Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 09:19 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,952,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
I am sorry I didn't get back to you but I got off the forum soon after that post since I had to rest up a bit to get ready for the Glenn Beck which is my favorite 2 hours of each day.

My neighbor, Chuck, is really one of the nicest people I have ever known and works harder on whatever comes up but he doesn't care for illegal aliens so I guess that makes him nearly as racist as I am, huh?

This statement has nothing to do with someone telling a third generation American citizen to go home. How would Chuck like it if someone told him to go home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 09:52 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,154,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
20% are not your "bretheren"? First of all, learn how to spell. And how sad that you feel that way. I consider all to be my brethren. Even you.
Spelling Nazis are not tolerated on this forum.

Why do you consider me your brethren?

Old 09-30-2011, 02:50 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,136,272 times
Racism is probably increasing in the United States due to the high unemployment rate and the increasing number of nonwhite minorities. Some whites probably feels threatened by this potential loss of political power and thus are beginning to lash out. One manifestation of this anger is the Tea Party which isn't racist per se but it attracts many people who tend to have this feeling. The mainstream political establishment does not make this situation any better since they just accuse those who hold this sentiment of being racist without addressing the concerns that these people have regarding racial/ethnic diversity.

Whether diversity is good for America is arguably debatable. Nevertheless, the mainstream political establishment tends to only promote the beneficial side of diversity without considering the potential harm that diversity may entail while ostracizing those who hold the opposite view. This only aggravates those who feel that diversity isn't beneficial and this only increases racist sentiment.

I personally have no opinion on diversity as there are both benefits and drawbacks to it. Nevertheless, those who oppose diversity should be heard out as their voices are often silenced and ostracized.

Old 09-30-2011, 07:28 AM

11,531 posts, read 10,304,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardianlady View Post
I will say that I am more racist than I ever have been in the past .My biggest pet peeve is the spanish language on my food labels,dual language classes,test forms etc etc I go on and on . I feel like an outsider in my country,you go down to certain parts of Florida where I am from this is especially so .Everywhere I go the spanish speakers are mexican first ,and have virtually no reason to learn english and why should they you can live your life in this nation and not say a word .I would like to know with the millions of immigrants that have come to this country what makes the spanish population so special that they are shoving their language down my throat ?

There will become a day that the future generation will have to know spanish just to get a job so that they will adapt to their standards.In the Miami dade country area a couple of years back there was a push to make students learn spanish in the curriculm but,it was voted down by the voters .If that were to happen today I am not to sure of what the outcome would be .

Everytime I see someone that appears to be of Mexican appearance I look at them with outrage ,hatred and rage I agree "Go home!" she yelled at me. "Why don't you go back home to Mexico before you ruin this country like you ruined your own!"I am ashamed of the way spanish speaking immigrats have been able to push americans around and use our laws for their own benefit the 14 amendment comes guarantee citizenship comes to mind first .Not to even mention the fact the ALCU has to but it's nose into every single piece of legislation ..I don't like the fact that I am racist ,I enjoy learning other people's languages but I am ashamed of even being an American anymore ,and worry about where this country is heading .
This is view shared by many conservatives, even minority conservatives. At least this member is honest about it.

Interestingly not one conservative criticized this poster, some actually praised her. Now if it was a leftist who made these comments....

Old 09-30-2011, 09:56 AM

1,459 posts, read 3,301,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
Missed that. One person is not "far too many" of us.

this whole thread is about one person's experience of how they were told to go home.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:23 PM

1,077 posts, read 2,635,615 times
I'm responding even though I haven't read through all the posts. I read the first two pages and am already upset. As someone from a state that has YET to experience a huge amount of immigration movement (Montana) I can honestly say that I am not looking forward to it. I don't want to learn Spanish and I shouldn't have to, I live in America. I don't want Spanish being pushed on my children because "it's the wave of the future". My children's future is here in AMERICA. I am not racist. I am a firm believer in the country that I live in and my rights and freedoms. If someone wants to speak Spanish by all means speak Spanish but don't force me to have to learn it to live in America. We have folk's vacation here from all over the world and a lot of them do not speak English. That's fine, they are just visiting, we'll figure something out to communicate. I don't care what color skin a person has, BUT....if the color of your skin makes you feel like you are entitled to more than any other person here in America, then I have a problem. It's simple common courtesy. Would you walk into someone else's house and try decorating it the way your house is decorated and expect their kids to adhere to your rules? Then don't walk into America and expect Americans to conform to a Spanish lifestlye.

Old 09-30-2011, 05:47 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,231,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Spelling Nazis are not tolerated on this forum.

Why do you consider me your brethren?
Because I am sure that you, like me, want the same basic things- the ability to earn a living that will provide for our family, and access to health care and a good education for our children. And I believe that even those that have given up on believing that this is attainable want the same thing.

As for spelling, I think that if one is going off on an entire group of folks, they should at least take the trouble to spell check. Otherwise, you come off as uneducated and that takes away from the argument.

Old 10-01-2011, 01:07 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,875,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
Its obvious based on the backwards comments in this thread that far too many of you DON'T KNOW because everytime you see brown skin (or someone that you think is Hispanic) you think that person 1) speaks Spanish 2) is an illegal 3) any and all of the other nasty steretypes that exist about Hispanics

That is just about as accurate as stating that ALL White people are Klan members and live in trailer parks.
Funny, most Hispanics think all Asians are from China and refer to them as Chinos.

Quit with your BS .I've lived in S. California practically all my life and many Hispanics believe in stereotypes also so save it and GET REAL !!!

Old 10-01-2011, 02:03 AM

3,875 posts, read 3,875,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
Why don't they teach drivers education and sex education on the same day in Mexico?
Because the donkey would get too tired.
Not cool at all, unless your goal is to troll I see you getting banned quickly.

Old 10-01-2011, 02:22 AM

268 posts, read 392,177 times
Lighten up Anterez. Just trying to add a bit of redneck humor to a subject that can get heated. And I have read the forum rules thank you. It was not a personal attack however I have deleted it due to your sensitivities.

Back on topic. I can relate to the go home sentiment. I left CA. In 07 shortly after our town became a sanctuary city. after many years of having The Hispanic culture crammed down my throat I decided to move. I recall parent teacher meetings that had to be spoken in English then repeated in Spanish. There were Mexican flags on the car antennas. There was very little assimilation taking place. The first wave of immigrants came to become Americans. The Italians learned English. There was no press 1 for Italian. So ya, when I see the Mexican flag I want to pull it down and say your in America now, show some respect. I suspect we all have a bit of racism in us. It's human nature.

Last edited by handog; 10-01-2011 at 03:29 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies