Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Yes, that was a Reagan initiative in the 1980s.

Scientific evidence suggested that teens drinking alcohol accounted for a vastly large number of accidents. Reagan proposed a law that would withhold highway funds to any State that did not raise the drinking age to 21. The result was that highway fatalities dropped dramatically.

Please note, the federal government was fully within its rights to do so as it can decide how federal money is spent.

It also shows that back in the 1980s, there wasn't this ideological divide -- a conservative Republican President could work together and use federalism to the end of reducing the number of American deaths on the roads. Today, conservatives would let teens die in the name of States rights.
Two things.

1) There are more than 40,000 automobile deaths every year. What should be done about such a high number of automobile deaths? Statistically, trains are much safer than cars, so should we take everyone's car away and force them to ride mass transit?

2) The federal government might be "within their rights" to decide where "federal money" is spent. But that federal money doesn't just appear out of thin air. They confiscate that money from the states, then tell the states they can only have the money back if they do what they want them to do. It is bribery/extortion, and it is illegal as long as you aren't a government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2011, 11:37 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
[quote=ovcatto;21051906]

Quote:
I find it ironic that you would complain about that on a thread about the 10th Amendment. DON'T TAKE THE MONEY!
That's certainly a choice, but it doesn't change the fact that the Feds have the power to tell the states what to do. And that power comes from having so much money. I oppose ALL Federal revenue sharing.

Quote:
Big advocate of underaged drinking are we?
That's quite a stupid conclusion, so obviously you missed the point. The FEDS are telling us (adults) what we can and cannot drink. And the FEDS are quite stupid about this. They think people cannot mix their own Red Bull and Vodka....... This law will have zero impact on underage drinking.

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, are you opposed to federal funding for abortion?
Yes. I oppose ALL Federal subsidies including farms, energy, abortions, etc.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There you have it, free choice.

No, it's blackmail. Just like blackmail, you have a choice.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post
2) The federal government might be "within their rights" to decide where "federal money" is spent. But that federal money doesn't just appear out of thin air. They confiscate that money from the states, then tell the states they can only have the money back if they do what they want them to do. It is bribery/extortion, and it is illegal as long as you aren't a government.

Correct! Federal revenue sharing is like a cancerous crack high.

And I'm not sure how they twist the constitution to say they can collect more money in taxes than they need and then "share" it with the states.

That is a blatant power grab using the power of blackmail.

Blackmail: "any payment extorted by intimidation, as by threats of injurious revelations or accusations."

Old 09-27-2011, 12:33 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,288,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
would you be ok with a state legalizing heroin? what about polygamy? universal healthcare in a state? gay marriage? what about beastiality? what about unregulated financials or medicine? just checking that you mean it and don't think the 10th applies only to things you like.

not trying to offend you roadking, but the big problem with the 10th imo, is that people use it when it suits them. when it doesn't they turn their cheeks the other way
Poor argument, why would any state legalize the examples you state?
They would not, and there is no need for the Federal Government to enforce their rule of laws on individual states.
The truth is centralizing power in Washington makes government less accountable to its citizens.

When the control of the Senate was taken from the States, it was the biggest power grab in this countries history, next to the civil war.

We now have a government with no accountability to the citizens or the States what so ever.

Old 09-27-2011, 12:55 PM

913 posts, read 872,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Forces kids to break the law?? That's an interesting spin.

By the way, what about that federal funding for abortion thing, fer or agin it?

i'm against federal funding of just about everything. that should cut the federal tax rate to the bone and if individual states want to build highways, schools, hospitals, fire depts, railways etc they can either look to the private sector or they can tax their citizens. red states would do more of the former and blue states, more of the latter. i'd be happy in my state and you would be happy in yours.

what we have now is a president both of us dislike. me because i disagree with his ideology and you because he hasn't delivered ion his promises. bush was the exact opposite. you probably dislike his ideology, i disliked him because he reneged on his promises (humble foreign policy, no world policing, no child, prescription drug etc). the more power we get in dc the unhappier everyone will be, period

Old 09-27-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
Poor argument, why would any state legalize the examples you state?

they would not, that's exactly the point. it does however give states the leeway to experiment.

Old 09-27-2011, 01:43 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammbriggs View Post
i'm against federal funding of just about everything. that should cut the federal tax rate to the bone and if individual states want to build highways, schools, hospitals, fire depts, railways etc they can either look to the private sector or they can tax their citizens. red states would do more of the former and blue states, more of the latter. i'd be happy in my state and you would be happy in yours.

what we have now is a president both of us dislike. me because i disagree with his ideology and you because he hasn't delivered ion his promises. bush was the exact opposite. you probably dislike his ideology, i disliked him because he reneged on his promises (humble foreign policy, no world policing, no child, prescription drug etc). the more power we get in dc the unhappier everyone will be, period
The real question is what works best in a modern country that needs to compete globally. Relying upon local resources to fund the infrastructure for a modern country means you want to relegate the U.S. back to a 3rd World nation. The Chinese and Indians reading this thread would conclude that Americans have gone nuts. While they're using national money to re-build their country's infrastructure to compete, we're disinvesting.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
The real question is what works best in a modern country that needs to compete globally. Relying upon local resources to fund the infrastructure for a modern country means you want to relegate the U.S. back to a 3rd World nation. The Chinese and Indians reading this thread would conclude that Americans have gone nuts. While they're using national money to re-build their country's infrastructure to compete, we're disinvesting.

countries don't compete. individual business within those countries compete. allowing south carolina and california to construct their own roads would render us a 3rd world nation??? what you are saying is that if the europeans don't hurry up and give away more of their sovereignty to brussels to build their roads, they will remain third world countries. after all in europe, all the member states build and finance their own roads. i don't think american interstates are that much better

Old 09-27-2011, 03:19 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No, it's blackmail. Just like blackmail, you have a choice.
black·mail   [blak-meyl] Show IPA
noun
1. any payment extorted by intimidation, as by threats of injurious revelations or accusations.

2. the extortion of such payment: He confessed rather than suffer the dishonor of blackmail.

3. a tribute formerly exacted in the north of England and in Scotland by freebooting chiefs for protection from pillage.

"Words have meanings, when the meaning is lost we no longer have words."

Find a dictionary, they are free!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies