Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:14 AM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldengrain View Post
It is partially at least about a religion's attempt to influence politics, getting them thrown out of one town after another.
Back in the 1800s, Mormons definitely did vote as a block, and they were strongly abolitionist. That didn't play out well in Missouri, for sure. I question, though, that their political views justified driving them out of their homes in the dead of winter and forcing them to leave the country under the threat of literal extermination. They were made to haul their meager belongings 1300 miles across the Great Plains because the good Christian people in the Midwest didn't want them as neighbors. Did you know that there was actually a law on the books of the state of Missouri up until 1976 that made it legal to kill a Mormon anywhere in the state? I'm not saying that the Mormons did nothing whatsoever to warrant the animosity, but it's not exactly illegal for any religious group to have similar political views, too. With very few exceptions, the Mormons were good neighbors and law-abiding citizens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2011, 11:37 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm sorry, but neither of you have any idea how superficial your understanding of Mormonism is. Regardless of what you may read on the almighty Wiki, there is another side to the story, and a whole lot of facts you're just plain unaware of. The thing is, that discussion belongs on the Religion forum and not on the Politics one.

Actually the Wiki link was not presented as definitive and I have done quite a bit of study on Mormonism as well as other beliefs to have a good understanding of what each believes and the teaching of their Doctrines.
It certainly falls outside of just being "another denomination".
Far enough out that Dr. Jeffress is free to say that in his beliefs.

This is a political controversy and as become both in nature.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:47 AM

27,145 posts, read 15,322,979 times
Got to add that I would not keep me from a candidate if I felt them best for the Office.

Unfortunately I haven't seen a good candidate for decades.

Old 10-09-2011, 11:57 AM

474 posts, read 905,567 times
Another example of churches meddling in politics. Why do they get a tax deduction?

It doesn't matter if it is fundamental Baptists, Muslims, or Rev. Wright. They are acting as political organizations and the tax deduction should go away.

Old 10-09-2011, 12:11 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,970,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Actually the Wiki link was not presented as definitive and I have done quite a bit of study on Mormonism as well as other beliefs to have a good understanding of what each believes and the teaching of their Doctrines.
It certainly falls outside of just being "another denomination".
Far enough out that Dr. Jeffress is free to say that in his beliefs.

This is a political controversy and as become both in nature.
I'm not sure who gets to decide what's just "another denomination" and what's not. That seems like a pretty arbitrary statement to me. Granted, Dr. Jeffries is entitled to his own opinion; he's just not entitled to his own facts.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:46 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazznblues View Post
Another example of churches meddling in politics. Why do they get a tax deduction?

It doesn't matter if it is fundamental Baptists, Muslims, or Rev. Wright. They are acting as political organizations and the tax deduction should go away.
I totally agree.
I think religious groups have no business mouthing off about political issues. Their business should be bringing their adherents closer to god.

I do think they have a place in society, though.
They have just gotten too big and influential.

Old 10-09-2011, 03:48 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,647,085 times
There are many good reasons not to vote for Romney. His being a Morman is not one of them.

Old 10-09-2011, 04:00 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,974,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
There are many good reasons not to vote for Romney. His being a Morman is not one of them.
Romney may be an old fashioned moderate Republican, which is why he seems so wishy-washy to the tea partyers. His religion does not seem to have influenced his politics thus far, no?

Old 10-10-2011, 09:28 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,194,486 times
This issue happens to be the one thing conservative christians are correct about but it won't matter since republicans will line up to vote for Romney in the general election regardless of their personal misgivings.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:38 AM

4,991 posts, read 4,505,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by box_of_zip_disks View Post
This issue happens to be the one thing conservative christians are correct about but it won't matter since republicans will line up to vote for Romney in the general election regardless of their personal misgivings.
Correct yes, hypocritical yes, delusional absolutely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies