Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 03:16 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhcom View Post
We are becoming more and more divided as people, not just along racial lines, but along all divisions.
Religion, political affiliation, economic status, union / non-union, strait, gay, everything.
There is an underlying hostility in people today; every group sees the others as villains.
I believe it is a result of the overall breakdown of our society. We as a people have become rude, self centered, un-educated, and self entitled.
Despite the fact that most people have more than they probably deserve, they believe the other person is somehow responsible for them not having more.
I think it all boils down to greed.
Greed has become the new universal religion of our country.
When you take away the American way of life:

LIVE AND LET LIVE

And ram things down peoples throats it's no wonder the hostility is boiling up..

I don't EVER want my kids to come out of school and see heads of people in the street nor do I want my wife to stumble across a pile of bodies on the highway...

Where does this come from?

Mexico

It's no wonder people have animosity towards Mexicans...

As far as greed goes, 'tis part of human nature...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2011, 03:17 PM

3,436 posts, read 2,949,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
come to Seattle, there has been a lot of sentiment wanting to tell Russians to go home

Who wants the Russians to go home? If they shout at them and tell them to go home for no apparent reason, then they are bigots too...

A man once pulled up next to me when I lived in San Diego, playing loud music that said something about hating n****rs and calling black people monkeys...he was racist and so happened to be white.

A lady once came up to a trolly stop when I lived in Boston, looked at me and said "is that a ******. She too was white and clearly mentally ill since she was talking to herself.

Many people have told me that I was different than other blacks or told me I am smart because of the white part of me.

Once my boss, who was Mexican asked me if black guys have a lot of hair on their chest. I laughed at this and looked at her like she was crazy.

Recently, a white landlord was on the news talking about how he refuses to rent to Africans because they are dirty and ruin property.

Of all incidents above, which are most offensive? 4 out of 5 of the people who did those things were white...this is my personal experience, but not JUST mine and you wonder why I say when someone shouts telling someone to go home, I assume that they are white. Bigots are bigots and I NEVER said that they all had to be white but when it comes to something like this, they usally are. Why are you okay with it either way? You argue with me and give the person who tells a citizen to go home a pass. I see where your loyalty lies.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:21 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
My encounter with anti-Latino racism - CNN.com

Atlanta (CNN) -- "Go home!" she yelled at me. "Why don't you go back home to Mexico before you ruin this country like you ruined your own!"

As a third-generation Mexican-American growing up in Los Angeles, I had never encountered such overt racism. In fact, because my family was long since assimilated, among my Latino friends I was always considered the "pocho" or "white boy" of the group. (As I write this, a part of me knows somewhere in L.A., a friend of mine will be proud to know someone actually considered me Mexican enough to yell "go home" at me.)

My Mexican friends remind me that I am American first, Mexican second and that my English is better than my Spanish.

People are angry, don't take offense. I can promise you that in "most" cases, those who are yelling such, if you were to sit down with them so the knew you were an American and not an illegal infringing, they would have nothing but good to say in terms of your nationality.

Remember, while we may look like some who are offenders, it doesn't make us an offender, only the facts do. Some people are emotional and are wrong to make accusations (people being stupid comes in all races and sizes), but the fact that someone was pre-judgemental in such does not invalidate their claim, it only invalidates their target of such.

I know some Americans who are of Mexican decent and have immigrated here illegally who would speak with far more vile and disgust for illegals than the encounter you had.

So do not sweat it. I always look at it this way. If someone is yelling out something, and it doesn't fit me, I don't even consider it. When they come up to you and accuse you of such, well.... make your position known and your fellow Americans will be there to defend you to the death!

Old 09-29-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factsplease View Post
Who wants the Russians to go home? If they shout at them and tell them to go home for no apparent reason, then they are bigots too...

A man once pulled up next to me when I lived in San Diego, playing loud music that said something about hating n****rs and calling black people monkeys...he was racist and so happened to be white.

A lady once came up to a trolly stop when I lived in Boston, looked at me and said "is that a ******. She too was white and clearly mentally ill since she was talking to herself.

Many people have told me that I was different than other blacks or told me I am smart because of the white part of me.

Once my boss, who was Mexican asked me if black guys have a lot of hair on their chest. I laughed at this and looked at her like she was crazy.

Recently, a white landlord was on the news talking about how he refuses to rent to Africans because they are dirty and ruin property.

Of all incidents above, which are most offensive? 4 out of 5 of the people who did those things were white...this is my personal experience, but not JUST mine and you wonder why I say when someone shouts telling someone to go home, I assume that they are white. Bigots are bigots and I NEVER said that they all had to be white but when it comes to something like this, they usally are. Why are you okay with it either way? You argue with me and give the person who tells a citizen to go home a pass. I see where your loyalty lies.
Not to get off topic but when are black people going to do something about their image?

Money and the government can't do it, white/yellow/brown people can't do it...

Old 09-29-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Not to get off topic but when are black people going to do something about their image?

Money and the government can't do it, white/yellow/brown people can't do it...

Personally, I am not responsible for the entire race. However, I do take personal responsiblity for my life, the lives of my children and my family. We are doing quite well. None of us are dependent on the goverment. Thanks for your concern.

As for image, Europeans have shown us that there is hope, you know you Europeans got rid of that whole manifest destiny thing (at least to an extent), slavery was abolished and Hitler was killed...too bad so many Native Americans, blacks and Jews had to die in the process. It's a good thing that every white person wasn't held accountable for those debacles.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:35 PM

1,459 posts, read 3,298,829 times
Quote:
Personally, I am not responsible for the entire race. However, I do take personal responsiblity for my life, the lives of my children and my family. We are doing quite well. None of us are dependent on the goverment. Thanks for your concern.

As for image, Europeans have shown us that there is hope, you know you Europeans got rid of that whole manifest destiny thing (at least to an extent), slavery was abolished and Hitler was killed...too bad so many Native Americans, blacks and Jews had to die in the process. It's a good thing that every white person wasn't held accountable for those debacles.
but you are holding an entire race responsible for the actions of a few?

Old 09-29-2011, 03:38 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,953,537 times
Quote:
It's a good thing that every white person wasn't held accountable for those debacles.
Or the black people held accountable for the slaves they had in history. /boggle

Quote:
You are not personally responsible but your race and your leaders are responsible for the image it has projected these past decades...

Quote:
First off I'm not a European nor of European descent.

It wasn't Europeans who offered up the next tribe for sale to the slavers...

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:

And the irony goes right over your head.

Old 09-29-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird2007 View Post
but you are holding an entire race responsible for the actions of a few?
Seriously...um no. I did not. Do you have a comprehension issue? I have no issue with any race as a whole. I have an issue with racists. I am part Finish, Scottish and Irish....I have no problem with my relatives. I don't hate white people, I dislike racists and most of the encounters thatI have had with it or heard about it are from whites. Do you understand what the words most and majority mean? They don't mean all. If you don't get that by now, you won't. I have asked you repeatedly, why are you condoning the bigotry described in the OP and continuosly singling out my posts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies