Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,803,248 times

Advertisements

This case is exactly why I support uniforms for public school.

Can't even wear a rosary around your neck above the shirt in the open at the parochial school where I send my kids, as it doesn't meet the dress code. Unless it is part of a religious function.

Only nuns, priests and brothers wear them as part of their vestments, habits and clerical uniforms.

It appears that the girls intent was to wear it as a piece of jewelry which in and of itself could be considered sacrilegious.

I side with the school on this one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 12:34 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
She wants to wear something decoratively, not religiously, and the school has prohibited it because of its association with gang members

I don't think the school would have a problem if this were a religious issue, where she kept the rosaries in her pocket or out of sight, and was using the rosary to keep track of her prayers. The problem is that she wants to display it.

The ACLU is pursuing this case because it's important that we fight to keep things of this nature in the public discourse, that we don't allow bad people to co-opt symbols or items for their own purposes.

And I'll point out that this girl's desire to display the rosary as a decorative piece of jewelry isn't all that different from someone who wants to display the Confederate flag.
I personally have a problem with rosary (prayer) beads in the pocket
because in the very old days one hid their rosary beads for fear
of being strung up and having their throat slit for their beliefs.

The Armenian/Assyrians/Greeks conflict of 1913 comes to mind...

Regardless of why she wants to "wear beads" ...the school should either
enact a policy of "no jewelry" to all students, frisk them at the door,
spray them with antiseptic and do a body search - oh wait ...that's
prison... Thankful for home schooling....

Last edited by pollyrobin; 10-05-2011 at 01:50 PM..

Old 10-05-2011, 01:22 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_Ryder View Post
Apologies. Being Lutheran then you too are Trinitarian so you too have likely had more than the occasional evangelical call you everything from Satan's minion to an idol worshiper. It happens a lot to Catholics and it gets old. I'm sure you can at least on some level empathize and understand where the frustration comes from.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
I agree with this; I am always correcting people ("Um, of course I'm Christian; Catholics are Christians")
but to be fair I didn't read her post as "Catholics aren't Christians"
--rather as she's Christian but not the Catholic variety.

I think I may have. Sorry about that.
Also, do you mean you don't think we should wear even simple crosses/crucifixes?
or just the garish ones (I'm going by the "costume jewelry" description.)

I would agree on the garish stuff but I don't see anything wrong with simple cross jewelry
(well, that which does not involve a rosary, as you can imagine! )
Apologies accepted. Re: religious jewelry-I have a cross that I occasionally wear. I recall a few years back when all the fashion mags (at least the ones my daughters read that are geared to teens/young adults) were showing models wearing crosses and I thought it was sacrilegious. It seemed like they were wearing them for a fashion accessory rather than b/c they were saying "I am a Christian". That is what I meant. I had no idea that rosaries were the latest such 'fashion statement', or that they are gang related.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:26 PM

5,513 posts, read 5,253,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Elizabeth Carey, Nebraska Student, Banned From Wearing Religious Necklace With Gang Link At School

FREMONT, Neb. -- A Nebraska school district has banned a necklace that looks like a rosary after police told officials it's also being worn by gang members.

Omaha Catholic Archdiocese Chancellor Rev. Joseph Taphorn says Christians shouldn't have to give up a symbol of their faith because others misuse it.

The American Civil Liberties Union opposes the policy, saying it violates the rights of free speech and religion.

Twelve-year-old Elizabeth Carey says she was told by her principal she couldn't wear her necklace. Her parents say they are upset that their daughter is not being allowed to express her religious beliefs.
Wearing a rosary around your neck is sacrilegious, unless the Roman Catholic Church changed policy since I was a kid. The girl wearing it around her neck either never learned this, or is NOT expressing a religious belief at all--merely mocking it.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:36 PM

4,421 posts, read 6,279,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
Wait a minute. How is this possible? Almost every day we're hearing here about how the ACLU is an atheistic organization that is trying to stamp out religion.
Yes, but the ACLU only sides with "victims". If another student of a non-Christian faith was offended by the necklace, and sued the school for allowing it, they would have sided with that plaintiff, not the school. We would have heard something like separation of church and state.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,038,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
Wearing a rosary around your neck is sacrilegious, unless the Roman Catholic Church changed policy since I was a kid. The girl wearing it around her neck either never learned this, or is NOT expressing a religious belief at all--merely mocking it.
Catholics aren't the only ones who use "prayer beads"...

Old 10-05-2011, 01:42 PM

90,296 posts, read 121,034,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
Yes, but the ACLU only sides with "victims". If another student of a non-Christian faith was offended by the necklace, and sued the school for allowing it, they would have sided with that plaintiff, not the school. We would have heard something like separation of church and state.
You are wrong.

The ACLU Fights for Christians

ACLU Defense of Religious Practice and Expression | American Civil Liberties Union

The ACLU Is Not Evil | Christianity Today | A Magazine of Evangelical Conviction

Plus, much more!

Old 10-05-2011, 01:54 PM

525 posts, read 901,801 times
Status symbols. Hey I wonder if they let the students run around with their pants around their ankles like the rappers do? That's some funny s--t watching those dudes walking down the street holding their pants up, ha , real freakin nice.

Old 10-05-2011, 01:58 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,033,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
The reason that this is a freedom of speech issue and not a freedom of religion issue is that this has nothing to do with her beliefs. She wants to wear something decoratively, not religiously
Wrong.

"Her parents say they are upset that their daughter is not being allowed to express her religious beliefs."

Old 10-05-2011, 02:00 PM

7,006 posts, read 7,008,936 times
Nebraska has gangs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies