Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2011, 01:59 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
If you truly want to use that term, yes. It is right to kill a baby that's pre-viability and is all but a literal parasite on its host mother.

However, there is a stark difference between abortion and infanticide.

Abortion kills fetuses, who cannot depend on anyone else and technically under the constitution has no rights.

Infanticide kills infants, who can be passed from person to person, and under the constitution, HAS rights.
Both of my daughters could not survive on their own and we had to feed, bathe them, etc for quite some time after birth. By your logic they could have been killed at any time.

But when does a baby become "viable"? Birth? 8 months of gestation? 5? Viability is a stupidly irrational method of determining abortability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
"Pretty safe" doesn't mean much if you are the one who dies.

You have no right to force someone to put their life on the line because of what YOU think.
Don't do the deed then. It's not complicated. I don't get why you guys can't figure that out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,321,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
And back to the same old logic.

Women who seek abortions are BAD, BAD people who deserve to be punished by forcing them to endure an unwanted pregnancy.

They are 1. Stupid. Too stupid to use birth control, or too stupid to use birth control properly. Because, according to anti-abortion advocates, birth control never, ever fails. Wrong.

Or they're stupid because they don't understand that they are pregnant with a BABY. Of course, the fact that the majority of women seeking abortions already have children sort of contradicts this.

They are 2. Irresponsible. See argument #1.

They are 3. Immoral. Sluts. Whores. Very Bad Women who evidently have sex just for the purpose of hopefully getting to have an abortion.

BAD Women. PUNISH them!
Nope. Nope. Nope. And nope.

This, for me at least, is a discussion of the quite possibly quite serious responsibility taken when the decision is made to terminate nascent life.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:00 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,368,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Because it's right to kill a baby?
We're talking about ab ortion , NOT killing babies. Try and keep up!

Quote:
He intended us to enjoy it within the bounds of marriage. If you're married, have at it to your heart's content. In fact, you owe it to your spouse to make sure he/she is satisfied and happy. It'll draw you closer together and you'll both be a lot better off for it.
So, in SanctimoniousLand, if a married couple's method of birth control fails and they neither want nor can afford a pregnancy, it's just tough luck, eh?

Believe whatever you want at home and in church but keep those beliefs away from the law of the land Thank You very much!

Old 10-03-2011, 02:02 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,042,470 times
Quote:
Both of my daughters could not survive on their own
Reading comprehension.

I never said they could survive on their own.

Try again.

Quote:
But when does a baby become "viable"?
When the child can survive outside of the womb.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:05 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,615,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
We're talking about ab ortion , NOT killing babies. Try and keep up!
Abortion does kill babies.
Quote:

So, in SanctimoniousLand, if a married couple's method of birth control fails and they neither want nor can afford a pregnancy, it's just tough luck, eh?

Believe whatever you want at home and in church but keep those beliefs away from the law of the land Thank You very much!
How many abortions are actually because of a married couple's birth control failing?
Is it reasonable to just kill the kid then because mom and dad don't want him/her? Adoption would be an excellent alternative for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantasy Tokoro View Post
Reading comprehension.

I never said they could survive on their own.

Try again.

When the child can survive outside of the womb.

Survive how? With extreme medical procedures? Minor? Nothing to help them breathe, etc?

What is that cutoff point? 20 weeks? 24? Can you say for sure? Are you in favor of a sliding scale where abortion becomes illegal earlier and earlier? It used to be that 28 weeks was impossible. Now babies are born much earlier than that and survive.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM

15,700 posts, read 17,041,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I brought Sanger in to this because it's important to bear the motives in play at the beginning of the modern 'pro-choice' movement.

I do not want to ban abortions. I just think people shouldn't be quite so blithe to defend abortion on demand is all.

How can I 'force' my beliefs on anyone in a democratic republic? The only thing of consequence I can do on the subject is vote my conscience. Just as, I assume, you vote yours.

Look: we're not going to solve a single problem or moral question in this world on an internet forum. All we're going to manage to do here is exchange ideas and perhaps understand why people who feel different on the issues of the day and life in general feel the way they do.
No, it is not important. Abortion, as it is practiced today, has absolutely nothing to do with genocide.

In fact, bringing genocide into the discussion is nothing more than playing the "race card". Abortion is not a race issue.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:06 PM

Quote:
There are thousands upon thousands of men who have escaped financial repsonsibility for their children.....they just walk away.....move away.....quit working or work under the table.

A woman cannot escape the effects of pregnancy.....in fact.....it could cost a woman her life.

How many men die becoming fathers?

If we forced men to work.....why all of the kids on welfare?
And men ducking that responsibilty are despicable. A question remains, though: If it is the woman's choice and her choice alone why is it not her responsibilty alone as well? In any case, if the child is brought to term the question of what happens during an abortion is no longer a central issue in that particular case.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Abortion does kill babies.
Technically.

More correctly, abortion kills fetuses.

Quote:
How many abortions are actually because of a married couple's birth control failing?
Trying to find statistics from a non-biased site on this, but that's rather hard due to how politically charged this issue is.

Quote:
Is it reasonable to just kill the kid then because mom and dad don't want him/her?
As long as said kid is not viable, then yes.

Quote:
Adoption would be an excellent alternative for them.
Not for everyone.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Survive how? With extreme medical procedures? Minor? Nothing to help them breathe, etc?
My personal opinion?

Minor medical procedures.

However, while it varies from state to state, the cutoff point generally is 24 weeks of age, and I do agree with that.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
No, it is not important. Abortion, as it is practiced today, has absolutely nothing to do with genocide.

In fact, bringing genocide into the discussion is nothing more than playing the "race card". Abortion is not a race issue.
Okay, for the sake of further argument I'll stipulate that abortion is a question not of race but of life and death. That still leaves me in the same place, though. So...when it comes time to vote why should I change my mind when deciding what lever to pull?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies