:16 AM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,547,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Time to shut your hampster wheels down for the nite.
okay that's cracked me up so much I spilled my coffee...thanks I needed a good laugh this morning

Old 09-22-2011, 06:43 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,670,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LI*TEA View Post
Anyone making under $1 million should not be allowed to vote. Or their vote should count only partially by the amount they make. For instance, 100k poor slobs should only get 1/10th a vote, etc. Someone screwed up the constitution. We need an amendment ASAP.
We own and run this country . Dont dare try to tax us more or we will take away your precious Medicare!!! And your social security!!
I enjoyed your satire.

I do, however, believe that only vets, active duty military, and property owners (even a house and not large amounts of land), and tax payers should be able to vote. Those are the only people that have "skin in the game" and have a vested interest in doing what is best for the nation, just not themselves.

Old 09-22-2011, 07:31 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,941,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I enjoyed your satire.

I do, however, believe that only vets, active duty military, and property owners (even a house and not large amounts of land), and tax payers should be able to vote. Those are the only people that have "skin in the game" and have a vested interest in doing what is best for the nation, just not themselves.
Which includes ALL Americans, since all pay taxes. Before you go off half-cocked, everyone pays sales taxes, heck even children do that, guess they can also vote under your rules

Old 09-22-2011, 07:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,822,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
If that $1 was their total federal income tax liability via the flat tax percentage that EVERYONE pays, then they get a vote.
Neat, so now we're off to the flat tax issue.

But, how much minimum should a person have to pay on poll tax (flat or not) before being eligible to vote? Does someone paying the minimum has his/her vote counted equally as another paying several hundred times more, or should such rights be calculated on some weighted scale?

Old 09-22-2011, 07:59 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomstudent View Post
That would be unconstitutional.
What's "constitutional" about voting yourself more and more of someone else's money?

Old 09-22-2011, 08:01 AM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Not enough jobs and no entitlements...how's that gonna work out?
We're going to find out because the freebies are unsustainable. It's basic math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies