Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 09:07 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times

Advertisements

If they were on my property (like lurking or trying to break into my car), I'd use a paintball gun.
If they were in my house, I'd use one of my handguns or rifle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2011, 09:17 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,168,625 times
A lot of people here have defended the 18 year old boy, decrying that he had no choice, no job, no etc etc etc ad nauseum.

There is always a choice. Choices are what makes us. He made his choice. Had the roles been reversed, and had this young man been in his OWN home, had someone broke in, in the manner in which this young man broke into someone else's home, what would have been the reaction? Probably the same, since this man is intimately familiar with WHY the break in was performed, what the person is there for, and to what lengths the person may go to, to prevent being caught and tried in a court.

So, he CHOSE to break in, knowing full well the possible ramifications of his action.

He made his choice, and now suffered the most permanent of consequences, for his choice. If people understood, that they would always be shot and killed for breaking into someone's home, to steal from them, far fewer burglaries would be committed.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:23 PM

3,359 posts, read 7,326,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woof View Post
Other nations' court systems vary. Other states vary (one of the few quarrels I have with California law is that there's no such right to shoot at an intruder ..... from what I've read, there is a "duty to retreat" or something like that). But ethically speaking every home owner SHOULD have the right to assume that an intruder represents a threat to his life, and as such may be shot at. Maybe the shooting shouldn't continue if the intruder is twitching on the ground with hands outstretched and clearly incapacitated, but neither should there be an outcry if he dies.

Violently breaking into a home increases the chances of death to the occupants. There's NEVER a chance to fully assess the situation and see if the intruder is truly armed or not. "Hey, I'm here to rob you, but I don't have a weapon and you can make sure I don't by patting me down before I start taking stuff." One cannot be certain that the intruder means no harm. Therefore, a concern for loss of life is valid, and therefore shooting in self-defense is justified.

Yes the police have to investigate afterward to see if all was done in accordance with the law, if the person actually broke in or was instead a guest who quarreled, etc etc. Sure, they have to make sure it was valid self-defense later.
And by chance, what if the intruder had been a blonde haired lady wearing a bikini? (or any type of lady?)....would you assess the situation, or still shoot blindly?

Last edited by Time and Space; 10-02-2011 at 12:41 PM..

Old 10-02-2011, 12:37 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
how much you want to bet his mother will say that her son was a good boy and did not deserve to be shot for stealing other peoples property.
"He just liked to make people laugh but fell in with the wrong crowd..."

No, he *was* the wrong crowd. Fortunately, we can speak of him in the past tense!

Old 10-02-2011, 12:39 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,089,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
And by chance, what if the intruder had been a blonde haired lady wearing a bikini?
Then what would you do??
Then a thorough frisking is in order! Just to check for any concealed weapons, ya' know!

Old 10-02-2011, 03:23 PM

Location: where you sip the tea of the breasts of the spinsters of Utica
8,297 posts, read 14,166,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Time and Space View Post
And by chance, what if the intruder had been a blonde haired lady wearing a bikini? (or any type of lady?)....would you assess the situation, or still shoot blindly?
One should never shoot blindly. That could result in bullets going through the window and hitting someone outside.

I've never said an owner MUST shoot to kill someone who has entered. Of course if you can see the person fully and clearly and that person is naked, and not advancing toward you or crouching to be hidden, then you might choose not to shoot.

But if a blond in a bikini were to throw a rock through my window, enter, and hide behind some furniture where I couldn't see that she was doing with her hands ........ or see that she was actually truly female and without weapons ...... yes, I would feel justified in shooting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies